Wild Turkey Diamond Anniversary

sob0728
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yeah. It ain't no great shakes. Glad to have tried it though. Easy pass.

Interesting. Was thinking about buying this but sounds like I should try it first.

Yes, I was glad to try it too. Thanks to Bruce for taking one for the team.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Yes, I was glad to try it too. Thanks to Bruce for taking one for the team.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I think there was a little bit left in the bottle from the Gazebo. The reviews were generally as above, OK but not overwhelming. Thought so as well. I can bring it to the next GBS event if I remember and don't drink the rest of it before then...

I picked up a second one since I figured the one hitting the table might not return alive and Gregg/Gburger was kind enough to get Jimmy Russell to sign it at the Sampler. So that one may sit on the shelf a while, to be opened only in the case of a bourbon emergency!

Times 3 here. Thanks Bruce. FWIW, I pretty much agree with what has already been said by everyone else.

Joe

Thanks a forth time Bruce, saved me a trip to the distillery and a few dollars on Saturday as I was leaving. I appreciate it.

I do wonder what it might have been like at barrel proof. Not going to find out of course but perhaps even 101 would have improved it. The old Russell's Reserve 10/101 that someone kindly put on the table was a great SBS opportunity and pretty much buried the Diamond.

Edited by tanstaafl2

I pretty much echo others thoughts in here. I am very glad to have tasted it and very thankful to Bruce for bringing it to the table. I am glad I got a bottle for what it represents and am happy to have just the one bottle.

Best regards, Tony

I do wonder what it might have been like at barrel proof. Not going to find out of course but perhaps even 101 would have improved it. The old Russell's Reserve 10/101 that someone kindly put on the table was a great SBS opportunity and pretty much buried the Diamond.

My thoughts exactly (though I found them to have very different noses -- the Diamond was fruitier to me but the RR10/101 had balance, mouthfeel and finish to spare.)

Screw the Campari beancounters -- this should have been at 101.

My thoughts exactly (though I found them to have very different noses -- the Diamond was fruitier to me but the RR10/101 had balance, mouthfeel and finish to spare.)

Screw the Campari beancounters -- this should have been at 101.

This was my thought when I tasted it at the gazebo. I think it would be a greatly improved pour at 101 proof. Campari wasted some great juice watering it down.

I had this as well last week in KY... The extra water killed it. Campari should have released this one on April 1st.

It's definitely a great bottle Paul! I enjoyed my taste of it at the Sampler for what it's worth, but the hands down Turkey winner of the weekend was the gold label Turkey (Jon I think) put out Saturday night!

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a bottle and had a taste at the KB Affair. I thought it was pretty good after one taste but will do a more thorough tasting soon. I did ask Eddie about 91 vs 101. He said that the older barrel stock they had was from lower levels of the warehouses and that the proof wasn't high enough to make it all 101. Not saying I buy it but that was his answer

I picked up a bottle and had a taste at the KB Affair. I thought it was pretty good after one taste but will do a more thorough tasting soon. I did ask Eddie about 91 vs 101. He said that the older barrel stock they had was from lower levels of the warehouses and that the proof wasn't high enough to make it all 101. Not saying I buy it but that was his answer

This was much the same thing I was told when he was here in town for a store barrel pick of RR SmBSB 110. They must have stored these barrels in a root cellar!

I had this side by side with a Tradition last night. The DA had some nice spice, good oak and a hint of Vanilla. The tradition had more depth and oomph and a lot more vanilla. The DA is kind of like Tradition Jr. I like it, its good, it stands well on its own, but compared to Tradition not quite there.

Probably expected too much of this one. Being an anniversary release and after a lot of talk by the local distributor about Wild Turkey having something very special in the pipeline I was anxiously waiting for something like the next Tribute. You know, a take no prisoners, this is the very best Bourbon we can make, bottle showing the very very best of currently available Wild Turkey whiskey. Well IMHO this one isn't close to anything like that. To me it came across as a very light, mild, forgettable undistinguished pour with barely a whisper of a finish. On par with, or perhaps just a little more complex than the standard shelf version of Russel's Reserve but at a much dearer price. From a marketing perspective sort of a WT version of Basil Hayden.

I had budgeted some extra dosh to pick up a few bottles from the gift shop but gave them a pass. This might be an anniversary release but it certainly isn't a Tribute.

From a marketing perspective sort of a WT version of Basil Hayden.

Very good comparison.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.