VOB BiB dropped age statement

Beer&Bourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Once I make it back to TPS, I'll snap a picture of the bottles down there. Sorry for the disappointing news everyone.

To those who say the taste not the age is what's important: I agree, but if you've tasted the difference in HH white label (6 year) vs. gold label (4 year), you know that even that small change in time can have a huge effect on flavor. VOB BiB is unlikely a big money maker so I doubt BT would worry about destroying the reputation of this bottom shelfer. I hope I'm wrong, but I plan to pick up some of the age stated stuff that is still on shelves around the area in case things do go downhill.

Distillers will tell you they are matching a profile and that age statements aren't important. However, history has shown that they aren't always able to accurately replicate the profile when they start adding younger whiskey. The masses might not notice but regular patrons of their product and enthusiasts will.

what does Buffalo Trace have to do with this? Both Barton and BT are owned by the same company. Wouldn't complaining to BT about a Barton bourbon be like complaining to a Cadillac dealer about your Corvette (same parent company, but sister brands)?

Distillers will tell you they are matching a profile and that age statements aren't important. However, history has shown that they aren't always able to accurately replicate the profile when they start adding younger whiskey. The masses might not notice but regular patrons of their product and enthusiasts will.

We go through this every time an age statement is removed. If it has the characteristics you like, who cares about its age. If it doesn't, don't buy it. There are new bourbons entering the market. I recall the major whining that greeted the elimination of the age statement on Weller Antique. In my opinion, the bottle of NAS Weller Antique t,hat I purchased was superior to the age stated. Of course, the distillery can use younger bourbon; however, until the characteristics are inferior, I will continue to buy it.

Introducing the new, improved, smoother, more drinkable 80 proof Bourbon aged for a full two years and conveniently packaged in a lightweight plastic container. We did the research and that's what the customers said they wanted, really.

i was at the pharmacy today and walked over to the bourbon aisle and looked for myself. Indeedy....there is just a '6' on the neck now, not a '6 year' statement. All the proof ranges were the same way.

calm down, squire.......

One last pour to say goodbye...

My last pour from a Constellation bottling earlier this year. Kept this at a friend's house where we go a couple times a year but they only serve

wine and beer. Treated me so good over a few years that I had to take a picture before saying goodbye.

post-3665-14489820083119_thumb.jpg

. . . . If the age statement is dropped, then a wider selection of barrels could be used in it. This could allow more good stuff to be used, but it also allows more "not good" stuff to be used. . . .

It also allows the good stuff to be redirected to a more expensive brand.

I think you can pretty much guarantee if there is good older stuff, it will be redirected to a more expensive brand. You don't need to go NAS to add older whiskey to an age-stated bottling. If they were doing that and dropped the age statement to add younger whiskey to make a more balanced dram, then OK. But how often has that happened with brands that have recently dropped age statements?

Barton only has a premium brand to out sell the 6 yr VOB BIB and that is the 1792. All others are bottom shelves. So don't know what they would be taking their aged ? stock off for.

Edited by p_elliott

what does Buffalo Trace have to do with this? Both Barton and BT are owned by the same company. Wouldn't complaining to BT about a Barton bourbon be like complaining to a Cadillac dealer about your Corvette (same parent company, but sister brands)?

Both are listed on the BT great bourbon website.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

So should we blame the Internet?? Would this have happened if Sourmashmanifesto and WhiskyAdvocate blogs had not given such high praise????

Last summer it started showing up at a lot of trendy hipster bars here in Chicago.

We go through this every time an age statement is removed. If it has the characteristics you like, who cares about its age. If it doesn't, don't buy it. There are new bourbons entering the market. I recall the major whining that greeted the elimination of the age statement on Weller Antique. In my opinion, the bottle of NAS Weller Antique t,hat I purchased was superior to the age stated. Of course, the distillery can use younger bourbon; however, until the characteristics are inferior, I will continue to buy it.

Basil Hayden 8yr and Basil Hayden NAS are very different. WSR 7yr is much lighter than new WSR. The flavors are inconsistent when these age statements fall off.

Basil Hayden 8yr and Basil Hayden NAS are very different. WSR 7yr is much lighter than new WSR. The flavors are inconsistent when these age statements fall off.

It may not be a sudden profile shift, but it does change and the recent examples of this are many.

Another casualty of the bourbon boom, sadly.

Barton only has a premium brand to out sell the 6 yr VOB BIB and that is the 1792. All others are bottom shelves. So don't know what they would be taking their aged ? stock off for.

This is actually a really good point. Plus they've already turned 10 high into a "bourbon, a blend" in most markets. So where is all that aged whiskey going?

Plus, "supposedly" 1792 is a different mashbill. But I'm not sure I believe that. We don't get VOB in Minnesota anyway, but I did enjoy it back when TPS still shipped.

Really wonder what they're doing with the Barton juice. Can't go into 1792 since the mashbill is different, and surely Jeffer's Creek and Trader Joe's didn't put enough of a dent in their stocks.

What's next, Sazerac?

If they don't have enough stock to keep the age statement, that's one thing. I understand certain business decisions need to be made to keep the supply line fed.

But to leave the "6" on the necker, when it's now a NAS?!? Hey, if anyone at Sazerac is reading this: You guys are a bunch of douche-bag weasels.

If they don't have enough stock to keep the age statement, that's one thing. I understand certain business decisions need to be made to keep the supply line fed.

But to leave the "6" on the necker, when it's now a NAS?!? Hey, if anyone at Sazerac is reading this: You guys are a bunch of douche-bag weasels.

Well this happens a lot. EW 1783 says "number 10 brand" WT when it dropped 8yr was old num 8 for a while.

No crap, if you're going to drop the age statement, fine. If you want to market it as the old number 6 brand, fine.

The new Barton bottle is nothing short of a bait and switch. Completely a deceptive package in my eyes. Definitely a weasel move from what I can see in that picture.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.