Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

Guy Debord
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

FWIW I think the 2014 is a perfectly fine pour. I don't get any of the off notes that some people have found in it, but it's not a mind-blowing experience or anything.

If you're a fan of the Old Forester house style, I think it's worth picking up around MSRP, though I wouldn't hunt too hard for it.

I'm in this camp. Love it all day long at MSRP, but wouldn't chase it at secondary prices.

2013 was a great year for OFBB. I think the quality declined in 2014 but everyone has different tastes. I'll try 2015 if (big if) I find one. Always a buy for me despite the rising price - I've had every year since 2008 with the exception of 2009. Never was able to find that one.

2013 was a great year for OFBB. I think the quality declined in 2014 but everyone has different tastes. I'll try 2015 if (big if) I find one. Always a buy for me despite the rising price - I've had every year since 2008 with the exception of 2009. Never was able to find that one.

I know most people love the '13 but that was one of the worst bourbons i've ever had. Still not undrinkable (only herman marshall fits that mold), but because of that I never bother chasing any others. (never had any other vintage of the series.)

I should add I think I just don't like the OF profile. Tasted a few last night actually, the 90 proof and 100 proof, and both had a weird taste to me.

I know most people love the '13 but that was one of the worst bourbons i've ever had. Still not undrinkable (only herman marshall fits that mold), but because of that I never bother chasing any others. (never had any other vintage of the series.)

I should add I think I just don't like the OF profile. Tasted a few last night actually, the 90 proof and 100 proof, and both had a weird taste to me.

Yeah, if you don't like Old Forester, I would imagine you probably wouldn't like older Old Forester either.

• 2 months later...

2015 OF Birthday Bourbon, according to this post from Fred Minnick and probably others by now, is supposedly going to retail for $70-80. So that is about a 100% increase since the 2012 version. Another sign of the times but might be one I take a pass on this year.

Probably won't if it is offered to me. But I might! :rolleyes:

That's a big jump in price. And the quality seemed to go the other direction, considering last year's release anyway.

Maybe this will be a bounce-back year.

Yeah, I'm a fan of the Old Forester line of bourbons and have enjoyed numerous Birthday Bourbon releases but I don't know if I can justify spending that much more on a bourbon that I simply don't always feel is outstanding. I didn't have last year's release but haven't heard many good comments, so will be hesitant to jump on this year's at that price if I run across it.

I for one am happy to see prices on LEs going up. It doesn't make my wallet happy, but if it cools some of the stupidity going on right now, I'm OK with it.

Yeah, if you don't like Old Forester, I would imagine you probably wouldn't like older Old Forester either.

I like Old Forester signature a lot, and I like dusty Forester in both 100 and 86 proof versions, but I find 2014 OFBB unappealing (I taste acetone). I will not be buying a 2015 BB. No right or wrong on taste preferences, but I did want to observe that it is possible to not like BB but to like other versions. (This is also why I have not bought any of the "original batch" or "bottled in bond" special releases -- I suspect I will not like them as much as the Signature and am not willing to risk $50 per bottle to find out.)

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that OFBB is seeing a big price increase in the current market, but BTAC prices? Really? It's not BTAC good. I got lucky and was able to stock up on last year's, which I like, but I don't see myself going crazy for it at this price. I'll have the benefit of seeing all the reviews before it reaches us so I won't have to buy one out of fear of missing out.

I think I'll pass this year. I really enjoyed the 2013 but man, the 2014 was disappointing to me. If this were in the $40-50 range I'd take a gamble but just not interested at $80

Yep - I've been off the OFBB train a couple years now. When I first got in (2011?), for the money it was definitely worth it - and I'd even say undervalued. And I don't begrudge them trying to make hay while the sun shines, but it feels like a constant assault - every year just a couple bucks more. And it is one of the more variable LEs out there - some years I've loved it, others I thought it was just OK.

To Mark's point - if it curbs the flippers, that may be a good thing. But just plenty of bourbon I like as much (if not more) for a whole lot less money.

OFBB was never that great in the first place but the meh chorus I hear increasingly on this one has to be fit for the 'signs the bubble is bursting' thread.

I think it's a stretch to say that OFBB was never great in the first place. Each release is designed and selected to be a different take on OF whiskey, and thus will be different things to different palates. Some have been outstanding and universally praised, like the 02, 06, and 13. Some, not so much, like the 09. But, different strokes for different folks...and nothing more could be expected from a release like this.

As far as the price is concerned, it's really not out of line as compared to other limiteds. I think what we're seeing with some of the comments on this price is that with all of the releases that will be coming out this Fall, and really everything, we may be getting to the point that the aggregate spend to buy them all is getting to an area where it starts to make an uncomfortable dent in the wallets of a larger percentage of us. How many of us are thinking to ourselves, "Dang, I hope that phone doesn't ring offering me everything on my wish list I gave my monger...:lol:

Great point Joe on the variability being intentional. And I agree that compared to other limited editions, it isn't priced out of line. But personally, I can't recall finding any of them (even some of the years I really enjoyed) to be on par with any FRSmBLE or BTAC I've picked up. And the bottle is too damned wide :lol: I think that might be my biggest challenge (I mean - it takes up the space of two other bottles in the cabinet!!)

my new theory about their essentially doubling the price over a short time is: this bourbon was intended to sit around and gather dust several years deep on store shelves while imbuing the regular OF with a somewhat more interesting image. the crazily squat and inefficient, exotic rum style bottle was specifically meant to discourage us practical bourbon drinking folk from actually buying the stuff. once the boom took hold and OFBB was suddenly purchased, a bewildered BF took action in an attempt to ensure that it will once more fulfill its role and sit comfortably where it belongs.

Despite the big price hike, this is still one bottle I would like to acquire because of this being m daughters birth year.

From the "For Whatever it's Worth" department...

The OFBB has always been on the high side of the price scale. Most of the 02's (first release) and subsequent releases that I have purchased and seen were over $30. $30 in 2002 was a huge number for a bourbon. For much of that time, I looked at this whiskey as stretching my comfort zone on what I would pay for any whiskey, even though I found it to be really good. Kind of hung at that pricing level for over a decade. Now, apparently playing catch up.

Some have been outstanding and universally praised, like the 02, 06, and 13. Some, not so much, like the 09.

At the risk of beating a dead horse......am I still the only one who liked the '09? :grin:

At the risk of beating a dead horse......am I still the only one who liked the '09? :grin:

Nope. I had a bottle of the '09 and thought it was pretty darn good.

Not so long as I'm around! While it is no longer my favorite example of an OFBB, I liked it so much that I puzzled over a review giving it a very low score. As that review called it a big, bold, bully of a bourbon I concluded that must be something I'm into and appropriated the phrase when it came time to choose a screen name.

Despite the big price hike, this is still one bottle I would like to acquire because of this being m daughters birth year.

I have the 2011 and 2014 for each of my boys. I get to break out the 2011 this Thursday.

I have the 2011 and 2014 for each of my boys. I get to break out the 2011 this Thursday.

I have the 2012 for my oldest daughter.

OFBB jumping from in the $40s around here in 2012 to $80+ is getting a little ridiculous........but I'll probably pick up one or two if I'm lucky.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.