What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Killing some bottles tonight. First was the last dram of Glenfiddich Age of Discovery. Moving on to the last dram of a Glen Grant Five Decades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Killing some bottles tonight. First was the last dram of Glenfiddich Age of Discovery. Moving on to the last dram of a Glen Grant Five Decades.

Which Age of Discovery? If it was the bourbon cask, what are your thoughts on it? I'm interested, but the price tag ($150-160 around here) is giving me pause.

It's the Bourbon Cask. It's a fine whiskey but nothing special for the $ they are asking.

Thanks. I'd say I know of 8-12 floating around the area, so I'm going to hold off while I grab a few "harder to come by" bottles first. If there are any still around at that time, maybe I'll pick one up. I enjoyed Snow Phoenix and have a 2012 Cask of Dreams that I'm waiting to open in the meantime.

Went with some Octomore 2_140. So peaty it makes my eyes burn. That band aid nose is a bit off-putting at times, but still enjoyable.

I've heard good things about Black Bull 12, glad to see that it stacks up. If you're ever in the mood for a real splurge, check out Black Bull 40. I don't think you would be able to find a less expensive 40 year old whisky (at least not of similar quality), and it is an amazing gentle dram. The 30 year old supposedly has a lot more oomph to it, if you prefer bolder whiskies.

Will keep an eye out for both, the RRPs seem pretty reasonable

Enjoying a quiet evening at home reading with a glass of Lagavulin 12 (2012 release).

Don't get me wrong, it has nothing to with the characteristics of one melding with the other. I like all whiskeys but I have to be in the mood for each. If I'm in a bourbon mood, throwing a scotch in there does not go well and the other way too.

I'm the opposite. I generally start with bourbon and finish with Scotch. But my Scotch bunker is about 90% Islay so this shouldn't be too surprising. :)

Enjoying a quiet evening at home reading with a glass of Lagavulin 12 (2012 release).

Can't go wrong there! The 2012 was excellent! Lots of salt and seaweed in that one IIRC.

Hidden
Can't go wrong there! The 2012 was excellent! Lots of salt and seaweed in that one IIRC.
Damn straight! Lot's of brine, seaweed, and finishes with a really nice undertone of malted chocolate (think the center of a whopper).

As to the bourbon/scotch argument: I absolutely will start the night off with a bourbon and move onto scotch, but I tend to prefer drams that aren't necessarily categorized as "gentle" or "subtle", so that shouldn't be of any surprise. I go through Islay malts fairly quickly, yet it generally takes me many moons to finish a single bottle of a gentle highland malt. To be honest, if I start the night off with unpeated scotch, I have no issues moving on to bourbon after that, either. Cuz I'm fancy.

Damn straight! Lots of brine, seaweed, and finishes with a really nice undertone of malted chocolate (think the center of a whopper).

As to the bourbon/scotch argument: I absolutely will start the night off with a bourbon and move onto scotch, but I tend to prefer drams that aren't necessarily categorized as "gentle" or "subtle", so that shouldn't be of any surprise. I go through Islay malts fairly quickly, yet it generally takes me many moons to finish a single bottle of a gentle highland malt. To be honest, if I start the night off with unpeated scotch, I have no issues moving on to bourbon after that, either. Cuz I'm fancy.

I decided the Lagavulin 12 was a little TOO tasty for my own good, so I backed off and am finishing up the night with a Kilchoman Machir Bay 2012. Admittedly, this compares pretty poorly, but it is a very good malt for its age. Really looking forward to the future offerings of this distillery. Not sure I'll partake of the forthcoming 8 year offering, but I'm definitely excited for the 10 year in 2016!

I decided the Lagavulin 12 was a little TOO tasty for my own good, so I backed off and am finishing up the night with a Kilchoman Machir Bay 2012. Admittedly, this compares pretty poorly, but it is a very good malt for its age. Really looking forward to the future offerings of this distillery. Not sure I'll partake of the forthcoming 8 year offering, but I'm definitely excited for the 10 year in 2016!

Man, sounds like you and I share a palate! I love Kilchoman and think the sky is the limit for these guys. Anthony Mills is such a nice guy and has something great going. Glad to see his son is picking up in his place and making the rounds now. Their distillate is so clean and pure right off the still they have a huge head start against the rest of the field. Good juice in, GREAT juice out I would say.

I tried Kavalan Ex-Bourbon the other night. It was amazing. It reminded me a lot of Nikka Coffey Grain Whisky, probably because of their common bourbon-barrel influence. And because both have a delicate but powerful construction -- you can taste all the different parts, but it works together as a whole.

[Full disclosure: I tried it at a dinner for Kavalan's blender, Ian Chang, put on by Anchor to announce the whisky's entry into the US market. Obviously, they brought their A game, and I can't promise the atmosphere didn't sway me. Still -- this was nice stuff.]

I have a bottle of Kavalan Solist Sherry open and it's really good stuff - thanks for your impressions on the ExBourbon! Did you get to try any others? I'm particularly interested in the Fino.

Well, while watching the Grizzlies, OldParr 12 w/ a splash of Ardbeg10 (delightful combo), HP 12, Ardbog, and now some Lag16. Who knows what comes next? Maybe some Laphroaig10CS or some McCarthy's malt. Once you go peat, there's no going back. Laddie Peat now

Edited by Memphis

I have a bottle of Kavalan Solist Sherry open and it's really good stuff - thanks for your impressions on the ExBourbon! Did you get to try any others? I'm particularly interested in the Fino.

Indeed I did. We also had Conductor, Vinho and Fino. All were great, but the Fino was out of this world. The sherry notes absolutely dominate, and overall it tasted more like cognac than whisky.

Thanks again - I've been eyeing that Fino for some time but it's expensive even in Taiwan. The Solist Sherry is about $100 USD at duty free in Taipei so that one was much easier to open the wallet for ;)

Indeed I did. We also had Conductor, Vinho and Fino. All were great, but the Fino was out of this world. The sherry notes absolutely dominate, and overall it tasted more like cognac than whisky.
Thanks again - I've been eyeing that Fino for some time but it's expensive even in Taiwan. The Solist Sherry is about $100 USD at duty free in Taipei so that one was much easier to open the wallet for ;)

The Kavalan line and Fino in particular sounded intriguing but my oh my is it spendy. K&L is estimating it at $360 a bottle!

What is the second choice...

The Kavalan line and Fino in particular sounded intriguing but my oh my is it spendy. K&L is estimating it at $360 a bottle!

Yeah... If I get one, it'll be via Taiwan (much cheaper that route). I haven't had the others except for the Solist Sherry & that's tasty.

Yeah... If I get one, it'll be via Taiwan (much cheaper that route). I haven't had the others except for the Solist Sherry & that's tasty.

I guess I need to take a trip to Taiwan! Unfortunately that isn't likely anytime soon.

I had the Solist Sherry at WhiskyFest Chicago last year and it stole the show for me. I've been looking forward to these coming stateside since then, but... definitely have a hard time pulling the trigger at $180.

Powers John Lane on what I hope is the last rainy night in Georgia for a while. I have been in love with this whiskey since the first time I tasted it a couple of Gazebos ago. Tonight is a confirmation of that love. I'm totally diggin' the whiskey coming out of the Irish distilleries.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!