Wild Turkey Diamond Anniversary

sob0728
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Found some Diamond Anniversary near me for $122. Might go back in a week or so, if they still have some left I may pick one up.

So it just showed up at my local shop. The wooden box is really nice looking, as is the bottle. Normally the price would be a big "nope" but here's the thing:

1.) I really enjoy all the WT offerings that I have (WT101, WTRB, WT81 Rye, RR Rye, RR10, and Forgiven).

2.) I recently upgraded my DSL speed and was surprised when AT&T sent me a $100 VISA prepaid card, just like new customers get. I figure, "hey, free money, right?" so I plan on using that (since it expires in Nov. anyways) to bring the price to a very reasonable $26.99 + tax.

I will post my impressions when I get a chance.

Jason

So I'm going to have to wait a week on this one. Turns out my shop was sent 5 cases (perhaps my area's entire allocation) on accident without being billed for them. So the shop had to return them to the distributor but hopes to get their actual shipment next week. Patience...

Normally the price would be a big "nope" but here's the thing:

1.) I really enjoy all the WT offerings that I have (WT101, WTRB, WT81 Rye, RR Rye, RR10, and Forgiven).

2.) I recently upgraded my DSL speed and was surprised when AT&T sent me a $100 VISA prepaid card, just like new customers get. I figure, "hey, free money, right?" so I plan on using that (since it expires in Nov. anyways) to bring the price to a very reasonable $26.99 + tax.

Jason

I don't know, Jason. There are lots of bigger Turkey fans than you and I on here, and VERY few of them have nice things to say about this one.

It sounds like your mind is made up, but there will also be many (too many, in fact!) opportunities to drop $125 on something that has a greater concensus of being a home run.

Come down from the ledge! There are so many other great bourbons to live for!

Edited by The Black Tot

Screw the "consensus" Stargazer. Screw anybody else's review (good or bad). You seem to really like the Turkey profile, have a freebie to cover most of the cost of one, so I'm guessing you shouldn't be disappointed.

I'm with "me" on this one. You can't have an opinion of how something tastes without having tried it. The Internet is full of opinions that are really just the opinions of others.

Fair enough and all true, but you also can't buy every overpriced $100+ limited edition that comes out, just to know for sure if you're getting screwed or not.

There will be five or six more limited special editions released before your gift card expires (if indeed it does at all), and there's no rush.

Sometimes it's beneficial to find someone who usually agrees with you and take their word/review for it.

Diamond isn't just lightly panned - it's way South of the normal distribution you'd expect to see in reviews. Most people praising it are doing so on the basis of its pretty bottle and excitement about its collectibility/limited status.

You're in Illinois - can't you find a whiskey bar where you can try a pour of it before buying?

Edited by The Black Tot

Fair enough and all true, but you also can't buy every overpriced $100+ limited edition that comes out, just to know for sure if you're getting screwed or not.

There will be five or six more limited special editions released before your gift card expires (if indeed it does at all), and there's no rush.

Sometimes it's beneficial to find someone who usually agrees with you and take their word/review for it.

Diamond isn't just lightly panned - it's way South of the normal distribution you'd expect to see in reviews. Most people praising it are doing so on the basis of its pretty bottle and excitement about its collectibility/limited status.

You're in Illinois - can't you find a whiskey bar where you can try a pour of it before buying?

Tot, did you hear what he said? He said he likes several Turkeys. So, whatever anyone else has to say means nothing. Going with an extra aged, specially selected iteration of a profile that someone like sounds like a solid choice to me.

It's cool, Joe. A gang of Turkey fans, who also love several turkeys, shot out a bunch of Turkey limiteds recently, and almost universally put the Diamond last.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?22815-Wild-Turkey-Limited-releases-SBS&p=437839#post437839

There's no harm in discussing the issue. Jason will make his own decision. We're all here to talk about bourbon and have fun.

Still, means absolutely nothing. Even if the participants of that tasting you referenced were Jesus, Muhammad, Buddah, and Cowdery :D it should mean nothing to Stargazer. He likes Turkey and wants to try another iteration, so I can't find any reason for him not to go for it. I'm sure he has done his homework here, but his own preferences should be what he ultimately acts upon. Because, that is all that really counts. SCREW the idea of consensus.

Jesus, Muhammad, Buddah, and Cowdery :D

...not necessarily in that order :) (although I've got some water out here I'd like turned to Pappy 23, if some generous god is looking for a new follower)

I think it is also a factor how much $125 of bourbon expenditure means to you. It may be a gift card, but it might just as well be a $100 bill.

Mostly I brought it up because Jason stated that normally he would refrain from a 100+ roll of the dice.

It sounds like he may have more to lose, opportunistically, than someone who drops 100+ on limiteds regularly. That raises the stakes a little on the pressure for Diamond to deliver for him. But hey, you don't get diamonds where there ain't no pressure...

You're absolutely right, Diamond could taste like angels in a glass to Jason.

I don't think I can quite agree (which is fine) that concensus means nothing at all. Especially if you have agreed with the taste preferences of others in the past. There is also something to be said for the expected normal distribution of reviews. Especially with the limiteds. Most people try really hard to like them, many influenced by the justification of their expenditure.

Either way, Jason certainly has both sides of the debate now to work with, which means our job is done :cool:

I abhor the idea of "consensus" opinions here regarding taste, because it too often evolves into consensus building. And, ultimately results in a right/wrong proposition. The only "right" is if you like it. The only "wrong" is if you don't".

Again, I have to agree with "myself" on this one. You just can't take anyone's word for it when it comes to taste. The whole point of this hobby is to taste (it for yourself.)

Now wait just a second here.....isn't all this Joe agreeing with "himself" a form of consensus building? :)

Seriously, I agree with the Joes in principle. You gotta try stuff for yourself. Reviews are just opinions and though some are more educated than others, if you solely based purchasing decisions on reviews, you'd miss out on things you'd end up liking.

Regarding the OP, if that price is a stretch, and if the possibility of it disappointing you means you'd be severely bummed because your budget is blown and you have to let a few other limiteds go, than by all means I recommend trying it at a bar first. If however your budget can handle it no problem, there's no harm in going for it because even if it doesn't blow you away in the way you'd like a $125 to do, it's still going to be a good whiskey that is unlike anything else you have.

Now wait just a second here.....isn't all this Joe agreeing with "himself" a form of consensus building? :)

I love this! :lol: Well played!

Even if the participants of that tasting you referenced were Jesus, Muhammad, Buddah, and Cowdery

Was the omission of Moses deliberate?

Go for it and don't let people sway you. If you like it, you got it at a great bargain, and if you don't, your not out a ton.

We have our opinions, and love to share them, but don't let opinions get to you.

Besides, even if the taste isn't to your liking, it's a killer looking bottle/package to have on the bar!!

B

Was the omission of Moses deliberate?

I thought that everyone knew that Moses has a questionable palate. :slappin:

Even if the participants of that tasting you referenced were Jesus, Muhammad, Buddah, and Cowdery :D

With that spelling this must be the Buddha from South Georgia, down around "All-benny" I believe...

• 4 weeks later...

It just showed up here in my area, around $130, I think. This is easily the most I've ever spent on a bottle of whiskey, ever. I'm looking forward to seeing if it beats the 101 in a blind taste test.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.