Wild Turkey Diamond Anniversary

sob0728
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I love me some WT. 101 bourbon & rye along with the new RB taste great and are a fantastic value. Some of these other "LE's" just leave something to be desired especially at their price points. Now if it was cask strength I have no doubt I would have shelved out the bucks.

• 3 weeks later...

I was at a Binny's this week and they had one in the glass case, then went for a stroll down the aisle and there were about 10 of them piled on the shelf. These would have much better sellers above 100 proof.

• 2 months later...

There was a bunch of this on the shelves at my local store. I picked up a bottle for $99. That's a little spendy for me, but I haven't bought anything in a while.

Lots of it still on the shelves here for $149 but wouldn't pay $99 if we had it that low.

I don't understand WT's marketing lately. I love me some WTRB and WT101 plus the rye 101 but I just don't get their LE's

Lots of it still on the shelves here for $149 but wouldn't pay $99 if we had it that low.

I don't understand WT's marketing lately. I love me some WTRB and WT101 plus the rye 101 but I just don't get their LE's

I saw it as "low" as $110 here but still didn't pull the trigger. I *might* give it some pause for consideration at $99. Big maybe, though.

I managed to get one of these on sale for $90 a while ago. It's pretty darn good but I don't think I'd buy another at that price.

• 3 months later...

I bought some at $99 today, after months of seeing it on shelves. I opened it up and poured some--my initial thoughts is that it's unmistakably Wild Turkey, a bit more depth than 101, a bit lighter than Rare Breed, a bit of bitterness in the finish likely from the oak and tannins. Overall a good bourbon, but overpriced and underproofed (though wondering because of the tannins if it were bottled at 101 it may be a bit overoaked?), especially considering the quality and price of WT101 and WTRB.

• 2 months later...

I had a chance to try this at a bar last night, after passing on a bottle when it was released. I agree it had the WT profile and I was surprised at the dryness at the end (but it makes sense, being older than your typical WT offering). It's hard to say without trying the same thing at higher proof but I didn't feel the low proof was an issue. I enjoyed the pour. Had I purchased a bottle, I would still have been happy with my purchase. But I am also glad I have tasted it and am able to make the decision not to buy a bottle now, based purely on taste/cost ratio.

It will also serve as a comparison for when I open my bottle of WT Master's Keep.

Jason

Jason, The MK is far superior, though in a similar vein as far as dry/woody. Better by a good bit to my taste buddies.

Yet, I am not sorry to have passed on the MK, too. The Diamond really wasn't up to the price. The Master's Keep is rather closer to being so. Interesting palate; nice though dry, finish and certainly better quality overall, IMHO.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm going to open mine today, I'm in a Turkey mood. I'll post my thoughts on it in a week or so. So far from what I've read people like the taste but wish for a higher proof.

On 12/8/2015, 11:24:06, SebastianLloyd said:

Will Turkey always been the underdog?

Wild Turkey always been the overpriced.  But now others giving them a run for the money.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.