VOB BiB dropped age statement

Beer&Bourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was at TPS the other night picking up some presents when I wandered past one of my favorite bottom shelf bourbons of all time. I didn't think to take a photo, but the new neck label of the VOB BiB has a 6 rather than the "Aged 6 Years" statement. I didn't look around on the label to see if the age statement is still present elsewhere, but this is a mighty sad event. I didn't see it posted anywhere yet so I thought I'd let everyone know.

i considered buying some today, and I noticed the '6' on the neck, but didnt think to look close enough to see if it said '6 years' or not. at $12 a bottle, it wouldnt surprise me to see it lose an age statement, but i wouldnt jump to conclusions either.

squire will know.......

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. There are some exceptionally fine bourbons released lately but at the cost of losing some of the most attractive old timers. AAA 10YO redirected to more upscale bottlings, for example. My last handle of VOB with Aged 6 Years on the neck band is close to empty. I sincerely hope I don't have to replace it with younger juice. VOB is my favorite BIB regardless of price.

Has anyone seen squire? Someone hide all the guns and sharp objects in Mississippi.

Squire has left the building....last seen heading north on I-65 (just south of Bowling Green Ky), driving a stolen 18 wheeler, with emergency flashers on!

Barton security has called in all reinforcements....the BG Parkway and I-64 between Louisville and Frankfort are closed until further notice!

That sucks..just as we got the 6 year 86 proof reliably here in Texas. 4 years (or less) ain't going to cut it..

So should we blame the Internet?? Would this have happened if Sourmashmanifesto and WhiskyAdvocate blogs had not given such high praise????

before people fly off the handle, someone post a picture of the alleged label that DOESNT say '6 years' on it.......

before people fly off the handle, someone post a picture of the alleged label that DOESNT say '6 years' on it.......

Are you a lawyer? It's the interwebs yo & VOB is guilty 'til proven innocent ;)

We go through this every time an age statement is removed. If it has the characteristics you like, who cares about its age. If it doesn't, don't buy it. There are new bourbons entering the market. I recall the major whining that greeted the elimination of the age statement on Weller Antique. In my opinion, the bottle of NAS Weller Antique t,hat I purchased was superior to the age stated. Of course, the distillery can use younger bourbon; however, until the characteristics are inferior, I will continue to buy it.

In the case of VOB BIB, I am not certain how much difference it will make as long as the taste is the same. However, the perception is that you are paying the same, or possibly more, and getting less. Whiskey production is no different than any other industry in this trend, except the explosive demand is creating shortages over a relatively short period of time. Short of removing the age statement, they would probably be looking at allocating the product. The trend of removing age statements will continue until the next down cycle.

I have been buying 750's of the HH BIB white label recently. It's only been available at one store and when I went to grab one last week they were all gone. They do have handles, but they don't say 6 years old anywhere. After trying the HH BIB 4 black/gold label at 4 years old head to head with the 6 year old I think there is not comparison. The extra two years makes all the difference. I saw a handle in the picture above and was wondering if it has the same taste profile as the 6 year even though it may not be 6 years old.

Also, VOB BIB being changed at all would make me very sad. It's right at the top of my list for taste and value.

I have been buying 750's of the HH BIB white label recently. It's only been available at one store and when I went to grab one last week they were all gone. They do have handles, but they don't say 6 years old anywhere. After trying the HH BIB 4 black/gold label at 4 years old head to head with the 6 year old I think there is not comparison. The extra two years makes all the difference. I saw a handle in the picture above and was wondering if it has the same taste profile as the 6 year even though it may not be 6 years old.

Also, VOB BIB being changed at all would make me very sad. It's right at the top of my list for taste and value.

I emailed BT for confirmation on this. If they respond, I'll post here.

FYI - their website still shows 6 year age statement and I've found no updates on TTB label site.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.