whiskies that fail to list State of Distillation?

wadewood
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

After reading a blog yesterday (forgive me for not remembering whose) one thing that now stands out to me is why haven't any of the major distillers like JD, Diageo, BT, Beam, etc filed a fromal complaint with the government?

The majors are the ones supplying the bulk whiskey to the fakers. They probably see the fakers as competitors to the true craft distilleries, not to themselves.

The majors are the ones supplying the bulk whiskey to the fakers. They probably see the fakers as competitors to the true craft distilleries, not to themselves.

This is an excellent point. In that way, too, the majors (as suppliers) can profit from the "craft movement," and mitigate against competion from true craft distillers.

The majors are putting out a few of those no name labels themselves.

I believe they should do away with all the fictitious distilleries on all labels and list the true distillery, location and DSP.
As usual, I agree with Squire.

I believe they should do away with all the fictitious distilleries on all labels and list the true distillery, location and DSP.
Sounds like a petition on "We The People" might help raise awareness of the situation. The only question is if we can find 100,000 people willing to sign . . .

I agree 100%. It doesn't matter how many brands people invent, all the fancy packaging, and cute stories. Just put a state and DSP number somewhere on the bottle. It could even be like one of those stickers retailers put on single barrel selections.

I am not going to hold my breath waiting for this to happen. Think IRS, ATF, VA, ICE, etc, just name one federal govt agency that actually can perform up to min stds. If any of them actually had to perform for shareholders or private owners they would have been out of business decades ago.

Just to be clear, you're all calling for more federal government regulation. Really?

Not at all, Federal Courts construe specific regulatory provisions specifically.

100% agree with Squire. Is it too much to ask to just do the job they are supposed to do? Or should we be just satisfied that they follow some of the rules some of the time?

So Chuck, should we: do away with the rules for bottled in bond, allow caramel color added to bourbon, etc.? I'm all for transparency, that's all.

Even as a limited-government conservative, labeling requirements (and not just for bourbon) are regulations I can support. How else can a consumer make an educated decision?

I picked through the thread but didn't see "Tincup Whiskey" mentioned. Happened to see it on the shelf in Atlanta recently and as best I can tell it doesn't list where it was made. Sure as heck isn't likely to have been made in Denver where it says it was bottled. It only says "Product of USA" on the bottle as best I could find. No idea who did make it but I presume it to be another MGPI product.

I picked through the thread but didn't see "Tincup Whiskey" mentioned. Happened to see it on the shelf in Atlanta recently and as best I can tell it doesn't list where it was made. Sure as heck isn't likely to have been made in Denver where it says it was bottled. It only says "Product of USA" on the bottle as best I could find. No idea who did make it but I presume it to be another MGPI product.

Isn't that a Stranahan's product?

Isn't that a Stranahan's product?
Edited by tanstaafl2

That's correct though I don't think the producers mind the mix up regarding Stranahan.

It is "produced" by Jess Graber who started Stranahan's but to my knowledge is no longer affiliated with them after it sold. I suspect it is his new project using sourced whiskey most likely from MGPI.

As far I know Stranahan's is still only making a malted barley product and has never produced any other kind of whiskey. But I don't know all that far.

At least not until the satellites are up...

Even as a limited-government conservative, labeling requirements (and not just for bourbon) are regulations I can support. How else can a consumer make an educated decision?

Tin Cup would appear to be some kind of sop to Graber. After the sale, he agreed to hang around and be a spokesperson. That's what he told me at the time. This is a Proximo product, NDP, and his compensation is probably tied directly to sales.

This thread has been educational, enlightening, and entertaining and thanks to all who have participated. I'm in a Colorado and rumor has it Tin Cup is an MGP product cut with Rocky Mountain water. I personally don't care for it and feel it has tarnished the Stranahan's brand. I don't love Stranahan's, but generally respect what they do and how they do it.

According to Ben Landreth of, Denver Westword, Graber told him it (Tincup) is distilled in Indiana because it keeps the cost of the product down :lol::lol::lol:. But cutting it with Colorado water is important...I'm proud", he says "It's a real good whiskey. I wouldn't stand behind something that wasn't good."

http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/2014/02/tincup_colorado_indiana_stranahans.php

Edited by T Comp

Of course it's good for a $8.49 a bottle of whisky. MGPI makes very good ordinary grade whisky. But this is one of those 'let's design the package and make up a story first and figure out what whisky we'll use later' brands cooked up solely to cash in on Bourbon's current popularity.

Here it is at least under $30. Still too much (at least certainly more than I am interested in paying) for a NAS low proof MGPI whiskey that is likely very young but at least they aren't trying to peddle it for $50 plus.

But it doesn't say Indiana anywhere on the bottle that I could find.

• 2 weeks later...

If there is still any question about Tincup being distilled at MGP of Indiana, Jess Graber confirms it here.

• 2 weeks later...
I wrote a blog post about Templeton's bizarre defense of its labeling if anyone is interested.

http://atlepicurean.blogspot.com/2014/05/like-al-capone-templeton-rye-may-be-in.html

Nice work Dave. I also recently took Templeton to task, it starts about a quarter of the way down the page

http://thewhiskeyroom.blogspot.com/2014/06/florida-whiskey-tasting-part-2.html

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.