A good Irish whisky?

dSculptor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well I finally got me a greenspot, popped her open and had me a dram, a bit peaty nose to me, but the taste is fantastic, very fruity,did a sbs with RB12 and I think I may like the Greenspot a bit more,I then did a vat of both of them (very small), but does show some potential,may have to work on it a bit more.The GS is definetly the overpowering one. Isn't there a yellowspot out there also? How does that compare to the Gs?

Well I finally got me a greenspot, popped her open and had me a dram, a bit peaty nose to me, but the taste is fantastic, very fruity,did a sbs with RB12 and I think I may like the Greenspot a bit more,I then did a vat of both of them (very small), but does show some potential,may have to work on it a bit more.The GS is definetly the overpowering one. Isn't there a yellowspot out there also? How does that compare to the Gs?

If you snag a YS, color me jealous.

Yellow Spot is only available in Europe so far (Or is it Ireland only?) but bottles do make their way across, usually from some of the main UK retailers. I've had a taste once and really enjoyed it, but I did not get a chance to compare it to GS or RB. I have a RB 12 CS and a GS open now, might be time to try and grab a YS to compare...

Yellow Spot is only available in Europe so far (Or is it Ireland only?) but bottles do make their way across, usually from some of the main UK retailers. I've had a taste once and really enjoyed it, but I did not get a chance to compare it to GS or RB. I have a RB 12 CS and a GS open now, might be time to try and grab a YS to compare...

I believe Yellow Spot has found its way across the pond to Canada but not the US so far. Sadly I did not see any in Amsterdam when I passed through several weeks ago although I will look again on Monday on my return trip. I can say with certainty that there is none in Turkmenistan! Nor any of the other Stan's in Central Asia. Basics Jameson's is the closest you can get and that is only if you are in a major hotel. Bourbon is limited to the usual, Jim and Jack.

Vodka on the other hand is plentiful...

• 2 weeks later...

I was sorely disappointed when my wife returned from England last week and could not find Yellow Spot at either of the duty-free shops she visited at Heathrow. In one instance, the clerk didn't even know what it was. Hard to believe!

I was sorely disappointed when my wife returned from England last week and could not find Yellow Spot at either of the duty-free shops she visited at Heathrow. In one instance, the clerk didn't even know what it was. Hard to believe!

Send 'er back, Hank! And tell her, don't come back til ya do!

Then duck... :lol:

It appears the Yellow Spot can be hard to find. Even in Dublin the Duty Free Store reports it sells out about as fast as they get it in.

It appears the Yellow Spot can be hard to find. Even in Dublin the Duty Free Store reports it sells out about as fast as they get it in.

It's pretty awesome stuff. Sounds like the Irish market equivalent of ECBP or ETL around here now.

I was fortunate to have someone gift me the one bottle I have which I am rationing to extend its lifespan. Sadly, I am down to a quarter bottle or so but have enjoyed each and every pour. Delicious stuff and quite complex as Irish whiskies go.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone tried Glandalough 7? It's from a new "craft" distillery that was founded in 2011, so they obviously got the juice from somewhere else. I can't find out who. But it's a really delicious whiskey. I got some for $40 and really enjoyed it.

What about Greenore? I've heard great stuff about it, but have yet to see it on the shelves around Boston (not that I have looked all that hard.)

And just to echo a lot of this thread - I love RB 12 CS! I also really like Bushmill's 10. I need to try Powers John's Lane.

I'm so frustrated with bourbon right now so I decided to really focus on Irish for awhile.

Has anyone tried Glandalough 7? It's from a new "craft" distillery that was founded in 2011, so they obviously got the juice from somewhere else. I can't find out who. But it's a really delicious whiskey. I got some for $40 and really enjoyed it.

What about Greenore? I've heard great stuff about it, but have yet to see it on the shelves around Boston (not that I have looked all that hard.)

And just to echo a lot of this thread - I love RB 12 CS! I also really like Bushmill's 10. I need to try Powers John's Lane.

I'm so frustrated with bourbon right now so I decided to really focus on Irish for awhile.

I have not tried the new Glendalough 7 but I was a bit disappointed by the poitin they released so I have not been in any rush yet, especially since as you note it is sourced and not their whiskey. Double distillation strongly suggests Cooley as the source (I think the name was officially changed to Kilbeggan Distillery when Beam/Suntory took over? In any case there is now a separate Kilbeggan distillery on the site of the original one in addition to the Cooley distillery.) since the other two main distilleries, Bushmills and Midleton, typically triple distill their whiskey. They may have bought these barrels a few years ago as Cooley, once a main source for independent brand whiskey, ended most independent brand contracts when Beam first bought it.

Greenore is a Cooley grain whiskey that is mostly corn and released most commonly as an 8 yo in the US. It is still around (Party Source has a few in stock for example). It is a very light and a somewhat slightly bourbon like whiskey. There are older versions at 15 and 18yo but they were limited when released a couple of years ago and are probably not that commonly available anymore. I have them both and like them more than the 8yo.

• 1 month later...

In honor of the day i'm revisiting my Tullamore Dew 12. Being on a bourbon kick lately, I had forgotten how much I enjoy the slight sweetness of this. I wish my tastebuds were better at picking out descriptors, but I'll have to leave it at a very enjoyable pour for me that smoothes out nicely if you give it a few minutes to open up. In fact, what heat there is immediately out of the bottle mellows out very noticibly after a few minutes.

I recently purchased a bottle of Bushmills 21 as a tribute bottle for the passing of a friend's mother. I found it to be delicious. Even though the proof is low, the mouthfeel was respectable, I got graham crackers and honey in the nose with the honey coming through in the flavor as well. I would love to try this at a higher proof.

I was blown away by a taste I had from a sample of RB21. Blown away. Amazing grapefruit citrus notes reminiscent of an IPA. Nothing bitter, but a complex funkiness towards the finish. Well-proofed at 92. It's a pricey proposition, but that is a WOW whiskey for sure.

*Edit: forgot to mention this was courtesy of a fellow SB'er!

Edited by AaronWF

I was blown away by a taste I had from a sample of RB21. Blown away. Amazing grapefruit citrus notes reminiscent of an IPA. Nothing bitter, but a complex funkiness towards the finish. Well-proofed at 92. It's a pricey proposition, but that is a WOW whiskey for sure.

It is indeed grand stuff, isn't it! I am convinced that note is mango but it could be a grapefruit I suppose. A sweet, tropical grapefruit!

• 2 weeks later...
Wife surprised me with a bottle of yellow spot for my birthday! I think I'll keep her.

Have you had the Green spot, if so how does the YS compare to it? Nice to see it's around, like to find me one. Lately I've been doing a vat of RB12 and GS..50/50 Best of both worlds!

Agreed on the citrus. I got to try this at tasting about a month ago. I noticed citrus and an herbal quality.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, at least I didn't see it.

I love Clontarf 1014 a light, but very smooth and tasty Irish Whiskey at 80 proof.

• 3 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.