A good Irish whisky?

dSculptor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So far I like this recommendation, sounds like what I'm looking for, but what kind of money are we talking,.... and seeing that is an LE, is it easy to find? I'm not looking for another PVW, but something more on the lines of the RB, SOMEWHAT AFFORDABLE, but really good whisky. I know I'm asking alot ...but you got to set your standards high nowadays..

a quick google turns up:

www.drinkupny.com/Tullamore_Dew_Phoenix_Limited_Edition_Irish_Whisey_p/s1244.htm

Also check out Greenore Single Grain - it's a single grain whisky and I think it's pretty tasty and since corn is the primary ingredient it is a good whisky for a bourbon lover. GreenSpot is now available in the US - I forgot what I saw it priced at. Another Irish whiskey that doesn't get a lot of respect is Knappogue Castle 12 Year Single Malt - I've seen it on sale for $25 in several states, although it normally runs $35-40. I find it to be a crowd favorite when I bring it to parties.

Along with Green Spot, Redbreast 21 YO is now arriving in the States. I have a sample but haven't tried it; the folks at WA certainly liked it:

http://whiskyadvocate.com/whisky/2013/12/14/whisky-advocate-award-irish-whiskey-of-the-year-2/

That said, it costs some serious coin; there are obviously other, more affordable ways to crack into the category.

Also check out Greenore Single Grain - it's a single grain whisky and I think it's pretty tasty and since corn is the primary ingredient it is a good whisky for a bourbon lover. GreenSpot is now available in the US - I forgot what I saw it priced at. Another Irish whiskey that doesn't get a lot of respect is Knappogue Castle 12 Year Single Malt - I've seen it on sale for $25 in several states, although it normally runs $35-40. I find it to be a crowd favorite when I bring it to parties.

I tried Knappoque when it came out and remember liking it but it didn't making a lasting impression like Powers or Black Bush. For an interesting story there's Clontarf which uses a preaging charcoal filtering system based on Jack Daniels.

I'm going to take the minority opinion and disagree about Greenore. I bought a bottle based on Ralfy's glowing recommendation and never did grow to like it very much. I may have gotten a bad bottle, but I still suggest you try before you buy. At any rate, I also enjoyed Knappogue Castle, but not nearly as much as Redbreast 12 if I'm being honest. It does have an interesting story, given that Knappogue is an example of an NDP in the Irish Whiskey industry. They primarily source whiskey from Bushmills, but I believe they used to buy it from Cooley as well. If you do buy a recent bottling of Knappogue, I'd suggest doing a side-by-side comparison to a Bushmills product of similar age.

For value my choice is Powers.

My choice as well for a very solid, every day Irish whiskey. And when I have a few extra bucks in my pocket, Powers 12 makes a nice change of pace without breaking the bank. Having grown up in an Irish neighborhood in Queens in an Irish-American family, I've probably consumed about as much Irish whiskey as any person I've ever met and have found that you don't have to spend a lot to get decent quality. Redbreast, of course, is another favorite but has jumped in price in recent years, no doubt due to the rather sudden increase in mid-to-upper shelf Irish whiskies flooding the market. Quite honestly, I've purchased and/or consumed nearly all of the really expensive ones (and many of them quite a few times) but to this day I still tend to reach for the Irish stuff mostly when I'm seeking a "session" whiskey, leaving the real quaffing to single malts and bourbons. But that's just me and my old habits. On St. Patrick's Day which is just around the corner (and my anniversary to boot!), we'll be sampling some from the top shelf in the evening but throughout the day my Irish relatives and I will be drinking Paddy, as my family has done for as long as I can remember. Being produced in Cork where much of my family originally came from, it remains a traditional favorite of ours and for many years was "muled" back to NYC by friends and family when they visited Ireland due to its unavailability here (until it arrived in America in 2010), making it something of a valued treat, especially for the older folks.

Edited by unclebunk

I thought Knappoque sourced their product from Middleton but I don't suppose it matters.
I'm going off Ralfy review 348 for the Bushmills and memory for Cooley, so I absolutely could be wrong on both counts. I don't personally think it is a huge deal if the product is good quality, but people generally get pretty wrapped around the axle regarding bourbon NDPs, so I figured it was worth mentioning at least.

Maybe there'll be a few Irish's in the "magic cart" at Binny's next weekend, that would be great,to sample first,then buy,if we could do that all the time,wouldn't that be something. An exclusive shelf just for sampling,yeh,I like it. (yeh I know their called- bars)

Good story. My family roots are Scottish but our traditional whisky is Old Grand Dad.

The Irish are my mother's side of the family with my mother being the first generation born here in the US, so we always had a nice contingent of Irish straight off the boat when my grandparents, great aunts and uncles and assorted cousins gathered at our house on weekends, holidays and special occasions. My great uncle Conor, the funniest man who ever lived and had thousands of jokes (and just as many tunes) ready at the tip of his tongue whenever he was "well oiled," used to delight in teasing my father and his side of the family who were from Scotland. When I was little, Old Conor would gently elbow me in the ribs at the dinner table and whisper in my ear, "Watch me get the veins to stand in your father's forehead" and would then proceed to rail about the Scots and English "ruining the north of Ireland with their in-breeding and pagan Protestant ways." And sure enough, once he had my father and the rest of the men in his family's blood boiling, he'd burst out laughing and practically roll on the floor, so pleased to have "proven the superiority of the Irish because we Irish know how to laugh and the Scots just grumble." It was never a dull moment and boy did that whiskey flow!:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My choice as well for a very solid, every day Irish whiskey. And when I have a few extra bucks in my pocket, Powers 12 makes a nice change of pace without breaking the bank. Having grown up in an Irish neighborhood in Queens in an Irish-American family, I've probably consumed about as much Irish whiskey as any person I've ever met and have found that you don't have to spend a lot to get decent quality. Redbreast, of course, is another favorite but has jumped in price in recent years, no doubt due to the rather sudden increase in mid-to-upper shelf Irish whiskies flooding the market. Quite honestly, I've purchased and/or consumed nearly all of the really expensive ones (and many of them quite a few times) but to this day I still tend to reach for the Irish stuff mostly when I'm seeking a "session" whiskey, leaving the real quaffing to single malts and bourbons. But that's just me and my old habits. On St. Patrick's Day which is just around the corner (and my anniversary to boot!), we'll be sampling some from the top shelf in the evening but throughout the day my Irish relatives and I will be drinking Paddy, as my family has done for as long as I can remember. Being produced in Cork where much of my family originally came from, it remains a traditional favorite of ours and for many years was "muled" back to NYC by friends and family when they visited Ireland due to its unavailability here (until it arrived in America in 2010), making it something of a valued treat, especially for the older folks.

I was hoping to see the fine old Paddy show up in this thread. Thanks for sharing your memories.

I'm going to take the minority opinion and disagree about Greenore. I bought a bottle based on Ralfy's glowing recommendation and never did grow to like it very much. I may have gotten a bad bottle, but I still suggest you try before you buy. At any rate, I also enjoyed Knappogue Castle, but not nearly as much as Redbreast 12 if I'm being honest. It does have an interesting story, given that Knappogue is an example of an NDP in the Irish Whiskey industry. They primarily source whiskey from Bushmills, but I believe they used to buy it from Cooley as well. If you do buy a recent bottling of Knappogue, I'd suggest doing a side-by-side comparison to a Bushmills product of similar age.

The Greenore 8 is a bit mild but a decent intro whiskey. The 15 and the 18 are a bit harder to find but much better and more interesting to me.

Knappogue Castle, being a sourced whiskey, has indeed acquired whiskey from both Cooley and Bushmills in the past. The standard 12 is currently Bushmills I believe. Used to be a vintage dated whiskey but that changed a couple of years ago.

I was able to get the TD Phoenix for $55. Now its on sale for $50. That link to drinkupny seems like a high price at $63. If its hard to find or expensive in your area, I second the suggestion of Powers as a good standby. Powers seems to be in the process of rebranding. I've had the Powers Gold at the standard 40%ABV. Now they've changed it to 43.2% and non-chill filtered. Have not tried this new one as the old stuff hasn't worked it way off the shelf yet. Either way, its worth a try and usually easy to find.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried the new Power's yet. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Edited by Merrymash Monk

Anyone seen RB 12 CS around Chicago lately? Haven't seen it at any Binny's in a quite a while. Greatly enjoyed the regular 12 and would not hesitate to buy the CS if I could find it.

Anyone seen RB 12 CS around Chicago lately? Haven't seen it at any Binny's in a quite a while. Greatly enjoyed the regular 12 and would not hesitate to buy the CS if I could find it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.