Your favorite bourbon with ice

weller_tex
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I pretty much always drink bourbon over ice. I know that's blasphemy around here. But to be honest it's how I started drinking bourbon and to this day is still how I enjoy it the most.

I rarely use ice any more, just a bit of water if I want some of the heat out. That being said, on Christmas vacation I had a double of Knob Creek, added two small cubes of ice, and it was delicious. KCSB does well with ice, too.

I try everything I open neat in a Glencairn. But I have a square rocks glass that perfectly holds a 2" cube upon which I like to pour the occasional barrel proofer. I especially like some of the Willett FE's this way. But agree with several on here that its usually a rye or high rye bourbon that holds up best. Generally don't drink wheated bourbons this way even WLW.

Whenever my wife and I have our 7- and 4-year old kids with us at a hotel, and we hit the pool or hot tub w/ 'em, I try to always have a HH BiB (any variant) and any BT white dog (ditto) with me to pour over ice into plastic hotel cups. The white dog, in particular, not only stands up great to ice but also easily passes as water to interested observers when necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, jebus! "No, no more soup for you!"

...but I don't put ice in anything. Water yes, ice no. I don't even like my cokes cold.

Not the old ones, man. The easily obtained midshelfers, so long as they are higher proof, are great on the rocks for me.

Knob Creek, WT101, Ritt, HH6, OGD BIB, VOB BIB. Pretty much anything under $30 and around 100 proof is nice with ice.

When I'm home and want to manage my intake, I drink over ice. When I am out and want to pace myself, I drink over ice. FRSB works very well over ice, especially a lot of it (the FRSB that is...). WTRB, OGD 114 and plenty of others work well also.

Ive gotten to where I dont put ice in anything anymore. sodas I'll drink cold, but no ice. Tea can be warm, hot, ambient, or cold, but no ice.

I started drinking bourbon neat, so that's just what I got used to. I really dont want it cold, or diluted with ice. I imagine how you started with bourbon will lend a preference to how you prefer it today.

Oh, jebus! "No, no more soup for you!"

...but I don't put ice in anything. Water yes, ice no. I don't even like my cokes cold.

Ok my fellow Bayou City member..grilling in July on a typical 94 degree day with a heat index of 110 and still no ice?? I definitely have some ice in the summer when grilling... :)

This was more what I was saying. Most spring, summer or fall days when I'm having fun I put some turkey on ice and love life. At home at the end of the night, I opt for neat 90% of the time, especially if I'm having only one

Ok my fellow Bayou City member..grilling in July on a typical 94 degree day with a heat index of 110 and still no ice?? I definitely have some ice in the summer when grilling... :)

Where the H do you live that it's only 94 in July? Try 100+, lol. Seriously though, I really don't like it with ice. It's the way I started drinking it I guess. If it's BBQ time then I'm usually drinking some beer. St. Arnold works nicely...

This was more what I was saying. Most spring, summer or fall days when I'm having fun I put some turkey on ice and love life. At home at the end of the night, I opt for neat 90% of the time, especially if I'm having only one

Just messing with you. The reason I said that is because the older WTRB drink very well right out of the bottle (to me.) Then again, I like OWA straight out of the bottle.

Just messing with you. The reason I said that is because the older WTRB drink very well right out of the bottle (to me.) Then again, I like OWA straight out of the bottle.

I have a picture on my phone from 2012 when I got my first bottle of Pappy 20 where I was puffing out my chest about my find with 2 huge ice cubes in it. Jesus. I've gotten to the point where I drink all the stuff I can't walk into Liquor Barn and buy right now neat. But boy oh boy do I love a slushy WT or RB on a hot day.

As for OWA, I have come to the point where I reach for it over the VW line on my shelf and not because I want to conserve VW. It's age (7 yr version of course) and proof combo tickles me just right.

I've always thought Knob Creek SB at 120 proof (bought around here at $19.99) was a great pour with a cube or two.

When I'm home and want to manage my intake, I drink over ice. When I am out and want to pace myself, I drink over ice. FRSB works very well over ice, especially a lot of it (the FRSB that is...). WTRB, OGD 114 and plenty of others work well also.

I like this list too...

Whenever my wife and I have our 7- and 4-year old kids with us at a hotel, and we hit the pool or hot tub w/ 'em, I try to always have a HH BiB (any variant) and any BT white dog (ditto) with me to pour over ice into plastic hotel cups. The white dog, in particular, not only stands up great to ice but also easily passes as water to interested observers when necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like your work and honesty. I love sneaking a hipflask of booze to the football, sneaky drinking is always fun, dont need to get plastered, but the odd sneaky sip is liberating.

I'll water down most stuff over 100 proof, but with water, not ice. I find myself drinking it too fast with ice so I can get the flavor before it's too diluted. Depending on the size of the pour, I'll go with one cube on occasion. Or maybe one of those ice balls if it's something lower shelf and lower proof.

I think Grand Dad holds up right well.

In the summer, OGD right from the freezer makes a great slushy.

In the summer, OGD right from the freezer makes a great slushy.

Just buy your own barrel and hook it up to the icemaker on your fridge. Then your drink will get more flavorful as the ice melts! :lol:

My two favorites over ice are ETL and JB White. I actually prefer both of these on the rocks versus neat and both of these stand up to the chill and dilution remarkably well.

I'm not a huge fan of wheaters in general, but I think the SB blend is much better over crushed ice than neat.

All of them that I like. I just enjoy them the way I want them at the time, if that's neat, over ice, in my coffee, in a cocktail or just with some diet coke.

All of them that I like. I just enjoy them the way I want them at the time, if that's neat, over ice, in my coffee, in a cocktail or just with some diet coke.

This is the correct answer. The best way to drink anything is...just how you enjoy it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.