Widow Jane's high end offerings.

P&MLiquorsEric
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I swear this is getting so out of control that I'm going to start peeing in my used bottles after I drink some of my high end bottles. I'm going to label it Human distilled from Pappy, Antique Collection, and HHSS offerings, cut to proof using fresh water from the Chattahoochee River (that I got from my faucet).

I'll cut everyone a deal $125/375.

I'm going to unleash Reign Bourbon on the market and will bring it to proof with the tears of Shawn Kemp's illegitimate children.

The missing subtext is obvious to me.

They could sell every bottle in NY at those prices as most people will try anything once, but they don't want to kill any chance at return business in their own backyard when buyers figure things out.

I love their attitude too "Hey Kentucky, we're doing you a favor by giving you access to our super awesome whiskey with New York on the label. You're welcome."

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Kind of like the old Pace Salsa commercials with the cowboys sitting around the campfire reading the label of the salsa they are eating and, with puzzled looks, saying "New York City?"

Kind of like the old Pace Salsa commercials with the cowboys sitting around the campfire reading the label of the salsa they are eating and, with puzzled looks, saying "New York City?"

Young, foreign and expensive might raise some ears around here if a vagina was attached to it.

I've got a bottle of their 7 year bourbon, and while I like it, it doesn't make me salivate with anticipation over the prospect of a "premium" release from them.

Maybe people in New York are just more likely to buy something if it's overpriced?

I am not a marketing expert but, if I were a distiller or brewer, I would want to develop a local (regional) following first and then expand, as demand increases. A good product will sell and your best advertisement is word of mouth. Trying to expand your market by entering your product into one of the most discerning whiskey markets (and around a major industry event) seems like a good way to flame out before the fire is even lit.

Perhaps, but there are more than a few bloggers covering said event that will gladly say something good about anything.

The micro distillery new road map is to make such limited quantities of something, hype it to death, submit a good portion of what left to awards shows and reviewers, brag about how you can sell out instantly, and then price it at outrageous level. I see Widow Jane is has programmed their GPS to the road map.

I don't think Widow Jane is particularly well-known or popular up here, but it does have at least some "presence". I work in NYC, and I was at a benefit a year or so ago, and they had one Rye and one Bourbon, both Widow Jane. It was serviceable, but I didn't run out and buy some after drinking it that night.

As far as being able to sell whatever they have here in NYC, I'd be skeptical at those prices, but stranger things have happened. There is definitely a lot of funny money here, and with Astor Wines being located downtown with a lot of hipsters and finance guys, it's possible. Astor sells out of the premium stuff very quickly when it comes in. Heck, they sold out of their single barrel OWA at $40 a bottle quickly (I kept waiting for the price to go down thinking no-one would buy a $20 bourbon at $40--then it was gone).

Well, anyway, I don't see this making much headway in Kentucky.

Hidden
I don't think Widow Jane is particularly well-known or popular up here, but it does have at least some "presence". I work in NYC, and I was at a benefit a year or so ago, and they had one Rye and one Bourbon, both Widow Jane. It was serviceable, but I didn't run out and buy some after drinking it that night.

As far as being able to sell whatever they have here in NYC, I'd be skeptical at those prices, but stranger things have happened. There is definitely a lot of funny money here, and with Astor Wines being located downtown with a lot of hipsters and finance guys, it's possible. Astor sells out of the premium stuff very quickly when it comes in. Heck, they sold out of their single barrel OWA at $40 a bottle quickly (I kept waiting for the price to go down thinking no-one would buy a $20 bourbon at $40--then it was gone).

Well, anyway, I don't see this making much headway in Kentucky.

Had the same thought about the OWA at Astor...........hesitated but grabbed one at $40. Good..... but not $20 extra good. Just got a new OWA..... i should do a comparison before for I kill the astor one.

Young, foreign and expensive might raise some ears around here if a vagina was attached to it.

Hopefully that has an age statement on it, you can get in trouble with that stuff if it's not aged appropriately.

Hopefully that has an age statement on it, you can get in trouble with that stuff if it's not aged appropriately.

Duly noted captain.

Eric, I think you would get stuck with this. The market for novelty alone only goes so far. The same for people that want to support businesses in their home state. At some point, if the product isn't close to competitors in the same price range, it will be a flash in the pan.

Fudge.

Guess ill have to order my case from out of state.

I have beers that have spent longer in a barrel.

I have seen Facebook posts about the bourbon classic...but no one with any experience has said they learned anything at it. Looks like they shook down the major distillers and the ancillary players to participate yet nothing new was uncovered.

More BS in a popular pasture.

Ha, you may have missed a goldmine here. Buddy that went to the Bourbon Classic said that these guys had a huge crowd the whole time there. People were lapping it up. Craziness.

Ha, you may have missed a goldmine here. Buddy that went to the Bourbon Classic said that these guys had a huge crowd the whole time there. People were lapping it up. Craziness.

Given timing in relation to Super Bowl, kind of surprised it was packed.

Thanks Sean, you made me spit coffee on myself!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.