A good Irish whisky?

dSculptor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

After an Irish whiskey tasting event with a bunch of friends, it was my conclusion that Kilbeggan is a head and shoulders above the Jameson/Bushmill's/Tullamore/Powers crowd of roughly similarly-priced "regular" Irish whiskeys. I also preferred the Redbreast 12 to the Green Spot and Teelings offerings among the up-market whiskeys, but we didn't have any of the other higher-end whiskeys mentioned in this thread.

Comparing traditional Irish whiskeys (blends or pot-still whiskeys with unmalted barley) to single malts, even if they are made in Ireland, seems to me to be apples-to-oranges---they're different categories of spirit. Something like Tyrconnell or Bushmill's Malt may be from Ireland but they are much closer to some Scotch malt whiskey than they are to something like Redbreast or Green Spot or whatever. Which isn't to say they aren't good (they are); just that if somebody asks about "Irish whiskey" I assume he or she wants to know about that style of whiskey that is the distinctive spirit of Ireland. That's not a single malt.

I thought I'd check this thread out to see what some of you have had to say about Irish whiskies. A regular Monday tasting event that me and a couple other members go to will be featuring Jameson and Redbreast Irish whiskies next Monday night. I've had Redbreast 12 and 15 and I thought they both were pretty good. I can't remember if I've ever had Jameson though. CRS disease ya' know. :rolleyes: Should be an interesting Monday next week. Looking forward to it though. Hopefully me, or Vosgar will be able to post some tasting notes.

Cheers! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.