What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

How was it? I've been hunting for a taste of any Tun 1401, and kicking myself for passing on a batch 9 for $250 in January.

The 3 is the cat's pajamas. The 9 is no slouch either. I get sad every time that I see my bottle is decreasing.

Maybe you can fit me into your suitcase next time ;)

Looks like a great trip to me!

That's kind of what I was thinking. Wow!!!

SB 12yr Claret Finish

I absolutely LOVE this malt! The smoke and wine have a perfect marriage that just speaks to me. I really to get my hands on some more!

Was "treated" to some Clan MacGregor at my best friend's wedding over the weekend. By the time he remembered to tell me about the secret Lag 16 bottle behind the bar, it was pretty much empty.

Starting the evening with a Glenmorangie Companta

First pour, or has the bottle been open for a while? I found that it softened (good thing for me) after getting a bit of air.

First pour, or has the bottle been open for a while? I found that it softened (good thing for me) after getting a bit of air.

Killing a tension headache with some Indian magic: Amrut Fusion. I have recently been experimenting with different glass types when drinking sherried whiskies, and have found that I prefer some of them in a tumbler vs a glencairn or NEAT. Fusion is one of them. In a tumbler, the sherry flavor that can sometimes be acrid (to me at least) calm down to become delicious red fruits and peat. Loving it today.

Opened up a Kavalan Soloist Sherry Cask last night with some friends. Wow this stuff is good and it's as dark as Satan's heart.

Strathmill 21yr @ 51.7. With time and a little water, this one opens up and develops for quite some time.

Had a dram of Hakushu 12 last night after working on the house. I'm approaching the end of this bottle, and will be sad to see it go. It's really a nice whisky. Briny and medicinal, yet fruity with apples and pears in a way most islays aren't to me. There's also a mouth smacking rounded-ness to it that I notice in a lot of Japanese whiskies. I think some interpret that as being a bit over-engineered, but I really like it.

Anyway, great dram. Will be opening something from Nikka when this one goes the way of all things.

Had some Ardbeg Oogie for the first time tonight. In the competition of sherry finished peat, Laga DE kicks the crap out of Oogie IMO.

Last night it was a good Mac 12 sherry which isnt sold anymore where i live followed by a balvenie 12 doublewood that my friend brought.

That was quite sweet!

I really haven't been able to enjoy the Scott's Selection Highland Park 21 (1986-2007) I have been whining about for the past 3-4 months, so I have decided to start blending it with malts I like better. Tonight I'm doing a roughly 80/20 blend of aforementioned bland HP/Springbank 10. This is actually really delicious. The Springbank adds just the right amount of sherry cask flavor that this HP was missing, and keeps the peat levels roughly constant. Sherry, peat, delicious oily mouthfeel . . . yeah. I would say this is better than the sum of its parts, but the Springbank 10 is an amazing malt on its own. It's definitely improved the HP to a point that I look forward to drinking it, though. Didn't take much sacrifice on the part of my bottle of Springbank to really make the HP pop, though. Good day.

Well, I got stopped before I got to the Machir Bay by some lovely local single malts. However, I did still get my smokey fix as cask 279 does have some nice peat to it.

post-9128-14489821223977_thumb.jpg

Well, I got stopped before I got to the Machir Bay by some lovely local single malts. However, I did still get my smokey fix as cask 279 does have some nice peat to it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19000[/ATTACH]

http://youtu.be/0hiUuL5uTKc

Had some Ardbeg Oogie for the first time tonight. In the competition of sherry finished peat, Laga DE kicks the crap out of Oogie IMO.

Tried to finish off the last of that Scott's Selection Highland Park 21. Just wasn't happening. Turned it into a delicious Mamie Taylor instead! And with that, I have finished off a $185 mistake. Moving on to better things . . .

In other news, an EXTREMELY generous SBer who shall remain anonymous (unless he wishes to reveal himself) sent me some samples that will be needing my full attention this weekend.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!