Maker's Mark Cask Strength

joboyd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

batch 15-01 and 15-02 appeared on shelves in NC recently. I found 375 mL at #35, and the 750 was priced at $60.

Surprising it's not already there, it's fairly common around here which is to say it's on the shelves of our better stocked stores.

Has anyone heard about when the 750s might come to GA?

I asked out of curiosity a couple of weeks ago but there was no word on arrival date at that time.

if you're near SC I know a shop.

Didn't really want any! Got a couple of 375's when it first came out and it was OK but not something I wanted more of. Just curious if it had shown up in Atlanta.

Not that i care that much about MMCS, but GA does seem to get the shaft when it comes to higher-quality bourbon selection/quantity. but of course my POV is a bit skewed after moving here from Louisville 2 yrs ago.

Was told by the distributor last week at they are expecting a shipment of 150 boxes around June 1st. So it looks like another limited number of bottles (2-3) hitting shelves at selected stores in a couple of weeks.

Didn't really want any! Got a couple of 375's when it first came out and it was OK but not something I wanted more of. Just curious if it had shown up in Atlanta.

Cards, it was a shock to my system when I moved down here to Atlanta from Louisville in 2000. And distributors tell me that the biggest reason we always seem to be sucking hind teat is that suppliers HATE Georgia liquor laws. He wasn't able to tell me which ones in particular, but that was his reasoning.

But we always seems to get this least allocation and later than just about anyone else. Was in Luavull Easter weekend and the shelves were full of 375's and 750's of MMCS.

Not that i care that much about MMCS, but GA does seem to get the shaft when it comes to higher-quality bourbon selection/quantity. but of course my POV is a bit skewed after moving here from Louisville 2 yrs ago.

I'm seeing the 750ml all over Houston Specs now. $52/ea per bottle or $46.35/ea if you buy it by the case. I may have to finally try this stuff.

Hard to say we get the shaft, our allocations are pretty solid in my opinion and the fall releases have been decently timely vs other states. Also note, there is a lot more pressure from on premises accounts for these items now as well. Now compared to Louisville 2 years ago, yes, it likely seems down, but my last few trips through KY have been pretty sad. The Party Source, once a mecca for Private Selections and high end bourbons is picked clean. Liquor Barns on the Lex side last week were equally picked over and devoid of Private Selections. Heck, I'd make the argument that compared to 2 years ago, GA compared to itself seems sad when you consider the availability of some of the higher end stuff.

Also remember, the original press for MMCS notes this was intended for on premises use and a gift shop release. It was going to be all 375s. I really do think Makers didn't expect the market to be this big for it. Note when you take the tour there, they give you the over aged Makers and act like its a bad thing to keep a Wheated Bourbon in the cask for more that 6-8 years.

Y'all just need to refer to your allocations as being Atlanta metro and not Ga. Compared to us in the boonies y'all have a cornucopia of selections.

Not complaining, it is what it is and since I've reached BZ I am very happy with my EWBIB @ $13.99 up to my OGD114 @ $24.99.

Cheers.

Y'all just need to refer to your allocations as being Atlanta metro and not Ga. Compared to us in the boonies y'all have a cornucopia of selections.

Not complaining, it is what it is and since I've reached BZ I am very happy with my EWBIB @ $13.99 up to my OGD114 @ $24.99.

Cheers.

I've bought quite a few allocated products "in the boonies" here in GA. They get out there, again, the landscape has changed in the last 2-3 years and it's going to get tougher before it gets easier.

I just went to Binny's in Skokie and plunked down $60 for a 750ml. I've paid that much for BTAC and such in the past.

Oh my God.

I may grab a spare or two just as insurance. This is wheated bourbon done right. There's a tinge of sweetness, but also a surprising amount of heat. Not in an unpleasant way, it's just very warming. I can very much picture sipping this in the dead of winter.

This is enough to make me forgive Maker's for not marketing a 100 proof expression anymore, and indeed for their brief 42% folly. With their cypress fermenters (I know, there's steel as well), liquid yeast, low distillation and barrel entry proof, and recipe from Pappy and Elmo Beam, this may be the closest thing anyone can get today to even remotely resembling Stitzel-Weller juice in its (pardon the pun) prime.

Hard to say we get the shaft, our allocations are pretty solid in my opinion and the fall releases have been decently timely vs other states.

If you go south of Atlanta you wouldn't say that. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a special release or even some of the more limited releases in middle Georgia.

I just went to Binny's in Skokie and plunked down $60 for a 750ml. I've paid that much for BTAC and such in the past.

Oh my God.

I may grab a spare or two just as insurance. This is wheated bourbon done right. There's a tinge of sweetness, but also a surprising amount of heat. Not in an unpleasant way, it's just very warming. I can very much picture sipping this in the dead of winter.

This is enough to make me forgive Maker's for not marketing a 100 proof expression anymore, and indeed for their brief 42% folly. With their cypress fermenters (I know, there's steel as well), liquid yeast, low distillation and barrel entry proof, and recipe from Pappy and Elmo Beam, this may be the closest thing anyone can get today to even remotely resembling Stitzel-Weller juice in its (pardon the pun) prime.

I have read and heard a lot about the appropriate pricing for this offering. The cheapest I paid for 375s was $28 each. The cheapest I have seen 750s is $60. While I think $50 is the appropriate price, I can see occasionally springing for one at $60. I am not a regular MM fan and find MM46 slightly better than regular MM. However, I think MMCS is significantly better. I think it is one of the better new products to come to the market in the last few years. Any wheated bourbon from a major distiller over 110 proof is a good thing!

If you go south of Atlanta you wouldn't say that. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a special release or even some of the more limited releases in middle Georgia.

It's the same story in north and south Ga, all the allocations are going to metro Atlanta.

It's the same story in north and south Ga, all the allocations are going to metro Atlanta.

And even here more and more seems to be going on premise. Maybe I should open a whiskey bar... :rolleyes:

. . . . This is wheated bourbon done right . . . .

No pardon required, in my household anything phunny is acceptable. For the rest I'm in full agreement as I've long referred to Makers as a Stitzel-Weller clone and in fact believe the average Makers today is superior to the average SW back in the day.

I was so impressed with this that I called the distillery on Friday; they directed me to the Louisville office where I left a voicemail message for Bill Samuels, Jr because he wasn't in. HE CALLED ME THIS MORNING. We had a very nice chat about bourbon geekery, he told a few stories of the old days and pre-Prohibition whiskey (which he thinks isn't as good as today's, because technology makes a more reliable, consistent product even with the variances that come in to play with an agricultural product), and he laid all the credit for Cask Strength squarely on the shoulders of his son Rob. As he put it (as best I can remember the wording), "I was against it for years. Then Rob said 'Dad, go take a vacation for a couple of weeks!' "

I'm still in awe. :) And I still think it's a shame that Joe Congiusti never lived to see this release. He'd've been all over it. I can only hope he gets some of the angels' share...

HA! WOW! You're getting personal phone calls from Bill Samuels, Jr.!!!???

You, sir on the A-List now! Can you get me an autographed Barrel full of the MMCS???? I'd be happy to pay you for it, if you can bring it over to my house. Kidding...

I'm in awe of ya, bud.

Adding to the pile -- Thank you for sharing.

Adding to the other pile -- I wasn't sure I was going to try/buy the MMCS unless it fell on me. I like MM OK but don't find it exceptional, and I feel the same way about MM46 which I bought one of about six months ago and have had only one sip of. Neither one calls to me the way others do. So last week, after following this thread for awhile, I bought a bottle of the MMCS against what I thought was my better judgment - and am glad I did. I like its complexity and its versatility (with/without water/ice on hot/cold days). Last night, I made Juleps with it and demerara and fresh mint from the mint patch in a pot on the deck. WONderful all the way to the watery end when I finished doing the dishes. MM sort of gets lost in my juleps which is why I usually use WT101 Rye or an equivalent. Not so with MMCS.

Thank you, you all, for teaching me this new trick.

Very cool story.

Also, Batch 15-02 750 ml is in New York for around $60. It's good, but not as good as I recall the 2014 half bottles being, but that may have been due to a novelty effect. I would still get another when my current two run out.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.