A good Irish whisky?

dSculptor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey guys, I want to go outside my normal realm of bourbon and try a new irish,I really like the RB line,and have tried the regular Jameson (eh), any recommendations?

Powers. Johns. Lane.

Hopefully available where you are and well worth seeking out, especially for a bourbon fan.

Redbreast 12 regular or the Cask Strength. Both are great options. Additionally, I really enjoyed Tyrconnell's barrel finish series. Especially the Madeira.

Redbreast 12 regular or the Cask Strength. Both are great options. Additionally, I really enjoyed Tyrconnell's barrel finish series. Especially the Madeira.

Yes, what he said. Skip the older Redbreasts. You don't really get more bang for your buck, and you will definitely pay more bucks. And I was pleasantly surprised with the Tyrconnell Madeira Finish. Delicious stuff. Power's Johns Lane is also splendid.

The Redbreast 12 Cask Strength is in my Top 5 All Time whiskies of any kind. I also was floored by how good the Power's John Lane was when I had it at the Gazebo in Bardstown last KBF.

Thanks, for the input so far,I am already very familiar with the Redbreast line, and am very fond of it , love 'em all.Looking for something along the same lines. Are there different versions of the Powers John lane?

Straight Line Irish? ....You might try Bushmills; pretty good; .... Or, sweeter? Try Tullamore Dew... or even better? Try TD 12-year (only a bit different/better). ...Just my own opinion.

I've always been a fan of Black Bush. Richer than the regular offering, pretty sherried, I think. Reasonably priced, too.

I've really enjoyed the RB as most here have pointed out, other than that the age stated Bushmills have been among my favorites like the 10 and 16. I have not tried the 21 yet but I hope to soon. An odd, but fun, pour is the Jameson Black Bottle. It came out not too long ago and is their answer to black bush. I go back on forth with it so I'm not sure if I really like it or not but it's certainly unusual.

Powers John's Lane and Redbreast CS those should be readily available Green Spot if you see it.Really seems to be a consistent list of recommendations here so thinning the herd shouldn't be hard when making a choice.

Powers John's Lane and Redbreast CS those should be readily available Green Spot if you see it.Really seems to be a consistent list of recommendations here so thinning the herd shouldn't be hard when making a choice.

I am also firmly in the PJL camp. For a bit of a value pour I like the Powers Signature Release which is younger but still has some of the PJL characteristics for usually $20 or so less. The Green Spot is nice but the real champ of that line (so far) is the Yellow Spot. Unfortunately that is currently only available from north of the border or across the pond. I think I still prefer the PJL but it is very good in its own way. The Green Spot has come in to Georgia at a pretty spendy $60ish which is similar to the cost of PJL but the Powers Signature Release is as good or better to me for less and seems to be pretty readily available.

I also concur with the Tyrconnell finished whiskey, especially the Madiera. The regular 10yo is fairly unremarkable though.

Of course none of them stand up to the Teeling Silver Reserve 21yo Sauternes finished single malt! :cool:

I may have to try the Tyrconell for myself,I have seen it around just hadn't heard much about it and I'm always up for something new and unique.

Echo PJL and Redbreast CS - also like the Black Bush for an economical option. Bushmill 16 and 21 are nice finished whiskies if you are looking to spend a little more. I also thought the Jameson 12 or Black Barrel were good options, but of the two I'd opt for the 12 year for just a few more bucks.

I am also firmly in the PJL camp. For a bit of a value pour I like the Powers Signature Release which is younger but still has some of the PJL characteristics for usually $20 or so less. The Green Spot is nice but the real champ of that line (so far) is the Yellow Spot. Unfortunately that is currently only available from north of the border or across the pond. I think I still prefer the PJL but it is very good in its own way. The Green Spot has come in to Georgia at a pretty spendy $60ish which is similar to the cost of PJL but the Powers Signature Release is as good or better to me for less and seems to be pretty readily available.

I also concur with the Tyrconnell finished whiskey, especially the Madiera. The regular 10yo is fairly unremarkable though.

Of course none of them stand up to the Teeling Silver Reserve 21yo Sauternes finished single malt! :cool:

Damn spendy on that Green Spot. $45 here and I'm a player at that amount, even if I think that's a bit high. If it gets much higher than that though forget it.

I've just lately been enjoying Tullamore Dew Phoenix. Its a limited edition, non chill filtered, bottled at 55%ABV. Its a blend but it has more pot still whiskey in it than the TD 12yr, which I also like. So if you like RB I think you'll like this. The high ABV gives it lots of heat. I find that the flavor still holds up well with a good dollop of water to calm it down a bit. I've tried quite a few Irish whiskeys and so far this is easily my favorite. As mentioned, the Powers Signature is good, but quite a bit sweeter and doesn't have quite as much character as the Phoenix.

I may have to try the Tyrconell for myself,I have seen it around just hadn't heard much about it and I'm always up for something new and unique.
I don't think you'll be disappointed if you do.

Straight Line Irish? ....You might try Bushmills; pretty good; .... Or, sweeter? Try Tullamore Dew... or even better? Try TD 12-year (only a bit different/better). ...Just my own opinion.

Bushmills might be the worst alcohol I've ever tried. I got it as a stocking stuffer one year and my wife and I each tried making Irish coffees. We threw the entire rest of the bottle away after one sip.

I've sampled the entire Midleton line and Jameson 12 and Jameson Gold Reserve are the best values for me. They even stand up well to Midleton Very Rare and Jameson Vintage Reserve. Redbreast 12 is also good… plan on trying the cask strength some day.

Bushmills might be the worst alcohol I've ever tried. I got it as a stocking stuffer one year and my wife and I each tried making Irish coffees. We threw the entire rest of the bottle away after one sip.

Bushmills Black or White?

I enjoy the Black quite a bit.

I've just lately been enjoying Tullamore Dew Phoenix. Its a limited edition, non chill filtered, bottled at 55%ABV. Its a blend but it has more pot still whiskey in it than the TD 12yr, which I also like. So if you like RB I think you'll like this. The high ABV gives it lots of heat. I find that the flavor still holds up well with a good dollop of water to calm it down a bit. I've tried quite a few Irish whiskeys and so far this is easily my favorite. As mentioned, the Powers Signature is good, but quite a bit sweeter and doesn't have quite as much character as the Phoenix.

So far I like this recommendation, sounds like what I'm looking for, but what kind of money are we talking,.... and seeing that is an LE, is it easy to find? I'm not looking for another PVW, but something more on the lines of the RB, SOMEWHAT AFFORDABLE, but really good whisky. I know I'm asking alot ...but you got to set your standards high nowadays..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.