Ec23?

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just for those looking, the Evan Williams Bourbon Experience had several bottles of both the 22 and 23 as recently as Sunday, in addition to the Evan Williams 23. Prices were astronomical (I want to say between $350 and $400, respectively).

Sitting with the 23 now. I was a fan of the 21 single barrel I got (and LOVE ECBP), but thought previous 18yo bottles were overly woody. Withholding judgment on this one until it settles down a bit (I often find that these older bottles take a bit of time to "get right")

Yesterday I get a call from one of my go to LS's and they say they have a EC23 if I want it, ok I'll take it @ $199.99 hang up the phone ...1/2 hour later another one calls me hey I got a EC23 for you, Ok I'll take it @ $189.99, Today not just 5 minutes ago, another call hey you interested in a EC23 @ $219.99... No thanks ,but do appreciate the phone call, man they are really push'n this stuff.Sure do like to get phone calls from LS's, it does pay to do some leg work every now and then.

So far after about four pours, I can say I do like this. I think I find that I like it as least as much or more than the EC 21 which I found to be quite good (SB dependent). Didn't do a SBS though.

This one taste as smooth but with more flavors and complexity. The wood to me is not over powering at all and almost in balance. Everything plays in a nice balance and easy nice pour with no off notes.

In comparison I had a pour of Rhetoric right after and I immediately find I like the EC 23 way better.

Is it worth it, I can't tell you, but for me I'm happy to be drinking it.

My dealer called me earlier this week and said she just got three bottles when she was only promised one so I didn't have to rush over there. Went by on the way home last night and she had one left ..... @ $239.99!!!!

Now I can afford it but I just thanked her and passed. Bought a bottle of RITTBIB & Jameson with a smile on my face.

If anyone lives in the Atlanta area, I saw one bottle in peachtree city at ptc world of beverage. $199. This was on Saturday.

My thoughts... you've gotta want an "old bourbon" experience to seek this out. There's a detectable "aged-ness" to the 23yo vs the 21 that for me takes it down a notch in enjoyability, mainly in a dried out woody kind of way - though I wouldn't call this overly woody. And while I'm hesitant to call it excellent, the nose certainly merits that description once you've had the bottle open for a few days to settle in. If you want to experience an older bourbon, and have $200 to burn, this is worth pursuing. But it is not Pappy 23 level by any stretch (dang, I hate holding Pappy up as a benchmark). My favorite Elijah is the 12 year old barrel proof, which, even at the going rate of $60 or so is one of the best values in bourbon today IMO.

Oh, and full post at http://www.thirstysouth.com/2014/09/10/elijah-craig-23-single-barrel-review/

My thoughts... you've gotta want an "old bourbon" experience to seek this out. There's a detectable "aged-ness" to the 23yo vs the 21 that for me takes it down a notch in enjoyability, mainly in a dried out woody kind of way - though I wouldn't call this overly woody. And while I'm hesitant to call it excellent, the nose certainly merits that description once you've had the bottle open for a few days to settle in. If you want to experience an older bourbon, and have $200 to burn, this is worth pursuing. But it is not Pappy 23 level by any stretch (dang, I hate holding Pappy up as a benchmark). My favorite Elijah is the 12 year old barrel proof, which, even at the going rate of $60 or so is one of the best values in bourbon today IMO.

Oh, and full post at http://www.thirstysouth.com/2014/09/10/elijah-craig-23-single-barrel-review/

This seems to mirror my thoughts on EC21. Too pitchy and resiny with a dried wood thing going on. I totally agree that ECBP is an amazing offering that's easily worth $60.

Another vote for ECBP, in theory anyway, I probably won't actually come across one unless I attend the Sampler next Spring.

Another vote for ECBP, in theory anyway, I probably won't actually come across one unless I attend the Sampler next Spring.
Are you in need of a bottle? I'd be happy to keep an eye out for you. It's a little hot when you first open the bottle, but it really is an amazing pour. I'd pay upwards of $50-$60 a bottle if it were available year round ala OGD 114 (Don't tell Heaven Hill or Beam Suntory).

Edit: As far as the topic goes, I don't see myself buying this. As I've said before, I enjoy older bourbon in the educational sense, but it's mostly an aside for me. Really old bourbon is similar to really young bourbon: You enjoy it as long as you are willing to overlook some glaringly obvious flaws.

Edited by garbanzobean

Just saw another bottle of this at my other dealer and it was only $219.99. I may spring for it afterall if more of you give it great tasting notes.

Then again I may not.

I'm not likely to either see or buy this, but I'm curious about the barrel dates - can anyone say what they have or have seen? It seems they've been pulling barrels from 1990 for years now - I even have EC18 from that year (which was released after some 1992 EC18s).

Edited by MauiSon

Was offered a bottle today...only $200. I can't bring myself to spring for it.

With me it's seeing that 90 proof on the label.

I'm not likely to either see or buy this, but I'm curious about the barrel dates - can anyone say what they have or have seen? It seems they've been pulling barrels from 1990 for years now - I even have EC18 from that year (which was released after some 1992 EC18s).

Funny. I bought a bottle of EC23 yesterday (barrel #33 barreled on 11/16/89) and came here to ask about the "barreled on" date. Based on date on the bottle, it's a 24 year old whiskey, almost 25.

Is it possible that it was bottled a 2012 and just recently put into market? Is "23" year aged bourbon more marketable than "24" or "25"? Maybe there are plans to release a 26 and HH need a longer age statement gap between releases. What gives?

Funny. I bought a bottle of EC23 yesterday (barrel #33 barreled on 11/16/89) and came here to ask about the "barreled on" date. Based on date on the bottle, it's a 24 year old whiskey, almost 25.

Is it possible that it was bottled a 2012 and just recently put into market? Is "23" year aged bourbon more marketable than "24" or "25"? Maybe there are plans to release a 26 and HH need a longer age statement gap between releases. What gives?

I'm suspecting they're playing on the collector tendency to want at least one of every release. By inching up one every year, even if the whiskey is older, they generate sequential collector sales. It'd be interesting to find out why they held on to this stock for so long - was it just slow-aging, slow-moving, higher production at that time due to lower input costs or something else altogether. Maybe Chuck could delve into this one.

Edited by MauiSon

Unsold stock accumulating was a common problem with distillers 25-30 years ago. They had to keep production going or employees would lose their jobs so slower aging barrels were bypassed in the normal course of things and just kept getting older.

The bottles I have seen (on the regular shelf which suggests sales are slow at $200) were barreled 11/89 as well. No idea about when they were bottled.

This is one that I have passed up so far. One of my first finds when I started collecting was an 18 EC for $50. Didn't know what a bargain that was at the time. I was not expecting the price to jump so significantly from the 21.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.