What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's Spring 2014 so what better time than now for a new thread!

I'm just sitting back and enjoying a pour from one of my standards: Talisker 10. I'm always blown away by how good this 10yr old is after a long absence - there's a good reason why I always have one of these open in my bar. Slainte!

Edited by ChainWhip

After coaxing it out of its wooden sarcophagus, I decided to crack open my GlenDronach 33 tonight. I really have to quell my urge to open my nice bottles with a dramatic flourish...the last two times I've ended up with broken, crumbling corks.

The nose of this one is huge, though not terribly complex. Maybe the most sherried malt I've ever tasted. Pure, rich candy. Like drinking a Luxardo cherry. At 40% ABV it just sits in your mouth, almost cool to your tongue. Finish is nice and long...you can only tell it's whiskey after you swallow.

I won't be holding back on enjoying this bottle whenever I am in the mood. It's delicious, and I will savor each glass, but I don't feel the need to squirrel it away...and that's a good thing.

After coaxing it out of its wooden sarcophagus, I decided to crack open my GlenDronach 33 tonight. I really have to quell my urge to open my nice bottles with a dramatic flourish...the last two times I've ended up with broken, crumbling corks.

The nose of this one is huge, though not terribly complex. Maybe the most sherried malt I've ever tasted. Pure, rich candy. Like drinking a Luxardo cherry. At 40% ABV it just sits in your mouth, almost cool to your tongue. Finish is nice and long...you can only tell it's whiskey after you swallow.

I won't be holding back on enjoying this bottle whenever I am in the mood. It's delicious, and I will savor each glass, but I don't feel the need to squirrel it away...and that's a good thing.

That's a hell of a start to this thread. Nicely done. March has me more into Irish and Bourbon. My interest in scotch will emerge again soon.

Last night I went to a Compass Box event with the GBS fellas. I hit the Delilah's, Spice Tree, and John Glaser pulled out a little of The General for us to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So... It's not the dram I'm looking for? (In my best Asian Obi-Wan Kenobi accent)

:) It was an exceptional pour.

Exactly what I didn't need to hear ;)

I choose my friends based on their abilities to make me feel better about my miscreant behavior.

I choose my friends based on their abilities to make me feel better about my miscreant behavior.

We should get along just fine then! (Frantically searching online for a bottle)

Enjoying a newly opened Springbank 12CS while watching the Sweet 16

eme9ezyh.jpg

Enjoying a nice sherry aged malt and toasting Mr. Jackson.

This is a seriously good pour. Competes with some of the better CS sherried pours I've had. Thanks!

Sipping from samples (thx mysterious good looking SB'r) of KL Faultline Miltonduff 30yr & KL AD Rattray Clynelish 16 (almost tequila-like on the nose) - both are stunningly good and have me thinking I need to get a few of my own.

Sipping on a Red Breast 12 while I wait for my flight at an Irish pub in the DFW airport. Sure, it's only 11:45 right now and it's 9:45 back home but whatever :D

I'm thinking the fish and chips will go nicely with this.

We should get along just fine then! (Frantically searching online for a bottle)

Yes sir, I do believe you are correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nikka Straight from the Barrel. Wish i had more than just the MoM drinks by the dram on this one....may need to order a bottle. Long finish with just the right bite.

Nikka Straight from the Barrel. Wish i had more than just the MoM drinks by the dram on this one....may need to order a bottle. Long finish with just the right bite.

If you find it in the US let me know! It seems to only be available from overseas. On the top of my list for my next trip. Well, near the top...

Because it's illegal to sell liquor in 500ml bottles you won't find any in the US. But it can be found right across the border in Canada.

Just returned home from the whiskey monger with a bottle of Green Spot. My first pour and I am stunned by the similarities between this and Woodford Reserve, particularly on the nose. If I had nosed this in a blind tasting, I would have called it a WR of some sort. Unfortunately, I know that this observation kills the chance that some of you will ever try Green Spot, now...:lol: Must be the pot still influence, but even that can't fully explain it, as there are other Irish that are pot still, that don't have what I'm picking up in this. Really wonderful, as I enjoy regular WR, and this is better. Maybe, WR should attempt an Irish style for their next Master's Collection...:D

Edited by smokinjoe

Because it's illegal to sell liquor in 500ml bottles you won't find any in the US. But it can be found right across the border in Canada.

Maybe, WR should attempt an Irish style for their next Master's Collection...:D

That would be a natural and they could age it in reuse barrels.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!