What Bourbon Are You Drinking??

MurphyDawg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Old Rip Van Winkle, 20 Years Old, Lot "sam's" [sic], 133.4 proof, Bottled May 23, 2003. About a half-ounce in my Glencairn blender's glass.

Unlike other barrel-proof bourbons I've tried, this one doesn't cry out for the addition of water. In fact, the nose is so sweet, spicy and round that I fear adding water could only detract from the experience. However, on the palate the alcohol burn becomes noticeable, and then I'm tempted to add water, perhaps to lower the proof to no less than 107 or so. At that proof I noticed no burn at all from ORVW 10/107.

I may discover that the best way to enjoy this masterpiece is to use two glasses simultaneously, one full strength for nosing and one with water for sipping.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Tonight its a glass of Rare Breed straight. I enjoy Rare Breed, even more than KY Spirit, but I would still take Russell's Reserve over the two.

This is my first post, and while I'm drinking Old Weller Antique (starts sweet, ends dry) has anyone noticed that at the bottom of the label it says "Original Old Line Sour Mash" instead of Original Old Time Sour Mash? Or is it just my bottle? Or my eyes? blush.gif

The other night I was espousing the joys of a newly opened bottle of ER17yo. While I am sure this is still a wonderful bourbon, right now it sucks. I guess I should mention that my previous two drinks were Stagg '03 75/25 with water. I don't know if even Kentucky Spirit could stand up to the Stagg shocked.gif

Tonight I'm finishing up the last pour from a half-pint of the old, no-longer-bottled Jim Beam Black 90-proof 7yo. Best 'regular' Beam I've had (though I like the current 8yo Black label okay, too). I found this bottle and a 750 ml bottle a week ago in an older liquor store.

Right now I'm drinking a sip of Wathen's, and before that I had a nip of Kentucky Spirit. Not a bad double header!

After a couple of tiny sips of ORVW 20 year-old "sam's" bottling in the afternoon, I selected Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve to accompany my evening TV viewing. In comparison to the 20 year-old VW, the WT RR is merely a nice little bourbon, but one that I try never to be without.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Last night a Punch SS#2 and three fingers of Weller Centennial, A massive explosion of flavor! Tonight, whatever is behind door # 3. yum.gif

I have been drinking a bottle of Old Forester 100 BIB that I have seen touted on the board. Very nice, full flavored pour.

I have been drinking some Old Forester (86) last couple of nights. First time I tried it. Not bad. I have a cold, so I won't give a detailed report. Hopefully what I report will be that it cured my cold!

Anyone got a cold cure?

-AJ

AJ,

Just keep doing what you're doing, and I guarantee your cold will go away. That will be $50, please. lol.gif

Remember, nature cures you, but the doctor sends you a bill anyway. grin.gif

Yours truly,

Dave "Absolutely No Medical Training Whatsoever" Morefield

Van Winkle Family Reserve 12 Years Old, Lot "B" (90.4 proof).

After yesterday's confrontation with the ORVW 20 y/o barrel proof Sam's bottling, I may need to recalibrate my taster. At first impression, this bottling is gentle to a fault.

Thinking back to my first Van Winkle experience, the ORVW 10/107, I recall being enveloped by the nose the second I pulled the cork. Even in my Glencairn blender's glass, the Lot "B" invites deep, rapid sniffing to plumb its apparent subtleties.

On the palette it seems to be mainly fruit and spice instead of the nutty, oily taste (a la Walnettos) I recall from the 10/107.

If I still perceive it this way in a day or two, a one-on-one with the ORVW 10/107 will be called for. Perhaps I expected a family resemblance where there is none.

Hmmmm... Now that a few minutes have elapsed, I'm getting a more assertive nose. Maybe there's something to that let-it-breathe thing, after all.

I bought [my first] two bottles of this at $25.64 during Sam's October Warehouse Clearance Sale. I'm starting to think I should have bought more, especially at that price.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I bought a bottle of the Lot B during the sale almost a year ago too Dave and was impressed with it. It's one I don't see on many store shelves even when Old Rip is there, but it is still a great bourbon.

Oh yeah, tonight it'll be a pour of Hirsch 20 followed by Rare Breed.

I just now checked the website for Park Avenue Liquor, thinking they had it listed. Wrong. On top of that they want $54 for ORVW 15/107. If that price is indicative of their prices on other products, then there must be a more reasonably priced outlet in your vicinity.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Heh, heh. One of my favorite The Beverly Hillbillies episodes was the one where the city doctors had heard of Granny Clampett's cure for colds and were seriously investigating it as a possible valid folk remedy. They chased her for most of the episode, but got nothing out of her. Of course, her "remedy" was simply her white lightning homemade whiskey.

Finally, the doctors pinned Jed down to tell them something about it. "So, Granny really has a cure for a cold?" "Yep." "And it really works?" "Yep, every time." "Tell us more about how you take it." "Well, you just take a dose of Granny's medicine and go to bed. Then, in about a week, your cold is gone." grin.gif

Tim

My wife unpacked one of the few boxes left from our move and put Weller Special Reserve on to my bourbon shelf. I looked at the bottle and sighed because there was very little left. I have enjoyed it tonight and realize that I have enjoyed every bottle of Weller I have had...the Special Reserve (7yrs old) the 10 year bottle I have and the 19 year that I just got. Man, this is good stuff. Love the sweet aromas caramel, toffee and the way it just roalls right down grin.gif. I am going to see if the ABC carries this so I can get more!

I am going to see if the ABC carries this so I can get more!

If you can still get the Weller 19 stock up now, it's no more... What an excellent bourbon it is.

Buffalo Trace.

I think my taster is off today. First a sip of Wathen's didn't excite me; now it's the same with BT -- although I am enjoying just nosing it.

Could it be that drinking VW products two days in a row has spoiled me? Forever?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Could it be that drinking VW products two days in a row has spoiled me? Forever?

Now that is very possible Dave, but I don't know since even Wathen's isn't exciting you. lol.gif I so like that bourbon especially at sale prices.

Tonight for me its the last bit of some Eagle Rare 10 year 101 I have. Also a great bourbon for its price. There are some great finds out there that will not run your wallet dry.

I think, Dave, you have been affected by the age factor of VW products. As good as Wathen and Trace are, the relative youth of these whiskeys will contrast quite evidently to a spate of rich, older whiskeys such as VW represents.

Gary

I strated off with the final sips of a bottle of WT101. That bottle served me quite well. Now I am into a healthy pour of ORVW 12yo rye. I have it on good word that I have some more on the way, so I'm a little looser with my current bottle lol.gif

I'll be sampling a new purchase of ORVW 13 year rye, never had a true rye and know that this is one of the best out there by what everyone says. I like the aroma and the first sip was good as well. I'll know more al ittle later, I'm sure.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!