Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

Guy Debord
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Never thought I'd be saying this.... "I'll be sitting out the new release of OFBB." 

At $80, I'm just not diving in.    The last few releases have been more or less underwhelming.    When I add to that the rapidly increasing price, I wind up with a situation where the risk just isn't worth the reward any longer.    I may change my mind (but I doubt it), if I manage a taste somewhere along the way and my hair is blown back by it.   Too bad.   So long old friend.......

Easy pass for me - haven't bought or looked for one in years.  Now if they want to throw a barrel proof OF offering out there as a "limited edition", I'd be in.  But the cost/value hasn't lined up for me on this one in a few years (plus, I really really don't like the bottle - takes up too much real estate in my cabinet!)

3 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Never thought I'd be saying this.... "I'll be sitting out the new release of OFBB." 

At $80, I'm just not diving in.    The last few releases have been more or less underwhelming.    When I add to that the rapidly increasing price, I wind up with a situation where the risk just isn't worth the reward any longer.    I may change my mind (but I doubt it), if I manage a taste somewhere along the way and my hair is blown back by it.   Too bad.   So long old friend.......

That's what it's up to now?  Nevermind then.  I knew it had gone up in price over the years (having paid $34.99 for OFBB13), but that's a little much.  I could stomach maybe $60 if that meant I could walk into a store and buy it without any trouble, but $80 is LOL territory.  Guess I'll have to settle for OFSig, or maybe try one of the "limited" OF releases with the dates on them that correspond to something or other.

Edited by garbanzobean

I've never had it and want to try it, so probably would pay retail for the personal novelty factor. Add to it that September 2 is my deceased mom's birthday and I'll be looking for it this year. But that's me.

10 hours ago, BigRich said:

I'm feeling like this one has finally jumped the shark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly I don't think LE bourbons will truly jump the shark until MSRP starts cutting into on premise profits and/or quality falls so low that folks won't buy it.  Neither seems at hand.

This is the one LE that I've had no problem finding for the past few years and have been pleased with them so far. However, at that MSRP the markup around here will probably push it close to $100 and that will definitely make it a pass for me, easy to find or not. :angry:

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 9:21 AM, garbanzobean said:

or maybe try one of the "limited" OF releases with the dates on them that correspond to something or other.

I think you are referring to the "Whiskey Row" series but they aren't really limited releases.  I really like the 1897 bonded bourbon for roughly $50.  You should check it out.

4 hours ago, Kepler said:

I think you are referring to the "Whiskey Row" series but they aren't really limited releases.  I really like the 1897 bonded bourbon for roughly $50.  You should check it out.

That's great to hear.  I love Old Forester distillate but had avoided trying the new releases due to the mixed reviews.  I'll have to give them a shot soon.

10 hours ago, Kepler said:

I think the third and final version will be hitting shelves in September ("1920 Prohibition Style") but I don't know think it is out yet, at least not locally. The series has been OK but not really all that much different from OF signature except that this one is supposed to be 115 proof. Oh, and at least twice as much as OF. I seem to recall MSRP for this last one is even more expensive.

Yep, $60 MSRP according to WA.

I guess that is getting to be the going rate for anything the least bit "special".

I'm thinking I'll try the MoCo single barrel first.  God help me, I have a real soft spot for Old Forester.  I know some of the more prominent reviewers seem to loathe their distillate, but I like it.  

I like the old forester products myself. I did get the moco single barrel. To me I think it is fine but not worth the price increase over the signature. Cool bottle though.

I just finished the last of an '13 bottle. Good to the last drop, and no I never did get tired of it :D

• 3 weeks later...

Scored a bottle of 2016 this weekend. $94 so I'm not sure I'll ever buy another but I've never had it so I felt compelled!

6 hours ago, JTaylor said:

Scored a bottle of 2016 this weekend. $94 so I'm not sure I'll ever buy another but I've never had it so I felt compelled!

OUCH!!!!!    Past editions have been ''good to great'' for the most part, with the recent trend leaning toward only good, not so much great in the last few years, particularly for the prices, which have gone steadily upward.   I won't be a buyer at 90-anything, or even 80-anything... hell not even for 70-anything; given the quality trend.    I hope you find it stellar after coughing up this kind of cheddar.    Pleas, let us know what you think of it in this thread.

I will be sure to post in October when I open it. I have to wait for my cousin to visit from Lexington, he and I have fairly regular tastings and always wait to try new ones together. He's bringing  me a couple bottles of WLW 12 since I can't find it up here so I'm pretty excited about this one. Can't wait to SBS the 12 and OWA!

I've been a fan of Birthday Bourbon the past couple years even though it was considered by most to be inferior to past editions. It just hits a sweet spot on my palate that really works for me. I've been fortunate to find multiples of both the '14 and '15 for reasonable prices ($40-$60 depending on the year and store).

Unfortunately, though it's not here yet, it shows in the Total Wine system that it's going to cost $100 this year. At that price, I'm out. Even though I like it better than most these days, I can't see paying that unless it absolutely blows the doors off me. It seems that every year, a new level of absurdity is passed. This year is shaping up to be no different.

I've had most of the releases over the years and '13 and '15 are two of the best IMHO.   The '13 trails only '05 for me.  My problem with OFBB is that it's way more inconsistent than other special releases.  There have been some years (like '09 for me) that are just bad.  I can take O.K. on a off year for a special release, but I really don't want to pay $80 and get a bad bourbon.  

The early reviews have been very favorable.  For an "always wanted to try it" once in a lifetime kind of buy, this is probably a decent one to get.  I'm actually looking out for one for a friend who has twins due at the end of the year, but won't keep any for myself.  As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I've had my fun with LEs.

Edited by garbanzobean

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I've had my fun with LEs.

That completely sums up how I've been feeling. It's not that I would likely buy if I had the opportunity, but the market has changed so much, its just not happening anymore.

But I do look forward to the future, as I believe history will repeat, and it will fall out of the limelight and opportunities will present themselves again.

B

Sent from my iPhone

1 hour ago, BFerguson said:

That completely sums up how I've been feeling. It's not that I would likely buy if I had the opportunity, but the market has changed so much, its just not happening anymore.

But I do look forward to the future, as I believe history will repeat, and it will fall out of the limelight and opportunities will present themselves again.

B

Sent from my iPhone

Hmmmmm.   A 'glass half full' kind of outlook, eh?   Half Full Of BOURBON!!!!     Now that's what I call an optimistic outlook.

Interested in hearing some 2016 vs past release reviews on here from someone who has cracked one already. 

Still waiting for it to show up here, and I need to decide how bad I want to hunt one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2016 at 5:08 PM, BourbonJoe said:

I had two pours at the Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville. I thought it was fabulous.

Agreed.  Wife is having a "girls only" evening at the fire pit this weekend, and wanted to share the 2016 OFBB with them.  I said ok but insisted on sampling to be sure it was "OK".  Nice, very very nice.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 5:08 PM, BourbonJoe said:

I had two pours at the Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville. I thought it was fabulous.

Found a bottle of 2016 at $83 & your review convinced me to pull the trigger. (as if I really needed convincing)

My wallet does not thank you :D but I hope my taste buds will.

...and the label is actually orange, not red.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.