Your favorite bourbon with ice

weller_tex
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Rarely add ice now a days, used to be a lot.

Currently, ice with ECBP is a killer. It becomes a thick chewy goodness.

I have learned and agreed that ice mute the nose a little though.

Generally not too much on the rocks for me other than during the warm summer days while grilling,but if I had to pick I would say HH 6yr BIB and OGD BIB.

Don't often drink on the rocks, but OGD 114 is what I'll drink when I do - excusing a bit of thread drift, but when I want it cold in the summer, the HH BiBs out of the 'fridge or freezer is the way to go.

Hot as shit tonight, decided I needed a refreshing bourbon experience, so I threw a huge cube in a generous pour of EWSB 2001, wow, despite the low proof this is holding up exceptionally well, the nose may even be better, i think i might prefer this on ice

Been battling congestion and a sore throat for the past few days so I haven't been reaching for anything too good since my taste buds are all wonky, so Evan Williams Black over some crushed ice has been the nightly pour--cool, slightly antiseptic, alcohol to kill the germs....it's definitely better than a salt water gargle for a sore throat!

I think all the HH bonded whiskeys work well over ice.

The other time I like bourbon over ice is when I'm cooking in the kitchen. The smell of simmering garlic, flour on hands and a mind in several places at once is not conducive to discovering every nuance of a whiskey, so I'll either make a Manhattan on the rocks, or pour something like RittBIB or WT101 over the rocks.

To answer the thread's question, Four Roses Single Barrel.

Hands down, no debate, 4R1B.

That's one I would never have with ice - just love it neat. Just goes to show that everyone's taste is different!

Is drinking bourbon neat a relatively new phenomenon that came about as whiskey went from something that people just drank to something that people "experienced"? I always find it interesting to see how the dudes drank their whiskey back in the day where manly men drank in their offices and would encourage their secretaries' good work with a nice pat on the rump. From what I've read (and if Mad Men is to be believed), ice with whiskey was almost automatic. I know Sinatra's drink of choice was JD on the rocks and in Mad Men they always asked the secretaries to bring them ice.

I admit that on lower/mid shelf pours I almost always put them on ice assuming their proof is 100 or above. Sometimes I feel like I'm not manly enough when I do it. But if the guys who beat the Germans and Japanese in an away game drank their whiskey on the rocks who am I to deviate?

Oh yeah, I see a Mad Men marathon taking place in the near future now.

The way I see it is if I have to pay $50+ for a bottle of bourbon, it better taste damn good neat and no ice should be needed. If so, it is a waste of money in my eyes. I usually spend more time with those pours as well.

If I am just hanging out with the bros or on the patio grilling, throw a rock into some W12, EC, or VOB BIB and the bourbon becomes my secondary focus but gets the job done!

I typically take my pours neat if tasting and/or having one or two while relaxing. Maybe a splash of water for higher proof pours. I will drink any bourbon/rye on ice during the summer for refreshment, or if my intent is to become inebriated.

One pour I no longer will put on ice though is VOB 6yr RIP...I mean BIB. When I put that on ice it tastes like I am actually drinking a banana. I do not want to drink a banana.

Is drinking bourbon neat a relatively new phenomenon that came about as whiskey went from something that people just drank to something that people "experienced"? I always find it interesting to see how the dudes drank their whiskey back in the day . . . . From what I've read (and if Mad Men is to be believed), ice with whiskey was almost automatic.

It was, in my Father's time virtually all whisky drinks were served over ice with mixers (of course that didn't include martinis), most commonly in highballs. The only high proof spirits consumed straight were after dinner drinks such as brandy, cognac or liqueurs.

Rarely use ice, some water yes, but on those long days after I do a show and have been standing around looking and talking to people all day, I'll come home and pour me a large ec12 over ice . mmmmmmm.... sometimes 2!

Ice was almost invariable in the old ads too, perhaps not for Manhattans in stemmed glasses but these were shaken first with ice before pouring. Ice was typically shown for highballs - I've not understood the term to be obsolete or anywhere near that - and occasionally you would see a shot glass with bourbon or rye, alongside. This showed that some straight whiskey was consumed neat (I am talking mid-1900's) but I'd guess very little except perhaps in bars where boilermakers were still drunk. In other words probably a minority of drinkers used whiskey neat and maybe today more do than formerly, perhaps under the influence (sorry) of malt whisky practice.

Gary

I like most of my bourbons slightly chilled and diluted to 65-70 proof (a little higher if its over 100proof to start with). So after I add a measured amount of water I usually pour it over a cube in a Glencairn, swirl it around a few times and let it set for a couple minutes, then take out the ice cube. This seems to give it the right amount of chill and dilution. I never leave the cube in there.

Been battling congestion and a sore throat for the past few days so I haven't been reaching for anything too good since my taste buds are all wonky, so Evan Williams Black over some crushed ice has been the nightly pour--cool, slightly antiseptic, alcohol to kill the germs....it's definitely better than a salt water gargle for a sore throat!

I find that I enjoy all types with ice fine but I'll have to be in the mood for it. The one that stood out for me is WTRB with ice.

I also find that bourbon with some local honey works really well with ice.

I also find that bourbon with some local honey works really well with ice.

Also like bourbon with a local honey. But my wife objects.

Also like bourbon with a local honey. But my wife objects.

Ive done honey a few times. If you like the 'caramel' you get in some bourbons, try adding a few drops of dark real maple syrup, not the fake corn-syrup stuff.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.