Your favorite bourbon with ice

weller_tex
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Is drinking bourbon neat a relatively new phenomenon that came about as whiskey went from something that people just drank to something that people "experienced"? I always find it interesting to see how the dudes drank their whiskey back in the day where manly men drank in their offices and would encourage their secretaries' good work with a nice pat on the rump. From what I've read (and if Mad Men is to be believed), ice with whiskey was almost automatic. I know Sinatra's drink of choice was JD on the rocks and in Mad Men they always asked the secretaries to bring them ice.

I admit that on lower/mid shelf pours I almost always put them on ice assuming their proof is 100 or above. Sometimes I feel like I'm not manly enough when I do it. But if the guys who beat the Germans and Japanese in an away game drank their whiskey on the rocks who am I to deviate?

It was, in my Father's time virtually all whisky drinks were served over ice with mixers (of course that didn't include martinis), most commonly in highballs. The only high proof spirits consumed straight were after dinner drinks such as brandy, cognac or liqueurs.

Yep, that's why I said I was messing with you about the ice Bing. Personally, I don't do it often, if ever, but I'm just weird like that. I laugh to my self a little when I see others demanding that you not add ice or water. I'm with Squire when he says drink it how you like it.

Also like bourbon with a local honey. But my wife objects.

:cool:

It's a very small can and I have to make it last.

I hope you have some sample bottles to save some in so you can have a taste a few years down the road. :slappin:

Is drinking bourbon neat a relatively new phenomenon that came about as whiskey went from something that people just drank to something that people "experienced"? I always find it interesting to see how the dudes drank their whiskey back in the day where manly men drank in their offices and would encourage their secretaries' good work with a nice pat on the rump.

The manly men I knew drank their whiskey by the shot and chased it with a cold brew. Tossing it back that way didn't provide an occasion for savoring subtle flavors.

In my parents' and grandparents' houses, whiskey was always, always, served on the rocks. Mid-shelf bourbon or blended scotch. At his age now, my father doesn't drink spirits anymore, he's on a one-wine-or-beer-per-week maximum allocation from his doctor, and likewise all their friends and my older relatives are under those kinds of restrictions.

I remember distinctly when my uncle from Connecticut brought a bottle of single malt scotch over for my grandfather to try, probably around 1976 or 1977. He had to specifically say "try this one without ice", and I believe that it took a few tries before my grandfather got the hang of it (and he still preferred his whiskey on rocks).

For my own part, I like OGD114, EC12, Weller 12 with a couple of ice cubes -- strongly flavored mid-shelfers. My favorite this past summer was the WTRRSB, somehow it just really clicked with the ice.

Edited by Kalessin

In this weather the last thing we want is ice inside the house, if anything we want the Bourbon warm.

Great idea Squire. Think I'll a bit of OGDBIB in some hot cider tonight and just look at the ice outside.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.