What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last of a sample of K&L Clynelish 16 year from AD Rattray. Really enjoyed this one. As it's starting to heat up around here, the light, fruity, "crisp" malts are more enjoyable for me. Thanks to the awesome member who sent this!

After I cracked that one I went back to look...and they were all sold out. That one has a lot going on for 16 years. Wonderfully fruity while keeping the Clynelish character.

Love that K&L Clynelish...

Back on the whisky-wagon tonight with McMenamins Edgefield Devils Bit 8yr/2014 - 46%, 200ml

13865192845_ea8e699080_z.jpg

Back on the whisky-wagon tonight with McMenamins Edgefield Devils Bit 8yr/2014 - 46%, 200ml

Can't recall if you have given your thoughts on either yet. If not then...

Plan to get into the Devil's Bit for the first time tomorrow.

The Devils Bit bedeviled me as that was my first taste of liquor in over a week - I know I liked it and it had a great blooming effect on the palate...

Mouthfeel was thinner than expected on the General but that was after some pretty good (in the mouthfeel dept with the) Devils Bit & MWND... It's a sweeter, fresher version of the Samaroli Evolution 2013 for me (minus peat & smoke)... I got lots of vanilla the first time around - coupled with Sherry, Ginger candy, a little bit of citrus... I didn't take any notes last night but it had a lot of layers going on and definitely bears spending more time with. I may add a few drops of Ardbeg to taste how it'd be with a little peat... All in all, I'm really glad I got this bottle - no regrets there.

No clue what the hell it was but I dig it! Rich, fruity, sweet, sappy on the palate. Someone at Costco or the distributor knows how to pick em. Or it was just dumb luck. Either way, wish I had another. I think I polished that one off in two weeks which is lightning fast for me. It hit the bin a few nights ago.

ujeqe9e9.jpg

No clue what the hell it was but I dig it! Rich, fruity, sweet, sappy on the palate. Someone at Costco or the distributor knows how to pick em. Or it was just dumb luck. Either way, wish I had another. I think I polished that one off in two weeks which is lightning fast for me. It hit the bin a few nights ago.

ujeqe9e9.jpg

I'm pretty sure that it's Macallan watered down. Really good value for $40. When my local Costco had it, I bought 3. 18 year sherried SMS for $40. Count me in...even at 80 proof.

The Devils Bit bedeviled me as that was my first taste of liquor in over a week - I know I liked it and it had a great blooming effect on the palate...

Mouthfeel was thinner than expected on the General but that was after some pretty good (in the mouthfeel dept with the) Devils Bit & MWND... It's a sweeter, fresher version of the Samaroli Evolution 2013 for me (minus peat & smoke)... I got lots of vanilla the first time around - coupled with Sherry, Ginger candy, a little bit of citrus... I didn't take any notes last night but it had a lot of layers going on and definitely bears spending more time with. I may add a few drops of Ardbeg to taste how it'd be with a little peat... All in all, I'm really glad I got this bottle - no regrets there.

Interesting stuff. I'm coming down with something tonight. I tried to do a tequila review and really had to fight through it.

So I guess the wee dram that I'm enjoying right now is 2 Gingers Irish Whiskey with a squeeze of lime in ginger ale. Works well watching a little baseball. I'd rather be tasting some of the good stuff, but I don't want to waste it when my palate sucks.

Interesting stuff. I'm coming down with something tonight. I tried to do a tequila review and really had to fight through it.

So I guess the wee dram that I'm enjoying right now is 2 Gingers Irish Whiskey with a squeeze of lime in ginger ale. Works well watching a little baseball. I'd rather be tasting some of the good stuff, but I don't want to waste it when my palate sucks.

I revisited the General again w/ a former SBr and it was much much better when I added a little bit of Ardbeg Rollercoaster to it tonight - made a huge difference as it was just lacking a little bit of a counterpoint or "oomph" to the sweetness & grain subtlety.

Happy Good Friday y'all!

Last night's bottle pickup from a buddy ended up becoming an impromptu tasting session between a few of us.

13918219713_4a59d050cc_b.jpg

Happy Good Friday y'all!

Last night's bottle pickup from a buddy ended up becoming an impromptu tasting session between a few of us.

13918219713_4a59d050cc_b.jpg

Nice lineup, Johnny. Good to see you could sneak the SB.com HHSS in there! Looks like you have them lined up from left to right, and best to...not so best. Well done.

Nice lineup, Johnny. Good to see you could sneak the SB.com HHSS in there! Looks like you have them lined up from left to right, and best to...not so best. Well done.

Thank goodness we all don't have the same palate preferences

;)

Though, I didn't get to all of those bottles (DD duties and all that) & the Charbay R3 was the (pleasant) surprise of evening for me.

Edited by ChainWhip

Thank goodness we all don't have the same palate preferences

;)

I didn't get to all of those bottles (DD duties and all that) & the Charbay R3 was the (pleasant) surprise of evening for me.

Gotcha! ;) Well, good to see the nice line up, even if you didn't get to all of them.

Gotcha! ;) Well, good to see the nice line up, even if you didn't get to all of them.

If you're ever in Seattle Joe, let us know!

If you're ever in Seattle Joe, let us know!

Thanks y'all! I hope that day comes very soon! Gorgeous part of the country. I've enjoyed all of my visits there!

:toast:

I stocked up on a few essentials today (couple bourbons, talisker, laphroaig and ardbeg aswell as some apperetifs and odds and ends) and when I got home I looked over the receipt and noticed the clerk hadnt scanned the ardbeg, so I went back and for my effort was offered 50% off any whiskey.

So I rolled the dice and grabbed a bottle of Black Bull 12 yr blended scotch, kinda pricey at $80rrp for a blend but my first impression is very good. Its 100 proof and its feels like a grown up version of johhny black label (which is good but overpriced IMO)

Its got plenty of sherry sweetness up front, a light smokey mid, bit of dusty chocolate and raisin on the nose and back palate, fairly long finish thats tannic enougb to keep the saliva flowing and me wanting more. I may pay full price for this next time.

Had a splash of Ardbeg 10 last night while catching up on Archer. That one just scratches the Islay itch for me......and I'm itchy often. :)

I stocked up on a few essentials today (couple bourbons, talisker, laphroaig and ardbeg aswell as some apperetifs and odds and ends) and when I got home I looked over the receipt and noticed the clerk hadnt scanned the ardbeg, so I went back and for my effort was offered 50% off any whiskey.

So I rolled the dice and grabbed a bottle of Black Bull 12 yr blended scotch, kinda pricey at $80rrp for a blend but my first impression is very good. Its 100 proof and its feels like a grown up version of johhny black label (which is good but overpriced IMO)

Its got plenty of sherry sweetness up front, a light smokey mid, bit of dusty chocolate and raisin on the nose and back palate, fairly long finish thats tannic enougb to keep the saliva flowing and me wanting more. I may pay full price for this next time.

Having a wee nip of Ealanta as a change of pace this evening.

I had the same intention last night WAG, and my choice was a Balvenie DoubleWood for my change of pace. Unfortunately, it fell completely flat for me after an evening of powerhouse bourbons, particularly a Four Roses OBSK which really shone. I usually enjoy this expression of Balvenie, and thought it would be a nice night ender, but it just lacked the firepower to keep up. It seemed unbalanced, and just a mess of sweetness. I'll have to remember that for next time. :D

I had the same intention last night WAG, and my choice was a Balvenie DoubleWood for my change of pace. Unfortunately, it fell completely flat for me after an evening of powerhouse bourbons, particularly a Four Roses OBSK which really shone. I usually enjoy this expression of Balvenie, and thought it would be a nice night ender, but it just lacked the firepower to keep up. It seemed unbalanced, and just a mess of sweetness. I'll have to remember that for next time. :D

Yeah, I know some folks like Bruce can be all over the map but I can't really mix bourbon drinking and scotch drinking. It just doesn't work for me.

I haven't had much experience with this, but I think starting with a scotch like the Balvenie DW and moving to bourbon would work for me, while the other way around - I'd have the same experience as Joe. Now that might not work with a strong Islay single malt . . . although that might be interesting to try!

Don't get me wrong, it has nothing to with the characteristics of one melding with the other. I like all whiskeys but I have to be in the mood for each. If I'm in a bourbon mood, throwing a scotch in there does not go well and the other way too.

I agree with this. I normally do not mix bourbon and malt - one bourbon and I'm hooked on it for the night. One exception would be that I can mix (though carefully) when doing small tastes of many whiskeys. Another exception is when a meal separates them; I can have a few of one or the other, eat dinner and dive into either afterwards, depending on what I'm in the mood for.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!