Maker's Mark Cask Strength

joboyd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well I will go against the grain with this one. I found it at what appeared to be a good price - $27.99 for the 375 and $50.99 for the 750. I bought the 375 and tried it last night. I didn't like it on the first sip. It certainly started off good, like a stronger/hotter wheat bourbon, but somewhere around the middle to the end of the sip, it went whangy on me. It was not the usual wheat backend that I expected. It was something completely different. Almost like something spoiled. I dont know if this is just my not liking this profile, or if it was something with this bottle, but I will not be buying this one again. I also apoligise for not being better at dscribing tastes and flavors better than "whangy"....

.... I also apoligise for not being better at dscribing tastes and flavors better than "whangy"....

AWWWW, don't apologize for that! "Whangy"; I love that term! I think it's great; Unique.

I'm now seeking an opportunity to use it myself!

I haven't been feeling quite whangy since yesterday.

Hoping to be able to get whangy by this evening.

My taste buddies are desperate to taste something whangy, really soon. This is FUN!!!! Thanx, latech15!!!

Well I will go against the grain with this one. I found it at what appeared to be a good price - $27.99 for the 375 and $50.99 for the 750. I bought the 375 and tried it last night. I didn't like it on the first sip. It certainly started off good, like a stronger/hotter wheat bourbon, but somewhere around the middle to the end of the sip, it went whangy on me. It was not the usual wheat backend that I expected. It was something completely different. Almost like something spoiled. I dont know if this is just my not liking this profile, or if it was something with this bottle, but I will not be buying this one again. I also apoligise for not being better at dscribing tastes and flavors better than "whangy"....

Might want to check it again in a few days. I still haven't found a wheated bourbon that doesn't go "whangy" on my pallate right out of the bottle. Maybe it's all mental, but I find they need to breath.

Will probably finish off my second bottle tonight. Which I've enjoyed much more than the first one.

Can't help it, but I like MMCS. I like regular MM too. Give it another shot later on latech15. Let it sit for a few days then revisit it. Many wheaters have a tendency to "open up" after being open a while. Don't give up the ship just yet. Also, and FWIW, those aren't bad prices for either the 375 or 750.

Cheers! Joe

• 2 weeks later...
I also apoligise for not being better at dscribing tastes and flavors better than "whangy"....

What Rich said. I was in Tomintoul a few weeks ago and at The Whisky Castle I ended up describing a single malt to a German tourist with hand gestures. Whatever works.

What Rich said. I was in Tomintoul a few weeks ago and at The Whisky Castle I ended up describing a single malt to a German tourist with hand gestures. Whatever works.

Good thing I wasn't trying to drink my coffee when I read this.

.... I was in Tomintoul a few weeks ago and at The Whisky Castle I ended up describing a single malt to a German tourist with hand gestures. Whatever works.

That would work with an Italian. Would have loved to see the German's face. :grin: "Whangy" works for me when I think of wheated beers. :slappin:

• 3 months later...
On 12/27/2015, 12:36:06, bourbon-n00b said:

750ml bottles are available for $39.99 at Internet Wines:

http://www.internetwines.com/rws56193.html

I've got no affiliation with thi retailer, just seemed like an excellent price and I thought I'd share. 

That's a pretty awesome deal. If Binny's didn't have it nearby me for $49.99 (which is close to what I'd be paying after shipping from your link), I'd be all over this. Nice find!

• 4 weeks later...

I had about a third of a bottle of batch 15-02, which I combined with a visually similar amount of standard Maker's. I KNOW, I KNOW but I'll tell you what, it's mighty tasty. And since the cask on this one is roughly 111 and change proof, combined with the 90 proof standard Maker's it clocks in at just under 101. And it's pretty good that way. (Not the 100 proof expression I'd love to see, but close enough as dammit to the old 101 expression they put out years ago.)

Edited by shoshani

I want to try this combo Michael. I really like both as stand alones, but a combination at around a hundo proof intrigues me. I recently bought the CS at $36 for the 750ml, just need to buy the regular iteration and start vatting

On 1/30/2016, 5:22:01, Phil T said:

I want to try this combo Michael. I really like both as stand alones, but a combination at around a hundo proof intrigues me. I recently bought the CS at $36 for the 750ml, just need to buy the regular iteration and start vatting

$36 for 750 of CS is a steal. Around here, it's around $60. Get some more at that price before the Ohio Department of Liquor Control changes their minds! :) 

I know right?! It was an internet deal that a friend told me about. A CS wheater for 36 bucks is a no brainer, all day any day

16-03 is out. Saw it at Binny's. IIRC the proof was 111 something but wouldn't bet the ranch on the correctly. 

Curious as to how many barrel's / bottles can be in a batch here.  i got a 15-03 batch in July when I was in Chicago, but noticed in Virginia that a 15-03 just arrived today at a local ABC store as part of their weekly shipment.

2 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Curious as to how many barrel's / bottles can be in a batch here.  i got a 15-03 batch in July when I was in Chicago, but noticed in Virginia that a 15-03 just arrived today at a local ABC store as part of their weekly shipment.

Edited by flahute
Whoops - wrong thread.

• 4 months later...

Really enjoyed this one. I like how makers is starting to release different products. Even if they are the same mashbills. This one is a classic example of a bourbon that tastes better cask strength 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.