What "Other American Whisky" are you drinking?

ChainWhip

19 hours ago, flahute said:

I'm guessing this whiskey was aged in used barrels prior to the sherry finishing barrels hence the "straight whiskey" designation.

But this is not labeled as "Straight".  Just "Kentucky Whiskey". 

21 minutes ago, bourbon-n00b said:

But this is not labeled as "Straight".  Just "Kentucky Whiskey". 

[slaps forehead]

But of course. My guess would be that there is a component in the blend that's less than four years old and you can't call it straight if something is less than four years and you don't mention it on the label. I think that's what you were also saying.

Maybe they used Early Times or something similar. If some of the whiskey is aged in used barrels it is neither bourbon nor straight. Just "whiskey".

on the label, they spelled it both "barrell" and "barrel"

"barrell" is a rare alternate spelling, but usually used for surname

Drinking some of my favorite non-bourbon whiskey tonight. I just picked this up in TX. (A store pick) Sooooo good.  
340C53BC-473F-4F83-AE3F-9A0E64F3B009.thumb.jpeg.be73979dcd0e6548056c94e3ea2f446a.jpeg

• I like it 3

15 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Drinking some of my favorite non-bourbon whiskey tonight. I just picked this up in TX. (A store pick) Sooooo good.  
340C53BC-473F-4F83-AE3F-9A0E64F3B009.thumb.jpeg.be73979dcd0e6548056c94e3ea2f446a.jpeg

The tater community is thankfully still sleeping on this one.

• I like it 3

13 hours ago, PaulO said:

They don't know it's really Bourbon.  Don't tell nobody.

Much of the tater community grew up drinking Jack and Coke so they think there is no way anything Jack Daniels can possibly be tater worthy. I think we are safe!

For the moment.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Much of the tater community grew up drinking Jack and Coke so they think there is no way anything Jack Daniels can possibly be tater worthy. I think we are safe!

For the moment.

This is an excellent point!

4 hours ago, flahute said:

This is an excellent point!

With the massive amount of barrels that JD has they could literally flood the market with unbelievable great single barrel barrel proof store pick juice and most people would still think “it just JD how good could it be.” I have helped pick about 4 of these barrels for SBBP picks and all the samples were very good (could have picked any of them). Always one just stands out a little bit more.... I guess that’s the case with most store pick. 

• I like it 6

• 2 weeks later...

I poured a sample of Santa Fe Spirits' Colkegan Single Malt Whiskey. I was skeptical, but find it enjoyable. It is young and tingly, but without the raw grassiness that ruined my limited experiences with other American malt whiskeys. Way too many Scotch single malts that outclass it within the same price range, but exceeded expectations.

On 12/17/2020 at 11:01 PM, dad-proof said:

Way too many Scotch single malts that outclass it within the same price range.

Kind of broadly describes the American “single malt” in a nut shell for me. With perhaps a few very limited exceptions. 

• I like it 1

image.thumb.jpeg.f766d43f4c8603911fe38660afefa750.jpeg
Fineness.

Similarities to the KC15 PS. A little more heat but not unpleasant. Same amount of oak. Zero vitamin. Like a more refined version of the BiB.  I wouldnt mind bunkering a few of these store picks. $59 for 15 yrs. 

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2020 at 9:34 PM, FasterHorses said:

image.thumb.jpeg.f766d43f4c8603911fe38660afefa750.jpeg
Fineness.

Similarities to the KC15 PS. A little more heat but not unpleasant. Same amount of oak. Zero vitamin. Like a more refined version of the BiB.  I wouldnt mind bunkering a few of these store picks. $59 for 15 yrs. 

The wife is in Tn visiting the grand younguns, and she will be bringing me 2 of these on her return.  Looking forward to them.  My son just loves it.  

• I like it 1

Cracked one of the Dickle 15 year single barrel, and I really enjoy it.  Nice longer finish that is full of all the stuff I like.  

• 4 weeks later...

Read recently that this one is going to be a Utah only release going forward and ran out to grab another one before they disappear completely.

Very nice bourbon-rye blend.

Enjoying it quite a bit!

CDAC9555-FAFD-450F-9EE4-CE578811DEF4.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Torn on where to post this, but either way proofed down a bit (pictured at around 51-54%) this JDSBBP is really enjoyable. And yes, dusting this room is my job and I am behind schedule (although I blame the contractors in the basement).

78076886_PXL_20210214_213223315.PORTRAIT(1).thumb.jpg.835de47ed8c7fbc2a4b033a904d6469e.jpg

Edited by dad-proof
  • I like it 1

I’m up in Louisville Kentucky today and tomorrow doing some barrel picks at Bulleit and Barton (1792), really cold up here. On the way up of course we stopped at some liquor stores. I bought a GD 15y and opened it last night. I’m not sure if this is a TN/KY only thing, but wow. Very good. I may have to stop and pick up another on the way back home. 
A75F0D6E-8660-4F7F-A931-E3F5D4D1A330.thumb.jpeg.14bc433a508cb9b844ddbf1a05e7e38f.jpeg

• I like it 3

On 12/5/2020 at 12:44 PM, flahute said:

The tater community is thankfully still sleeping on this one.

I hope the YouTuber's that have hyped up the BS Rye haven't turned people onto it too much... Those and 1920 need to stay on the shelves as long as possible 

On 2/16/2021 at 10:30 AM, dad-proof said:

Torn on where to post this, but either way proofed down a bit (pictured at around 51-54%) this JDSBBP is really enjoyable. And yes, dusting this room is my job and I am behind schedule (although I blame the contractors in the basement).

78076886_PXL_20210214_213223315.PORTRAIT(1).thumb.jpg.835de47ed8c7fbc2a4b033a904d6469e.jpg

Fingers crossed that the word doesn't get out on this one.  It's very, very good and South of $70.00.  

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

I'm currently (trying) to drink Dickel 15yr Single Barrel. I'm hoping that I just got an off barrel because it is in the running for worst non-Craft whiskey I've ever had. Lemon Pledge and bitter oak is all I get. It's one of the 42.2 proof offerings and I've heard that the higher proof barrels are better, and I hope that's true. I'm a huge fan of just about everything from Cascade Hollow, but this one is a real head scratcher. One positive, the nose is out of this world, but unfortunately, it's not air freshener of perfume. You eventually have to drink it, and Man is it bad.

6 hours ago, BDanner said:

I'm currently (trying) to drink Dickel 15yr Single Barrel. I'm hoping that I just got an off barrel because it is in the running for worst non-Craft whiskey I've ever had. Lemon Pledge and bitter oak is all I get. It's one of the 42.2 proof offerings and I've heard that the higher proof barrels are better, and I hope that's true. I'm a huge fan of just about everything from Cascade Hollow, but this one is a real head scratcher. One positive, the nose is out of this world, but unfortunately, it's not air freshener of perfume. You eventually have to drink it, and Man is it bad.

Yikes that does not sound good. I have to ask - is there any vitamin present?

14 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

JDSBBP 

I've never had one that I don't love.

20210402_180307.jpg

Me, too.  Of all the barrel proofs that I buy, these go from full to empty the most quickly.  Surprising, when I consider that they are not what I would call plentiful on the shelves in my area, nor are they necessarily inexpensive.  You’d think I’d be more judicious in my pours.  🤪But, even at $65+, it delivers quality enjoyment well above that price.  

• I like it 4