Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

Guy Debord
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My wife found a bottle for me at a random store on the other side of town. The woman behind the counter called her husband to see if it was being held for someone but she couldn't reach him. I lucked out - with the bourbon and having a great wife!

Managed to snag a bottle today, looking forward to trying a pour tonight. The price is a real turn off now, but considering I've always like the other vintages, and this is likely the only limited release I'll sniff this year, I figured why not. I'll report back with some tasting notes.

Edited by Crowes

Picked up a bottle today as well. Hope to do a SBS with last years bottling.

I suppose I should add in the 2015 and redo the tasting from back in December 2014!

tanstaafl2. Cracked open the '15 OFBB last night. This stuff reminds me so much of EC12 except I got more vanilla, caramel, and nuttiness on the nose and definitely more spice on the finish compared to EC12. Very enjoyable.

Looking forward to seeing your SBS.

Any thoughts on this yet? I got a call about it this morning. I passed last year but have seen some favorable thoughts on the current bottling.

Any thoughts on this yet? I got a call about it this morning. I passed last year but have seen some favorable thoughts on the current bottling.

i like it. Reminds me of Elijah Craig with nuttiness.

Just a quick question to those that know more about OFBB. Is it possible to put together a complete run of this? It goes back to 2002 I believe, I would assume those early bottles are hard to find.

Gary

Just a quick question to those that know more about OFBB. Is it possible to put together a complete run of this? It goes back to 2002 I believe, I would assume those early bottles are hard to find.

Gary

Without knowing for certain, I'd imagine anything could be done for the right amount of cheddar. :skep: I'd also imagine the amount needed to get something like this done, in the current environment, would weigh quite a bit. :rolleyes:

Just got a phone call from one of the big chain stores in my area that got their shipment of 6 bottles -I was able to get one for $49.99, before taxes [emoji106]?

Just got a phone call from one of the big chain stores in my area that got their shipment of 6 bottles -I was able to get one for $49.99, before taxes [emoji106]

Holy Smokes! that's a great price.

Pleasantly surprised to discover that the price was 49.99 for the one my wife purchased for me yesterday. I was expecting a big markup.

2010 and 2012 have popped up on The Whiskey Exchange for £99 a pop. Not cheap, but probably cheaper than secondary.

Pleasantly surprised to discover that the price was 49.99 for the one my wife purchased for me yesterday. I was expecting a big markup.

Purchased in WA? How can the price be less than MSRP?

I don't understand control states I guess.

They have sales tax and some type of bottle/liquor tax which likely increased the total cost to $60-62ish. I think some shops compensate for that.

Hidden

I had it in my checkout basket at 99 euro. Clicked refresh and it's now 140 euro. That's either really strange, or horrible luck for me. I guess they adjust price as their stock gets depleted. Has anyone else had this happen? I've never purchased from Whiskey exchange

2010 and 2012 have popped up on The Whiskey Exchange for £99 a pop. Not cheap, but probably cheaper than secondary.

I had a 2012 in my checkout bin at 99 euro, then I hit refresh about 2 minutes later and it was up to 139 euro. Either they adjust their prices as their stock is depleted, or I have horrible luck. Has this happened to anyone else on Whiskey Exchange? I've never purchased from them before

Washington is no longer a control state, but as noted above, we do have close to the highest taxes in the country. My out the door price was $63 for that one.

I had a 2012 in my checkout bin at 99 euro, then I hit refresh about 2 minutes later and it was up to 139 euro. Either they adjust their prices as their stock is depleted, or I have horrible luck. Has this happened to anyone else on Whiskey Exchange? I've never purchased from them before

Perhaps it was in pounds before you logged into your account and it was converted based on country? £99 is about €138...

I'd like to claim that bourbon zen is the reason I don't have a bottle of OFBB yet, but really, it's unsatisfied whiskeyrexia nervosa, and just not having the time to run around trying to track down a bottle, despite the help of the OLCC inventory search.

Tasted the '14 last year, long after it was gone from the shelves, and really liked it. Decided I was going to try and get a '15. But I was out of town this past weekend when it hit OR. Looks like there might be a few bottles left, but I just don't see it happening...guess I'll just have to satisfy myself with OFSig and the barrel-proofer that's supposed to come out next year.

Envious of flahute and mrs. flahute for picking the bottles up for him...

I was offered one at $89.99. I passed. Owner said that his cost from the distributor was more than last year's retail price.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.