Your favorite bourbon with ice

weller_tex
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What's your favorite bourbon with ice? I just discovered this weekend that mine is 4RSmB (not the LE). I could not believe how well it stood up to the melting ice (5 cubes). For a bourbon that isn't super high proof, it tasted remarkably good even after the ice melted.

I hardly ever drink bourbon any way other than neat, but over ice it needs to be high rye and high proof. You need spice to stand up to ice.

OGD114 works well.

bourbon with ice?

sacrilege!

I know :) Not saying I do it all the time..but it's a nice change.

Knob Single Barrel. 2 or 3 cubes and liquid bliss.

I also really like Handy with ice but I haven't bought it in a while.

I must have tried ice with bourbon a dozen times... just can't stand it. It's not a snob thing, I actually think it "looks" incredibly tasty when I see Bourbon on the rocks in commercials and TV, etc.

But whenever I try, I just get watered down flavors.. and enhanced ethanol. Sometimes I'll get a slightly different flavor profile for a few sips, but it never lasts and has never been worth it... to my own tastes, obviously.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I must have tried ice with bourbon a dozen times... just can't stand it. It's not a snob thing, I actually think it "looks" incredibly tasty when I see Bourbon on the rocks in commercials and TV, etc.

But whenever I try, I just get watered down flavors.. and enhanced ethanol. Sometimes I'll get a slightly different flavor profile for a few sips, but it never lasts and has never been worth it... to my own tastes, obviously.

The only other ones I liked with ice are OGD 114 and Stagg (a few cubes). I was really shocked at the 4R..

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

The only other ones I liked with ice are OGD 114 and Stagg (a few cubes). I was really shocked at the 4R..

I should add that I drink a lot of my bourbons with ice... so I may be biased. But I also like a lot of them neat. But I think a few of them really improve with ice. KC1B is one.

weller_tex, I don't buy Bulleit often but I think it's great with ice, so it stands to reason that 4RSmB works. It's funny though, 4RSmB is one that I almost always drink neat.

I should add that I drink a lot of my bourbons with ice... so I may be biased. But I also like a lot of them neat. But I think a few of them really improve with ice. KC1B is one.

weller_tex, I don't buy Bulleit often but I think it's great with ice, so it stands to reason that 4RSmB works. It's funny though, 4RSmB is one that I almost always drink neat.

I don't buy Bulleit Bourbon often, but buy the Rye quite a bit. Bulleit Bourbon is actually a dollar more than 4RSmB here so I just get it instead since I like the spiciness of 4R better..seems the Bulleit has more of the 4R juice floral notes to me.

I don't buy Bulleit Bourbon often, but buy the Rye quite a bit. Bulleit Bourbon is actually a dollar more than 4RSmB here so I just get it instead since I like the spiciness of 4R better..seems the Bulleit has more of the 4R juice floral notes to me.

I much prefer 4R as well but I can often get Bulleit for around $20 on sale.

Dangerous mixing ice and bourbon, for me it leads to gulping as I battle the melt and the lowering of sensation.

BUT on a really hot day a couple ounces of WTRB with a single cube can work.

WTRB with crushed ice is great for me

Oh, jebus! "No, no more soup for you!"

...but I don't put ice in anything. Water yes, ice no. I don't even like my cokes cold.

PHC #1 (I don't remember the proof, but it was the 1st bottling) is wonderful over crushed ice.

I used to drink bourbon on ice regularly but I found myself drinking way too much way too fast. So now I only drink it neat. It acts as my bourbon restrictor plate if you will.

All of my pours are on ice. 4 oz bourbon 1 or 2 cubes depending on proof. I do agree that high rye aren't altered as much as the ice melts.

WT 101 and Garrison Brothers; I think both are better on ice. Most bourbons - ice is also fine, but they don't improve.

I like just enough crushed ice to thinly cover the bottom of my glass and then add 3 or 4 fingers of anything over 110 proof. Lower proof brands and/or smaller pours are usually neat.

My favorites with ice are high proof rye's, KCSB and OGD 114.

I follow the tendency towards higher proof bourbons with ice. Every now and then I will have Handy or ECBP with one of those big ice balls.

Not a bourbon, but Mellow Corn is a new favorite of mine with ice as well.

About the only time I drink bourbon with ice is on a really hot day. As someone already mentioned, I tend to start gulping when it gets diluted... and that leads to no good!:lol: I do like WT101 out of the freezer quite a bit, though. 99% of the time I prefer any whisk(e)y neat, at room temp.

Normally, at home, I drink bourbon neat. However, if I order a drink at a restaurant, I don't fight the battle and just order it on the rocks. I think WT101, Bookers and Woodford hold up well. If I decide to add a cube at home, I have found that ECBP, EC12, WT101 and OGD114 also hold up well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.