What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was drawn in by the attractive bottle and it's reputation, but I just tossed that bottle in the trash after it's last pour and am left feeling the Hibiki 12 yr never measured up to either. A lot of coin for a mediocre whiskey. Can't say I "enjoyed" much of it.

Japanese blended whiky, as opposed to blended malts which can be better, seem to try to be too balanced if that is possible (and formulated to be served as a highball) and thus fail to really satisfy on their own to me.

Japanese blended whiky, as opposed to blended malts which can be better, seem to try to be too balanced if that is possible (and formulated to be served as a highball) and thus fail to really satisfy on their own to me.
Edited by garbanzobean

Dabbled in some Crown XO AND Crown Limited Edition tonight, at a buddy's house. Really surprised in how much I enjoyed them. The XO was without the overly caramelly notes of most Canadian whiskies, and drank more like a bourbon. Very nice. The LE had a distinct rye hit to it, and profiled in an MGPIish rye type vein. I absolutely loved that one. Also, enjoyed watching the Alouettes romp over the Stampeders 36-16...:D

Good night overall. I'll probably put away a bottle or two of Glendronach 12 at some point. I really enjoyed it.

Are you aware of the reported age of the GD12 depending on when it was bottled? I am not sure how much difference it makes but I like the 12 on its own anyway and put a few away of the 2013 bottling just for the heck of it!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19282[/ATTACH]

Ardbeg Auriverdes tonight. My friends beat the bottle up pretty hard, so I'm down to the last 20% or so. It has mellowed out significantly (in terms of hot spirit flavor, peatiness is still there), but the young flavors are absolutely present. I'm pretty comfortable calling it a C factoring in cost. Ignoring cost, I'd call it a B-.

Edited by garbanzobean

Met a buddy I haven't seen for the better part of a decade at Jack Rose. Ended up having one ounce tasting pours of Springbank 17 CS Refill Sherry, Arran Devil's Punchbowl Chaper II, and SMWSA 53.194 Caol Ila 17. The Springbank 17 was absolutely amazing. Tons of fresh fruit, and surprisingly strong peat. Brilliant dram, may buy this. Devil's Punchbowl II was really great, though overshadowed by the other two drams: honey, slight sherry, and a mild peat twang at the end. The Caol Ila 17 was up there with the Springbank: absolutely classic Caol Ila with some creme de menthe thrown in. I would recommend any of these to any whisky nerd.

It's a rough life guys.

I was drawn in by the attractive bottle and it's reputation, but I just tossed that bottle in the trash after it's last pour and am left feeling the Hibiki 12 yr never measured up to either. A lot of coin for a mediocre whiskey. Can't say I "enjoyed" much of it.

Serge would seem to agree with you. I haven't purchased a 12 in a long time - I happen to like the Taketsuru better (although the Hibiki 21 is a very fine pour)

Met a buddy I haven't seen for the better part of a decade at Jack Rose. Ended up having one ounce tasting pours of Springbank 17 CS Refill Sherry, Arran Devil's Punchbowl Chaper II, and SMWSA 53.194 Caol Ila 17. The Springbank 17 was absolutely amazing. Tons of fresh fruit, and surprisingly strong peat. Brilliant dram, may buy this. Devil's Punchbowl II was really great, though overshadowed by the other two drams: honey, slight sherry, and a mild peat twang at the end. The Caol Ila 17 was up there with the Springbank: absolutely classic Caol Ila with some creme de menthe thrown in. I would recommend any of these to any whisky nerd.

It's a rough life guys.

I guess I am starting to appreciate the "Dark Side" more and more. The same kind soul I mentioned earlier turned me on to Glenfiddich 15 DE and now I am enjoying my very own bottle. Thanks Kevin!!

I recently opened a bottle of The Tweeddale Batch #3. A really nice pre-fall dram, slightly smokey with a molasses thing going on. Will be drinking more of it tonight.

Compass Box tasting last night.

1. Hedonism

2. Spice Tree

3. Asyla

I would only want to buy #2 and #3 for the price because the difference wasn't big enough in quality for me between Hedonism and Spice Tree. A fun line to taste through though. They're doing some cool things.

Had KaVaLan Single Cask ex-Sherry Cask (2 different ones) and ex-Bourbon Cask last night. All really good! Also, had some old KaVaLan Vinho Barrique, Laphroaig 15, Private Glenfarclas 21 Single Cask, Laddie 16, PC6, Arran Devils Punchbowl Ch. 2, Glenlivet Guardians Chapter and Laphroaig Cairdeas 2014. Lots of good stuff.

I would only want to buy #2 and #3 for the price because the difference wasn't big enough in quality for me between Hedonism and Spice Tree. A fun line to taste through though. They're doing some cool things.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!