Maker's Mark Cask Strength

joboyd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I see in a new Maker's Mark brochure that they will have "Maker's 46 Barrel Strength" available in limited quantities at the distillery this summer.

If it's $80 or under I'll jump on it, though that may be a little steep but I can splurge once in a while :toast:

I hope this indicates Suntory is taking the enthusiast crowd more seriously. If they were to release either the 46 or the standard MM at 10+ years, that'd be really interesting.

Finding plenty of it on the shelves. There are tons of MM drinkers out there. Must only want their standard MM @ 90 proof.

There is a thread on reddit talking about Maker's Mark 12 year as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/bourbon/comments/3etjzz/makers_46_barrel_strength/

If you think the MM CS and upcoming MM46 CS are expensive then I shudder to think what this will cost at nearly twice the age and with an age statement. Can't imagine it is that much better than EC12 despite the mashbill difference and I don't know that I would pay much more than the cost of EC12 for it.

Which means I won't likely be buying any! Certainly not without trying it first.

What I find interesting is that MM has told us for years that once their bourbon is past six and seven years old it's not very good.

What I find interesting is that MM has told us for years that once their bourbon is past six and seven years old it's not very good.

Probably enough people on the tour who have tasted the "over aged" sample have told them ".....ummmmm, I actually like this better...can I buy this?" has convinced them to reconsider.

If you think the MM CS and upcoming MM46 CS are expensive then I shudder to think what this will cost at nearly twice the age and with an age statement. Can't imagine it is that much better than EC12 despite the mashbill difference and I don't know that I would pay much more than the cost of EC12 for it.

Which means I won't likely be buying any! Certainly not without trying it first.

Bruce: we all know you are going to buy one.

Bruce: we all know you are going to buy one.

One would think! But I have never been a big MM fan so maybe this will prove to be the one exception. Emphasis on maybe... :lol:

In case some of your are hunting:

I've found this still available in some Virginia ABC Stores at $60 plus tax per 750ml. I haven't seen it lately in my WashDC stores (other than the one $44 375ml I tripped over while looking for some OWA I thought I saw on the back of a shelf but didn't) although I haven't been asking for it in WDC since I've found it in VA. Online searches of the VA ABC Stores along I-95 mostly show it is not in inventory, but the smaller, more remote stores, say along US 29 from WDC to C'ville or in the Piedmont counties off I-64, do show some.

In case some of you are hunting.

I want to try this, but at $55+ per 750ml, I simply can't pull the trigger. (Was even less able to pull it for the 375ml at $35.) If regular makers is $20-25 per 750ml, the proof difference alone should not logically take this over $40 at most. And after all they are not claiming this is aged longer. Cask strength is great, but don't rip me off for the privilege of your simply not adding water and overly filtering the stuff. I had a hard enough time with ECBP at $45 (and that is a stronger poison at cask).

I found this locally for $60, and did buy a bottle while out grocery shopping. The wife didn't notice that it came home with me, and was able to sneak it in with the rest of my stash.

Wife found a bottle of MMCS 750ml at $37.99 and got rang up for the $49.99 price(DOH) but they were nice enough to price match it for her. I swear to god, pretty woman have it super easy in this world...getting a 750ml at a 375ml price........

I hit the 'new' MMCS that I bought about a month ago, and sampled (a couple weex? ago), one more time; since I was still not entirely over a sinus issue.

I stand by my estimation of it made at that time. It is a very nice pour, which I would take over Larceny, WSR or even OWA if it were priced at any of their levels.

..At least on those occasions when I wanted a very sweet Bourbon in my glass.

It is very sweet, which I don't necessarily find off-putting, just not something I reach for very often. It exhibits a bit less vanilla, a bit more sweet caramel, and rather more brown sugar than the others.

Being higher proof perhaps accounts for some of that. The nose is very MM, and quite nice. The finish isn't exceptional, but for a wheater is pretty good. It's still a bit 'thin' as most wheaters are to me; but I accept that in 'em.

All in all, I'm no longer certain I won't buy another. I enjoyed this pour very well. If I see it for reasonable cheese, maybe around $45, I think I'll scoop another. At $60 though, for me it's a pass.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.