Wild Turkey Diamond Anniversary

sob0728
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Wild Turkey at less than 101 proof is an abomination to me. It's just wrong.

Agree 1000%, just not right.

FWIW, I tried this at WF San Francisco and really liked it. It's smooth and mellow with a long soft finish. The price does give me pause, but it's going on the Christmas list (i.e. I don't feel bad if someone else pays for it and it's better than an Amazon gift card!). I also saw Eddie Russell give himself a generous pour (some might say big ass pour) at the end of the VIP hour. That tells me he really likes it :).

WT doesn't get the press of some of the other distilleries. But, hey, that's more WT for us.

Opened this last night. If first impression is correct, most folks might prefer this one little weaker than barrel proof. It seemed a little hot/bitter from phenolics aka tannins from time in wood. I liked it a lot, but see how many would not.

Edited by B.B. Babington

Not as hot as recent disappointing ER10 I'm trying to like. Compared diamond to 2014 Kentucky Spirit and different animals. Compared to 2008 Kentucky Spirit fermented and distilled about same time as diamond and it's almost same. Detect little difference from extra age. Based on tonight's sampling, Diamond should have been priced at $80.

Seems they couldn't give this away in VA. Sitting on every ABC shelf and in multiple restaurants. I haven't talked to anybody in either setting with a favorable review.

Spent some time with this one over the past week (thanks to the generosity of a fellow GBS/SB'er!), and it isn't a bad bourbon . . . although I'm glad I didn't shell out the dough for one. I would have loved to experienced this at 101 proof or higher. It wasn't nearly as woody as I anticipated for the age, and was unmistakably Wild Turkey. Just underproofed IMHO (and overpriced!!)

Seems they couldn't give this away in VA. Sitting on every ABC shelf and in multiple restaurants. I haven't talked to anybody in either setting with a favorable review.

• 1 month later...

Every year for Christmas I buy myself a more expensive bottle to have and share during the holidays and I picked this one this year. I was close to getting PHC a few weeks back, but I'm not the biggest wheat fan. I am however a massive Turkey fan so I went ahead and bought it; I'm just happy to have a little extra aged Turkey in the house. It is good bourbon though, just not worth the price on that alone, but really is any whiskey? Take a blind sip of even the greatest of bourbons and only the most dedicated enthusiasts would pay $125 for a bottle with no label, name, or age statement. So sure I got "ripped-off", but I'm a fan of turkey products, taking away the price tag this is good bourbon.

I saw WTDA on shelves in MD for prices ranging from $105 to $170 in the past week. The $105 price seems closer to what people are willing to bear for this, but still high for me.

Yea, I passed on it at $110 yesterday. I mentioned in that "What bourbon did you pass up today" thread that I thought about offering the owner her cost basis if she wanted to just clear her shelf of it since they don't seem to be moving. If they are still there in a few weeks I may do just that.

Every year for Christmas I buy myself a more expensive bottle to have and share during the holidays and I picked this one this year. I was close to getting PHC a few weeks back, but I'm not the biggest wheat fan. I am however a massive Turkey fan so I went ahead and bought it; I'm just happy to have a little extra aged Turkey in the house. It is good bourbon though, just not worth the price on that alone, but really is any whiskey? Take a blind sip of even the greatest of bourbons and only the most dedicated enthusiasts would pay $125 for a bottle with no label, name, or age statement. So sure I got "ripped-off", but I'm a fan of turkey products, taking away the price tag this is good bourbon.

If you like it then you didn't get ripped off. Enjoy every drop!

• 1 month later...

I saw a bottle of this at a store in Northeast Ohio the other day. If anyone in the area is looking for one let me know. A bit pricey for me to bite on right now.

A fellow bourbon gave me a bottle for the holidays. It's been many years since I tasted any WT. I thought is was well balanced with sweet notes mid palate and not too much heat. As stated ??? I think a full 16 year may of been too much oak. I will purchase one for myself after I finish with this one.

I finally got a chance at this one. My favorite local snagged a bunch on close out and the price dropped way down. On tasting it reminded me greatly of Rhetoric orphan barrel. I pulled a SBS and found they were indeed very similar, the Rhetoric displayed a tired wood note, and the Turkey was all around fresher on the similar flavor profile.

Pretty good Turkey. I think I might not have been too happy to pay retail of $130. At the price paid of near half that I am well satisfied. The presentation box is very cool and I have taken it apart to make a hanging art project to go in my buddy's store.

I finally got a chance at this one. My favorite local snagged a bunch on close out and the price dropped way down. On tasting it reminded me greatly of Rhetoric orphan barrel. I pulled a SBS and found they were indeed very similar, the Rhetoric displayed a tired wood note, and the Turkey was all around fresher on the similar flavor profile.

Pretty good Turkey. I think I might not have been too happy to pay retail of $130. At the price paid of near half that I am well satisfied. The presentation box is very cool and I have taken it apart to make a hanging art project to go in my buddy's store.

At half the MSRP I think a lot of us would have been happy with it!

My retail price was and is $159 and there is still a doulbe row on the shelf at both stores I frequent. These folks never mark anything down or have a "sale". They'll let it sit there until someone buys it because someone always does.

My retail price was and is $159 and there is still a doulbe row on the shelf at both stores I frequent. These folks never mark anything down or have a "sale". They'll let it sit there until someone buys it because someone always does.

I'm thinking it hasn't been moving much around here and the distributor cut a deal on quantity. My Local currently has them on the shelf priced at $100. I am happy to have gotten a bro' deal with a bit more discount.

It's a pretty tasty and clean pour, is my take on it.

My lady thought it a little hot for 91 proof, but to be fair, we had just eaten spicy food an hour previous. I didn't notice anything hot or out of place, just a very good WT. I think I might have liked it a bit more at 101 or so...

I think I might have liked it a bit more at 101 or so...
I seem to recall many of us felt that way at the gazebo last spring. (Thanks again, Bruce!)

Well it does come in a fancy box so it has that going for it.

And it's a wooden box, so the longer it sits on the shelf, the more time in the wood! :slappin:

Just about every local store near me has 2-5 bottles sitting on the shelf at $124.99. Seemingly not a big mover. And while I'd like to taste it, not at those prices.

Just about every local store near me has 2-5 bottles sitting on the shelf at $124.99. Seemingly not a big mover. And while I'd like to taste it, not at those prices.

I still see it regularly around these parts as well, and also have declined the option to purchase so far. I mentioned in some thread awhile ago that I've considered offering owners their cost basis in it if they wanted to just clear their shelves of it. Maybe one of these days.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.