Ec23?

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

• 2 months later...

Anyone ever had the Elijah Craig 23? I saw a bottle, $220 if I remember correctly. I did a search on here and came up with nothing.

Anyone ever had the Elijah Craig 23? I saw a bottle, $220 if I remember correctly. I did a search on here and came up with nothing.

$220 wow, just wow.......

$220 wow, just wow.......

why is that crazy? if it said 'pappy' on it, people would fight their mothers over it at that price

why is that crazy? if it said 'pappy' on it, people would fight their mothers over it at that price

They may next year the way things are going.

I picked one up recently after getting to try it when the rep walked into a Wednesday tasting. I was pleasantly surprised with it. A bit light on proof after drinking mostly 100+ pf whiskey and definitely on the dry side but not so ashy as to be unpleasant. Had that slight varnish-y taste (not in a bad way but certainly a characteristic I pick up on many older whiskies) but otherwise was quite pleasant. Problem is that it is a single barrel of course and each can and often are different. Usually slightly different but sometimes very different. The one I tried and liked was barrel 28 I think. The barrel I have now is 50 something.

It also made it to the table at a GBS gathering a couple of weeks ago where at least a few people gave it a try but I didn't get a chance to ask people what they thought of it.

• 1 month later...

Thought I would give this thread a bump.

So now that HH put out a 23yr. old, where do you think they will go next?(with the EC line) Start over with the 18 (heard rumors that the 18 was out again .. but) and work back up again? Or put out older versions? Think we will ever see these released as a second edition? One would think so. Just wondering.

Yea, I've seen that rumor out there as well, that EC18 will reappear in 2015. I haven't read anything concrete, though I also would welcome it. I missed that one the first time around.

I really like HH products, especially EC12 and ECBP. I found EC18 to too woody. However, there is always a silver lining in the world of bourbon, especially with vatting. I found a 50/50 blend of EC12 and EC18 was awesome. Sort of like Goldilocks and the three bears. This bourbon is too sweet. This bourbon is too woody. This bourbon is just right. Goldilocks took a big swig and then fell asleep.

Yea, I've seen that rumor out there as well, that EC18 will reappear in 2015. I haven't read anything concrete, though I also would welcome it. I missed that one the first time around.

Rumors I have heard are that EC18 will come back, but at a much higher price point.

Rumors I have heard are that EC18 will come back, but at a much higher price point.

Shocking indeed... :smiley_acbt:

Although admittedly EC18 at or near the old price would be quite underpriced today in the current market.

EC12 price still about where it was, so hoping... Since they have capacity to produce volume, it may well be priced near where it used to be??? Fingers crossed. It would certainly blow the doors off competition now that folks will be looking to grab it. Though EC12 is slightly different now than pre-fire, the mckenna BIB profile seems similar to old EC18 so could be same. But then different might be good, too. Looking forward to it!!!

I had a chance to speak to Craig Beam at whiskeyfest SF, and he mentioned that there was not going to be anymore 23, and HH would release an 18 again. I suspect the next release of the 18 will be more expensive and won't be as good as the initial.

I do like the 23 though it has a bit of a bitter after taste that I am not find of. Some days it's there for me and others it's not...

EC12 price still about where it was, so hoping... Since they have capacity to produce volume, it may well be priced near where it used to be??? Fingers crossed. It would certainly blow the doors off competition now that folks will be looking to grab it. Though EC12 is slightly different now than pre-fire, the mckenna BIB profile seems similar to old EC18 so could be same. But then different might be good, too. Looking forward to it!!!

It would be nice to see a 15 yr. expression.

I have always thought so too! You see lot of other whiskey types (e.g., scotch and Irish) offered in 12-15-18 year old expressions.

After getting two bottles of the 21 year as gifts, both of which I didn't care for, I was apprehensive about the 23. My dad got me a bottle of the 23 for Christmas and I was all set to trade it, but decided to open it up to share a couple of pours with him on Christmas. Glad I did, I really enjoyed it. At least the bottle I have felt like it had more life to it then the two 21s. Huge vanilla, caramel, varnish, oak... Good stuff. Still wouldn't pay $250 for a bottle though.

My neighbor has barrel #6 of EC23. We had some last night, it was very good. I like this one, lots of sweetness and wood, very smooth.

• 4 weeks later...

Just picked up one of the EC 23 on the Pennsylvania website for $199. I liked the 21 and absolutely believe the 12 yr is one of the better bourbon bargains in the free world. Can't wait to give the 23 a good home.

• 5 weeks later...

Finally got to try me some EC23 last night, first impression, was low,great nose for sure, one of the better ones, however it was very oaky,(and I love oak,but this was different for some reason very hayish, and it dried up very quickly leaving you with almost no flavor at all. We took a trip with some other pours and then came back to it at the end of the night, I must say it changed(it was a full bottle)it's profile a lot, much more taste and still a great nose. BTW it was barrel #148.Have to try it again sometime down the road,maybe do a flight of the 18,20,21,23.

• 7 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.