Ec23?

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I did the search and the only post that came up was by nd2005 and he passed on a bottle for $350, obviously a wise move.

On to my question. One of my dealers is expecting a couple cases of this in the next week so has anyone tried it?

How does it compare to EC12 or ECSB? Anyone have a guess for a realistic retail price?

I'm curious about this too. Actually wonder if it's going to be the same thing as EC21. Ever look at the barrel dates on those? I have had 9 bottles and half say 1990, which means the 2013 bottling and release on those really could have been called EC23. Just being facetious. Sort of...

I thought this was coming out in August though. (So October or November for those of us in Texas.)

Edited by dcbt

You really can't compare the 12. But it will have a lot more wood that's for sure.

If the 21 was 140-150 retail, I'd expect this to be more... Probably 180

The Smokybeast site got to taste this at Whisky Jewbilee. Called it the tastiest at the show.

Actually, I just remembered that they were selling at the Evan Williams Experience and it was 300 I believe and the Evan Williams 23 export was 400

Someone asked Jimmy Russell (at a recent dinner I attended) about why WT didn't have any whiskeys that were over 20 years old. He responded "If I wanted to taste that, I'd go out and find a wooden stick out of a campfire and stick it in my mouth, because it tastes about the same."

I'm not saying I agree with him, but I do love his sense of humor.

A lot of people feel that way about aged bourbons. Jim Rutledge is another. He has said several times that he thinks most bourbons are best beneath 10 years. But he does admit that every now and again you get a special barrel that takes to aging well.

I have a high regard for Heaven Hill whisky but must agree with Mr. Russel's appraisement.

Mr. Rutledge knows whereof he speaks.

Edited by squire

I've tried the EW23, but not the EC. EW was okay...I prefer the EWBP at the Evan Williams Experience and Heritage Center over the EW23, though. The 23 is too old...too woody (in a water-logged canoe sort of way).

I heard that that the EC23 would be priced about $10 more than the EC21 was, which would mean somewhere around $150 here in Atlanta. Also that the EC18 would be available again sometime in 2015.

Well, according to HH's price logic: if the 21 was $150 retail and the 22 was $350 then the 23 would be.......$550?

Also, the 21's were 90-91 distillations. So I guess theoretically they could pull barrels (as it is a single barrel bourbon) from the same stock and now make a legal age statement of 23 years.

Well, according to HH's price logic: if the 21 was $150 retail and the 22 was $350 then the 23 would be.......$550?

Also, the 21's were 90-91 distillations. So I guess theoretically they could pull barrels (as it is a single barrel bourbon) from the same stock and now make a legal age statement of 23 years.

nevermind, meh..................

EC21 was one of my biggest bourbon disappointments yet. It's single barrel and my taste is just my taste, so take those grains of salt with that comment.

I like a lot of aged bourbon, so I'm not an oak hater. Just the EC didn't do it for me.

I paid something like 150, and that was the price of knowing on that one. I'd be happy to try a taste of someone else's different barrel to see if I could get into it, but I'm not ponying up for any more extra aged EC.

tbt

• 1 month later...

Anybody buy/try this yet? It's in my area for $200, which is way out of my range typically. I saw the BourbonTruth guy tweeted it "might be a bargain @ $200" though. It's at least piqued my interest.

It's on my wish list whenever it finally lands in Texas in a few months. I enjoy the EC21 (never had the 18, though.)

Can't really say as my tastes stop at about half that. A woman of 23 does pique my interests though.

A woman of 23 does pique my interests though.
Touche Typically this is an immediate pass. If I thought a local bar was getting a bottle I'd be okay with that. Plus, my gifted bottle of EC21 was skunked so I've wanted to give another batch a shot.

Actually, looks like they should be on the shelf at $199.99.

Unless I hear some crazy good things about this there's no way I'm ponying up at $200. The 21 disappointed me enough at $160.

I picked one up last week and opened it up to day. I'm not to impressed. Don't get me wrong it's a very good bourbon, (my main problem with it is it's a little hot on the finish not to smooth) but I was thinking it would be an excellent bourbon. The 21-year-old that I had was an excellent bourbon, but that's what you get with single barrel, some good, some very good, and some excellent. All in all I'm glad I was able to get one.

post-9285-14489821345328_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.