What "Other American Whisky" are you drinking?

ChainWhip

WhistlePig 15 YO Rye finished in Vermont oak 92 proof.  Dave signed the bottle.

• I like it 2

Doing some paperwork with a pour of a BHC era George Dickel 10 yr Special Barrel Reserve.  So much different from current Dickel in that there is no vitamin influence. But, it does have its own signature profile with a distinct black tea overtone, particularly mid-palate and through the finish.  Dryish and a bit thin.  Quite nice, but I prefer the newer iteration with the vitamin note overall, and also seems juicier and more viscous.

028ED980-5EB1-40CB-B494-06C7CF2DF10F.jpeg

• I like it 3

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 3:36 PM, smokinjoe said:

Doing some paperwork with a pour of a BHC era George Dickel 10 yr Special Barrel Reserve.  So much different from current Dickel in that there is no vitamin influence. But, it does have its own signature profile with a distinct black tea overtone, particularly mid-palate and through the finish.  Dryish and a bit thin.  Quite nice, but I prefer the newer iteration with the vitamin note overall, and also seems juicier and more viscous.

028ED980-5EB1-40CB-B494-06C7CF2DF10F.jpeg

Wowza that takes me back a few years... I remember getting one in about -'97 or so?

I see in the background an Old Fitz and Charter 13. Those I quite liked. I may still have some in the bunker somewhere... 

Just yesterday at my local the manager gave me a taste of a Barrell store pick. 14yo at 113 proof or so

It did have some of that vitamin note and was easily picked out as a Dickel-

Do you have an idea what has been the driver of that character? I don't remember it from some of my old bottlings of Dickel. FWIW I'm not a fan of that, and it has put me off buying in the last 5 years or more

A colleague brought to work a sample from the very early releases of Balcones True Blue cask strength. I've been craving this one for a while now. Now capping with a Mellow Corn.

• 4 weeks later...
Standard GD12 last night, unique and satisfying.

I was drinking the same...great minds think alike!
  • I like it 1

Dickel 12 is in my wheelhouse right now, especially when paired with a cigar. It brings out a spiciness that you don't get from it on its own. 

• 3 weeks later...

A local store has all of the Balcones on clearance for about $20 off. Anyone enjoy the Single Malt? They are all bottled in ‘13 & ‘14.

38 minutes ago, KyleCBreese said:

A local store has all of the Balcones on clearance for about $20 off. Anyone enjoy the Single Malt? They are all bottled in ‘13 & ‘14.

It's been a little while but I remember it being one of the better American Single Malts I have tried. 

38 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

It's been a little while but I remember it being one of the better American Single Malts I have tried. 

I’ll give it a shot the next time I stop there. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, KyleCBreese said:

I’ll give it a shot the next time I stop there. 

Pretty sure my favorite American Malt is St. George Baller, it might not be everyone's cup of tea but it is unique and I love it. 

• I like it 1

@KyleCBreese all of your Westland hype finally got to me, glad it did this is really tasty. Looked the cask up on their website and apparently it's 41 months in American Oak finished in First Fill Rum casks. It's not dethroning Baller but it's really very good. On a side note both this and the bottle of Westland Peated are really damn hard to open, is that normal?

y4mdXkYH4TRXSjYBX428VDSv82QILsTWijxqFlkT

13 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

@KyleCBreese all of your Westland hype finally got to me, glad it did this is really tasty. Looked the cask up on their website and apparently it's 41 months in American Oak finished in First Fill Rum casks. It's not dethroning Baller but it's really very good. On a side note both this and the bottle of Westland Peated are really damn hard to open, is that normal?

y4mdXkYH4TRXSjYBX428VDSv82QILsTWijxqFlkT

Yes, extremely hard to open. That’s a great pick though. Tons of chocolate and cinnamon. 

58 minutes ago, KyleCBreese said:

Yes, extremely hard to open. That’s a great pick though. Tons of chocolate and cinnamon. 

Yep, I can't think of a whiskey that screams chocolate more. 

On 10/19/2018 at 4:16 PM, kevinbrink said:

Pretty sure my favorite American Malt is St. George Baller, it might not be everyone's cup of tea but it is unique and I love it. 

Baller may well be the complete antithesis of Balcones, at least for me. Refined and subtle versus big and brash. Like them both but definitely prefer Baller. Wish it were a touch older though.

26 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Baller may well be the complete antithesis of Balcones, at least for me. Refined and subtle versus big and brash. Like them both but definitely prefer Baller. Wish it were a touch older though.

I'll say that there is something about Malt Whiskey that seems to perform better at 3ish years than Bourbon/Rye for me, between Baller, Westland and McCarthy's I have quite enjoyed 3 year old American single malt over the last week. 

What do you guys think of the St. George malt? Worth a shot? It's gotten pretty expensive after that Whiskey Advocate award a few years back.

Edit: I mean the non-Baller.

Edited by Kane

49 minutes ago, Kane said:

What do you guys think of the St. George malt? Worth a shot? It's gotten pretty expensive after that Whiskey Advocate award a few years back.

Edit: I mean the non-Baller.

I haven't had it since it was in the tall skinny bottle, which isn't helpful but is true. I might be tempted to pick one up if I saw it at this point. 

Another damn fine American Single Malt
y4mL4NpMjBqFArqbBXLA9HCX0Sn5kvFKHf_SXFuZAs5xsBZZOrdOxJVdTajliPCL7tjaL8RiTiGOG0WjNcOTf2mm0hu6q3zSynShuHHjCUjirhJ6qeOTMwSXVSdMrIrgMDkZQFzCF5kCdXCq0mFPtZNHUW5rH--2Oxw0uePRkpq33q7Ws2ixomIWnKUPyu2d1jK?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none

I totally agree!! I cracked open a bottle of the 2012 and I was blown away. I thought I was drinking a well made Whisky from Islay.
Wow!!!!
  • I like it 1

And the idiot of the year award goes to Kane, see exhibit A below. I have zero recollection of buying this bottle, but had a feeling something was off when posting the other day. So I dug into the stash... Lot SM014, the award winning bottle itself *facepalm*. Not opening tonight, but will report when I do.

IMG_20181024_193939.thumb.jpg.9bcf7cfb1250ace078ffe0389b5e4bc2.jpg

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

My JD loving BIL and I had healthy pours of some JDSB tonight. His first go around with a barrel proof JD and from his reaction, it won't be his last.

• I like it 1