Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

Guy Debord
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The guy I asked at the liquor store said that Ohio got 120 bottles, 60 went back to the state liquor department, and 60 went to stores. My store got 4, and they all went to restaurants. Pretty much an impossible task in Ohio

I just got a call that it arrived in Peoria from one of the stores here. Six bottles and six names on the list, including mine. Price of $79.99, which is more than I'd like but I've always wanted to try this stuff. Since I got married this year, I'm toying with the idea of saving it for a wedding anniversary.

Jason

I just got a call that it arrived in Peoria from one of the stores here. Six bottles and six names on the list, including mine. Price of $79.99, which is more than I'd like but I've always wanted to try this stuff. Since I got married this year, I'm toying with the idea of saving it for a wedding anniversary.

Jason

If you're on the list and you want to do right by your purveyor, then by all means pick up a bottle of the OFBB. I bought my last bottles at $50, and personally wouldn't spend much more than that on OFBB, but it is limited, and generally good.

But in my humble opinion, if you buy it, then just open it and drink it. It's not all that special to save for a wedding anniversary or anything like that. To put OFBB in perspective, it used to sit on shelves for months at $50 and under as recently as a couple of years ago, before the "limited" boom got out of hand. If you have any Four Roses private selections on hand, then I'd pretty much take any of those over OFBB any day of the week. The OFBB is good, but nothing spectacular.

The guy I asked at the liquor store said that Ohio got 120 bottles, 60 went back to the state liquor department, and 60 went to stores. My store got 4, and they all went to restaurants. Pretty much an impossible task in Ohio

What does the state liquor control do with 60 bottles if not sending to stores and restaurants?

Jason

hmmm, walked into Costco at lunch today to pick up some stuff for the office and decided to check out the liquor aisle and saw these on the shelf, about 8 bottles, at $63.99. picked up one and hope it was a good choice! As JeffR just said below, I do enjoy the FRPS bottles from Binny's, which go for slightly cheaper, so hopefully this is just as good, otherwise I'd kick myself for buying this instead of the FR.

Hidden

He didn't tell me but said that the sixty bottles that 60 bottles go back to the state in a dubious way with an eye roll. The other guy working chimed in that working at state liquor dept is the place to be if you want dibs great bourbon, or something to that effect

Was informed by our sales rep that he only got 20 bottles for his 35 accounts. Was able to try a pour at the Brown Hotel last week. Not sorry I'm going to unable to find a bottle......

But in my humble opinion, if you buy it, then just open it and drink it. It's not all that special to save for a wedding anniversary or anything like that. To put OFBB in perspective, it used to sit on shelves for months at $50 and under as recently as a couple of years ago, before the "limited" boom got out of hand. If you have any Four Roses private selections on hand, then I'd pretty much take any of those over OFBB any day of the week. The OFBB is good, but nothing spectacular.

I love me some FRSB PS too. It's not that OFBB is the best thing I have in the bunker or the hardest to find in my bunker. I just think it is neat because it displays the year of bottling (2015) as that year's release so it would be more for that reason. I explained to my wife that the color of the seal changes every year and she looked at the bottle and said, "Teal, our wedding color!"

It might take me until our first or second anniversary to open it anyway with how much I already have open and in the queue...

Jason

so has anyone tried this year's yet? I'm looking at drink hacker's review, and it's making me think of taking it back to costco and then going to pick up a FRPS instead!

so has anyone tried this year's yet? I'm looking at drink hacker's review, and it's making me think of taking it back to costco and then going to pick up a FRPS instead!

I saw drink hacker review as well. Also read The Sour Mash Manifesto's review and Jason gave it a 9.1 out of 10 (Also read that he is an OFBB fanboy).

Tough decision. I say crack it open and judge for yourself. Let us know your thoughts. I will most likely pick one up if I see it at a reasonable price.

I saw drink hacker review as well. Also read The Sour Mash Manifesto's review and Jason gave it a 9.1 out of 10 (Also read that he is an OFBB fanboy).

Tough decision. I say crack it open and judge for yourself. Let us know your thoughts. I will most likely pick one up if I see it at a reasonable price.

good to see Jason (SMM) reviewing anything again. It's been a while.

good to see Jason (SMM) reviewing anything again. It's been a while.

Agreed. When I first got into Bourbon earlier in the year, his blog was one I followed the most.

I just gave my son-in-law a complete collection of Birthday Bourbon from 2002 to the present. It was my last complete collection. Enjoy it Rob.

I just gave my son-in-law a complete collection of Birthday Bourbon from 2002 to the present. It was my last complete collection. Enjoy it Rob.

:bigeyes: Even if Rob just started with nothing, he now has a serious bunker! I take it the corks were holding up well on the older editions?

That's an awesome gift! I'm sure he will appreciate it.

My wife found a bottle for me at a random store on the other side of town. The woman behind the counter called her husband to see if it was being held for someone but she couldn't reach him. I lucked out - with the bourbon and having a great wife!

My wife found a bottle for me at a random store on the other side of town. The woman behind the counter called her husband to see if it was being held for someone but she couldn't reach him. I lucked out - with the bourbon and having a great wife!

Cha-Ching!!!

:toast:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.