What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Springbank 18 and a Glenfarclas 25 at St. Andrew's Pub in NYC. First time I've had either dram, and both were very enjoyable. I wasn't in a tasting mood, but remember the Glenfarclas as very well-balanced, fruity, nuts, and a bit of chocolate on the finish. Very comforting. The Springbank was oil & smoke, and at 92 pf (I believe), was the perfect dram for the buckets of rain falling on the city the last couple of days.

Bourbon wasn't tasting good tonight, so I returned to Lagavulin 12 '12. One sip has my tastebuds singing with peat, saline, and malty chocolate. It's smelling a bit off though, so maybe my nose is on the fritz.

On an unusually cool night here for the last day of April, two old & reliable friends have joined me for some NHL playoff game 7s: Talisker 10 & Lagavulin 16

It was a rather nice, warm day today in Seattle (80+ temp) so I spent the evening with a friend sipping some Washington rye. I know thats not a foreign whiskey but I did finish the evening off with a Westland American Single Malt. Also not a foreign whiskey but decidedly not a bourbon... not sure where it fits. Either way it was a lovely dram with a bit of chocolate in the finish. Can't wait until they have another few years of maturity under their belt (current releases are 26 months old) and start releasing single barrel, cask strength versions aged in sherry butts. Those are going to be delicious!

Clase Azul Reposado as I prep for our Cinco de Mayo party on Saturday.

Clase Azul Reposado as I prep for our Cinco de Mayo party on Saturday.

Happy May Day! ;)

Peat Monster 10th while finishing the 6th season of Mad Men

A splash of Laphroaig 15 two nights ago to celebrate the Pacers game 6 win on the road!

A splash of Laphroaig 15

I wish I would have bunkered some of those Laphroaig 15's a few years ago, my favorite scotch.

A bit of Nikka Miyagikyo 12yo and Yoichi 15yo at the spirits "library" at the Party Source today. Had tried to get a bottle of the Miyagikyo but they had sold out. So now I am hoping a friend traveling to London can find the 15yo version for me along with a Nikka by the Barrel.

I wish I would have bunkered some of those Laphroaig 15's a few years ago, my favorite scotch.

I have one open and one bunkered. It's easy to see why it is a favorite of the Duke of Windsor.

Aberlour A'bunadh batch 39. Still getting my feet wet in the single malt world, but like the cask strength sherried profile-along w the Glenfarclas 105 I have open.

Laguvilin 16 and 12. Really enjoying the 16 but kind of disappointed with the 12. It's the 2013 version and the color between the two is night and day. Hopefully a Highland Park 30 will erase that disappointment!

Laguvilin 16 and 12. Really enjoying the 16 but kind of disappointed with the 12. It's the 2013 version and the color between the two is night and day. Hopefully a Highland Park 30 will erase that disappointment!

Color? Whatever color it is, that's exactly the color Diageo wants it to be. Add some caramel food coloring to the 12 if it's not dark enough for you.

Anyway, I've only drank through one bottle of each, but my preference runs opposite yours.

Had a wee dram of Cutty Sark Prohibition last night. I forgot how good that stuff is, especially for the price, so much toffee on the nose and palate. I will definitely be replacing that bottle once it's empty.

Just loving what Compass Box does. Diving into the Flaming Heart, tonight. Amazing how the profile evolves...peat, then salted caramel, then honey, and finally a tinge of smokiness. This is just more gorgeous whiskey from CB.

Have mainly drank bourbon lately but had some Glenfiddich Age of Discovery and Glenmorangie Companta last week.

Just loving what Compass Box does. Diving into the Flaming Heart, tonight. Amazing how the profile evolves...peat, then salted caramel, then honey, and finally a tinge of smokiness. This is just more gorgeous whiskey from CB.

Just curious: which version you're drinking?

Had a nip of Hakushu 12. This is a really composed, even keeled whisky. All the sharp edges seem to be rounded off, which I assume is related to their 3 part blending process. It somehow manages to seem older and younger than 12 years. Just another example of outstanding Japanese single malt at a semi-reasonable price, no big deal.

Joe got me drooling so I opened up the Flaming Heart 2012 last night too.

I agree! That stuff is irresistible. Have you had the Great King Street New York Blend? Not as dynamic at the FH, but a real comfort pour: round and fatty, clean and dirty at the same time.

Great, now my wife is going to read this and call me a "comfort husband" :(

I love them both. Seriously. I drink the snot out of them every time one is cracked.

John Glaser is a master for sure. Have you had the Last Vatted Malt Joe? It's EPIC! Tom picked up a couple and is always kind enough to share some with me. He has to watch me though because I tend to get carried away with my pours on that one. :D Man it's so good!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!