OGD 114 Being Discontinued? (Rumor)

Jackinbox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've seen a couple of references to this on a couple of Facebook pages and I really hope there is no basis for this rumor. Since it's not age-stated, I'd be surprised if it were indeed true. Still, I'm worried as this is one of my regular pours.

I'm taking the rest of the day off so I can rent a uhaul and pick up every bottle in the greater Houston area.

The FB page I saw it on is filled with people who have an interest in selling their 'rare' bourbons for a significant premium. Just sayin'.

The FB page I saw it on is filled with people who have an interest in selling their 'rare' bourbons for a significant premium. Just sayin'.
There's also a reference on the ODG 114 FB page where someone says they heard that as well. Again, I'm skeptical, but usually this board is the place where these rumors are either confirmed or debunked. Sadly, some of these rumors have turned out to be true over the past year or so.

Y'all just let me know when BIB is put on the chopping block so I know when to run out and get a case.

I would not cite Facebook as an authority.
Nor would I, but sometimes when there's smoke, there's fire.

Well it wouldn't surprise me, other than proof the 114 is not dissimilar to the BIB which is a big seller. Let's face facts, the 114 is an underpriced anachronism in the Global World of 80 proof spirits and the brand is owned by Beam Global.

Frankly, I'm not aware of any difference, other than proof, between 114 and Basil which already carries a higher price tag even at the lower strength. Basil is being heavily advertized.

In the world of bourbon shortages and craft whiskeys that sell for $50 a bottle, OGD 114 is significantly underpriced. Personally, I would rather see the price increase to closer to $30 a bottle than to see it discontinued.

Basil is "technically" supposed to be older than OGD 114/BiB, but those 3 use the same mash bill, unlike the rest of the Beam family (higher rye, different yeast). That's why OGD doesn't taste like Beam (thank GOD!).

They already dropped the base OGD expression from 86pr to 80pr in the last year (with little to no fanfare), but given that OGD114 is truly in the "staple" category for many a long-term drinker, I'd be stunned if they dropped the brand altogether, but then again, it's Beam, right?

This is the first I've heard of this rumor - and I'm hopeful it's just that, a nasty, terrible, gut-wrenching rumor with not a shred of truth behind it.

I'll be following along to see if my world is going to be left in ruins!

Well it wouldn't surprise me, other than proof the 114 is not dissimilar to the BIB which is a big seller. Let's face facts, the 114 is an underpriced anachronism in the Global World of 80 proof spirits and the brand is owned by Beam Global.

Frankly, I'm not aware of any difference, other than proof, between 114 and Basil which already carries a higher price tag even at the lower strength. Basil is being heavily advertized.

Eight years is about the right spot for the Grand Dad formula, it was when National made it and Beam initially released Hayden with an 8 year age statement as well.

I live in the SF Bay Area and have never seen this bottling in any local store...I wonder if it is even distributed this far west...I'd sure love to try it...:frown:

I'll probably grab a bottle of this and the 100 after work. You know...just in case :cool:.

I live in the SF Bay Area and have never seen this bottling in any local store...I wonder if it is even distributed this far west...I'd sure love to try it...:frown:

It's definitely in San Diego, and a quick look at BevMo's site shows that it's currently in stock at the SF Bayshore, Geary, and Van Ness locations.

I'll probably grab a bottle of this and the 100 after work. You know...just in case :cool:.

Grab two, I am sure you will be able to put them to good use!

A must try for any bourbon enthusiast! I would suggest sooner rather than later just in case. If this rumor is not true, the writing is on the wall.

Wouldn't surprise me since the reason for the proof cut of the 86 was supposedly to have more of the BIB since bartenders like it. I can get the 114 easily but can never find the BIB..

a quick look at BevMo's site shows that it's currently in stock at the SF Bayshore, Geary, and Van Ness locations.

Even better, I found a bottle at the BevMo in my town...gonna pick it up and give it a try...:thankyousign:

It does appear part of an overall strategy, to make Grand Dad 80-100 proof and divert 114 to the more profitable Hayden line.

It does appear part of an overall strategy, to make Grand Dad 80-100 proof and divert 114 to the more profitable Hayden line.

Kinda like what BT is doing with Weller and Pappy?:mad:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.