What "Other American Whisky" are you drinking?

ChainWhip

I haven't logged in in a minute, but still here in the garden state trying to retain what's left of my sanity 

IMG_20200527_210716849.jpg

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I haven't logged in in a minute, but still here in the garden state trying to retain what's left of my sanity 

IMG_20200527_210716849.jpg

Nice pic, Kevin.  I really love HW Campfire, because it’s just so damn weird.  But, it really works well beyond just throwing a bunch of seemingly dissimilar things in a bottle to be weird for weirdnesses sake.  Nothing else really like it.  Cheers to retaining, and regaining, your sanity!  When you figure it out, please share with the rest of us who could use a hand in finding our own... ?

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Nice pic, Kevin.  I really love HW Campfire, because it’s just so damn weird.  But, it really works well beyond just throwing a bunch of seemingly dissimilar things in a bottle to be weird for weirdnesses sake.  Nothing else really like it.  Cheers to retaining, and regaining, your sanity!  When you figure it out, please share with the rest of us who could use a hand in finding our own... ?

If I figure it out I'll let you know, hope all is well, agreed on Campfire have noticed batch variation but despite that it is consistently weirdly enjoyable. 

Edited by kevinbrink
  • I like it 1

On 5/27/2020 at 9:28 PM, kevinbrink said:

On 5/28/2020 at 8:15 AM, smokinjoe said:

Cheers to retaining, and regaining, your sanity!  When you figure it out, please share with the rest of us who could use a hand in finding our own... ?

On 5/28/2020 at 9:17 PM, kevinbrink said:

If I figure it out I'll let you know,

I found it easier to just let it go and be done with! Hasn't done me any harm...

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

I decided to open up a George Dickel (Specs) barrel pick from 2014, and man is it good. Such a caramel bomb. 
75CB5A3F-97D0-4A47-8A82-08EF57D20D0F.thumb.jpeg.b6fb160693d351e96fe74243c1c47e2d.jpeg

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tough day at the super market; lots of old farts running their carts into mine and GOING THE WRONG WAY down the aisles.  Now if they/we would stop leaving carts in the middle of the aisles while they/we wander off to find SOMEthing (what? I forgot!!).  Is why I had a shot and a beer before starting - so I wouldn’t care.

Tonight - a BIG pour of JAM basic MHC Batch 9 with three cubes.  This should last me through Mets at Nats, a Lewis, and Weather Channel for tomorrow’s AM forecast.

EDIT - re the shot and beer.  Wife drove.  Smelled it in the car. NOT pleased.  Made me eat several dried out Listerine strips.  I STILL didn’t care.  Thanks, Ezra.

Edited by Harry in WashDC

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Tough day at the super market; lots of old farts running their carts into mine and GOING THE WRONG WAY down the aisles.  Now if they/we would stop leaving carts in the middle of the aisles while they/we wander off to find SOMEthing (what? I forgot!!).  Is why I had a shot and a beer before starting - so I wouldn’t care.

Tonight - a BIG pour of JAM basic MHC Batch 9 with three cubes.  This should last me through Mets at Nats, a Lewis, and Weather Channel for tomorrow’s AM forecast.

EDIT - re the shot and beer.  Wife drove.  Smelled it in the car. NOT pleased.  Made me eat several dried out Listerine strips.  I STILL didn’t care.  Thanks, Ezra.

When you find an abandoned cart in a aisle it’s fun to move it to another aisle and/or add some bizarre food item to the cart.

You have to find some sort of new amusement these days....

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, PaulO said:

You could just use it for hand sanitizer instead - no joke.

The fill only made it that low because I ran some through a dirty coffee machine and the rest I used as surface cleaner.

Edited by Kane

16 hours ago, Kane said:

The fill only made it that low because I ran some through a dirty coffee machine and the rest I used as surface cleaner.

Wow. I still have a bottle of Death’s Door from one of their first batches. In the beginning, they aged their whiskey for a very short period. There’s a very slight tint to the liquid. 

• 2 weeks later...

That's interesting.  Label has "PRODUCT OF AMERICA".  We know it's from TN.  If it had been bottled here, label would read "U.S.A."  

Interesting. Almost certainly Dickel. I would be curious to know how much of the aging, if any, was in Scotland.

• 1 month later...
On 8/28/2020 at 4:17 PM, beasled said:

Killing this off. Been great from top to bottom!

20200828_221454.jpg

I’ve had great luck with Independent bourbon bottlings from Scotland— my favorite being a North Star Heaven Hill 9yo finished in an ex-Islay cask. I assume they’re looking for a completely different profile than the vague Stateside operators like Pegleg Porker et al. 

• I like it 1

On 10/10/2020 at 11:29 PM, Marekv8 said:

I’ve had great luck with Independent bourbon bottlings from Scotland— my favorite being a North Star Heaven Hill 9yo finished in an ex-Islay cask. I assume they’re looking for a completely different profile than the vague Stateside operators like Pegleg Porker et al. 

I've had some great picks and some rancid ones. It would be good if we could have a little more info on where the barrels were matured. Some of the poorer bottlings of US whiskey I've had have had a weird profile that suggests they spent most of their life in Scotland, and I assume the opposite for the better ones. 

1 hour ago, beasled said:

I've had some great picks and some rancid ones. It would be good if we could have a little more info on where the barrels were matured. Some of the poorer bottlings of US whiskey I've had have had a weird profile that suggests they spent most of their life in Scotland, and I assume the opposite for the better ones. 

It's probably the weird profile that attracts me to them-- bourbon can be rather predictable, to the point where I start to lose interest.

6 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

It's probably the weird profile that attracts me to them-- bourbon can be rather predictable, to the point where I start to lose interest.

Interesting. I'd like to try some Kentucky aged scotch one day though!

On 10/12/2020 at 4:42 PM, beasled said:

Interesting. I'd like to try some Kentucky aged scotch one day though!

It exist. But it has been quite some time since I saw one. Heaven Hill if I remember correctly! Which is not a given....

• I like it 1

On 10/16/2020 at 5:57 PM, beasled said:

Interesting read! What I meant was a barrel of scotch imported to Kentucky and aged there, the reverse of the American whiskeys we get from indie bottlers here. 

Pretty sure that has been done too. Although I don’t if imported malt has been aged in new charred casks like a bourbon.

• 4 weeks later...

Ordinarily not something I would buy.

However, after participating in a Stranahan’s tasting last year and having this single barrel sampled to me, I decided to purchase one.

It is full of caramel and quite enjoyable.

D511281A-E46A-4DBF-8C7D-809CBBAF7F04.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Cracked into this one today. 

Nose is sherry dominated, full of sweetness and fruit, with very little evidence of the 115.28 proof. 

Palate is also finish-influenced, along with oak notes.  I'm not picking up much contribution from the Kentucky Whiskey. 

Finish is a little hot, to remind one of the proof, but not uncomfortably so, leaving a lingering remnant of dark fruit.

Everything is pretty well integrated and different from anything else I can remember having.  So much is a product of the finish and so little from the base spirit.  Not sure it's worth a repeat buy at $99.  I will ponder that upon future revisitation.

Interesting to note that this is not designated as a "straight" whiskey.  Guessing that some young stuff is in the mix (NAS but billed as the largest component being 18-year old) and/or something funky went on with the distillation or barreling proof.  

Anyway, I'm glad for the chance to have tried this and to broaden my experience and understanding a little.

20201122_120536~2.jpg

Edited by bourbon-n00b
Picture posted twice
  • I like it 1

39 minutes ago, bourbon-n00b said:

Cracked into this one today. 

Nose is sherry dominated, full of sweetness and fruit, with very little evidence of the 115.28 proof. 

Palate is also finish-influenced, along with oak notes.  I'm not picking up much contribution from the Kentucky Whiskey. 

Finish is a little hot, to remind one of the proof, but not uncomfortably so, leaving a lingering remnant of dark fruit.

Everything is pretty well integrated and different from anything else I can remember having.  So much is a product of the finish and so little from the base spirit.  Not sure it's worth a repeat buy at $99.  I will ponder that upon future revisitation.

Interesting to note that this is not designated as a "straight" whiskey.  Guessing that some young stuff is in the mix (NAS but billed as the largest component being 18-year old) and/or something funky went on with the distillation or barreling proof.  

Anyway, I'm glad for the chance to have tried this and to broaden my experience and understanding a little.

20201122_120536~2.jpg

I'm guessing this whiskey was aged in used barrels prior to the sherry finishing barrels hence the "straight whiskey" designation.