VOB BiB dropped age statement

Beer&Bourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Barton could easily reintroduce one of their dormant labels, particularly the 8 & 10 age stated ones, or just use the old stock to stretch out their basic supply to make it more available Nationwide.

Basil Hayden 8yr and Basil Hayden NAS are very different. WSR 7yr is much lighter than new WSR. The flavors are inconsistent when these age statements fall off.

Agreed.

I drank a lot of 7 year Weller (WSR and OWA)...probably too much :) It has steadily gotten worse after it became NAS..to the point now where I don't buy it at all, just the 12 year. OWA went from being this big, complex, brute of a bourbon to something that tastes like brown sugar and alcohol. I think that when something becomes NAS there is less effort put into it as well as the obvious fact that it is going to be younger.

And Fricky posted earlier about the nas OWA but I'll make the possible mistake of assuming he was referring to the first issue of it which was quite good but went downhill from there. Agree with Tex on latest.

:(. Damn, and I just killed my bottle the past weekend. I thought it was no big deal and that I could just pick up some more next time I was at the liquor store. I didn't realize I was drinking the last of the breed. Maybe I can find a few more before they are extinct.

... use the old stock to stretch out their basic supply to make it more available Nationwide.

This would seem to make the most sense, given what we learned recently that they were expanding distribution.

And Fricky posted earlier about the nas OWA but I'll make the possible mistake of assuming he was referring to the first issue of it which was quite good but went downhill from there. Agree with Tex on latest.

Is there a way to bottle-date these? The one I just bought is pretty good, but we may not go through it as fast in Minnesota.

Yeah right after they went NAS and folks started reporting on their experience it seemed like there was a sigh of relief..like it wouldn't be that much of change. Everyone's taste is different so I am sure some might prefer NAS OWA bottled this year to a 7 year/107 Antique but I would be VERY surprised if the same taster didn't agree that they were very different. I imagine we will see this with VOB. I imagine the stuff with the 6 on it right now is nearly indistinguishable from the 6 year..but in a year the stuff will be very young and very different... :(

Is there a way to bottle-date these? The one I just bought is pretty good, but we may not go through it as fast in Minnesota.

I am sure there is but I don't know how. Maybe one of the experienced dusty hunter folks can help out.

Think we can pull a Makers and get enough folks complaining about it to make them reconsider? I already know the answer and this bites, especially the way the left the number 6 on label for point of deception.

Think we can pull a Makers and get enough folks complaining about it to make them reconsider? I already know the answer and this bites, especially the way the left the number 6 on label for point of deception.

What's sad is we only started to see VOB BIB locally. 4 year old VOB vs. 6 year old VOB = 2 more years in the rick house to store something else + charging the same price for something cheaper to make. Leaving the number on the label after going to NAS; very shadey, no matter who does it.

It was always hard to get here, the four VOB BiB I have (and one opened) were acquired through connections where it was available. I guess these are now my first official "dusties" - I'd be happy to never acquire a dusty if they'd leave this alone.

This is actually a really good point. Plus they've already turned 10 high into a "bourbon, a blend" in most markets. So where is all that aged whiskey going?

Plus, "supposedly" 1792 is a different mashbill. But I'm not sure I believe that. We don't get VOB in Minnesota anyway, but I did enjoy it back when TPS still shipped.

:(. Damn, and I just killed my bottle the past weekend. I thought it was no big deal and that I could just pick up some more next time I was at the liquor store. I didn't realize I was drinking the last of the breed. Maybe I can find a few more before they are extinct.

And I've never even been able to try it yet. Been looking for about a year and can't find any.

Well, at least a case or two made it to Houston before they dropped the age statement. I guess thats better than nothing.

The store I stopped at tonight still decent amount of the 6 year old 86 proof, but I'll probably pass on it.

post-8931-14489820084102_thumb.jpg

Edited by Quantum

Has anyone done a side by side comparison yet? I'll do one over the weekend if my UPS man shows up tomorrow with 2 of the new bottles.

Guessing that its very similar if not the exact same stuff right now. Give it a year or two and then do a SBS, ha.

Yeah, I'd wait a bit to get a true comparison.

Of course the 80 proof Very Old Barton has been four years old for some time now.

so is HH BIB white the only cheap(sub $15), good, age stated bourbon left?

I still maintain that once EW BIB gets established nationwide, that the HH 6 year will suddenly disappear.

Switching products to NAS, especially lower-priced ones, is a trend that has been going on for years. Producers argue that it's maturity, not age, that matters, and that's true to a point. Keeping the '6' on the bottle may be a scam, but it's a venerable one. Many producers have done it. Numbers suggest age without claiming it, like a certain 'Old No. 7.'

Regardless of what they'll claim, it's a different product without the age statement, inevitably, but that doesn't mean it's a bad product. If VOB is in your wheelhouse, don't cut it out of your portfolio just because of this. If it stops tasting good to you, that's a different matter.

Still, I'll miss the old guy. We had a lot of good years together. But all good things come to an end. It's shitstorms that never stop.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.