Maker's Mark Cask Strength

joboyd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A few 350ml bottles of batch 14-01 have made there way to an online retailer here in Australia. Runs at $89 a bottle... not cheap, but a few of us here have ponied up just so we can taste it. I haven't opened my bottle yet, but a fellow member did. Slightly (and I mean only slightly) hotter on the finish than I tend to like, but full of great flavours. I'm more a MM46 fan at this stage, but I plan on opening mine and re-visiting this a few times before I make my mind up completely.

A few 350ml bottles of batch 14-01 have made there way to an online retailer here in Australia. Runs at $89 a bottle... not cheap, but a few of us here have ponied up just so we can taste it. I haven't opened my bottle yet, but a fellow member did. Slightly (and I mean only slightly) hotter on the finish than I tend to like, but full of great flavours. I'm more a MM46 fan at this stage, but I plan on opening mine and re-visiting this a few times before I make my mind up completely.

Hey Shoshani! Nice to hear Joe C's name bandied about on the forum. I've been a lurker for a couple years here and when reading about certain whiskys here I'm reminded of him often and subsequently wish I could walk in to the old Sam's and show him my latest find and/or he shows me and lets me taste his latest favorite. I agree he would have loved this stuff. I think it is the best thing MM has put out since they stopped selling the Gold wax 101 back in the mid 90's (only at the distillery gift shop and maybe Japan I think). I remember Joe liked more than just whisky and was an enthusiast for all quality alcoholic distillates. In the late 80's he turned me on to Single malts at the store on North ave. then soon after Bourbons then Armagnacs then grappa's and liquers and so on and on. Those were the days I bought Hirsch 16 by the case for $35 a bottle!

I owe a huge debt of gratitude to Joe C RIP

Bought the 750ml here in the Houston area for $55 including tax. Batch 15-02. Fantastic stuff! Another 4 years of age on it and it would be epic.

15-02 here in Alabama. Bought a 750 for Father's day! THIS is what I remember Maker's being about.

Bought the 750ml here in the Houston area for $55 including tax. Batch 15-02. Fantastic stuff! Another 4 years of age on it and it would be epic.

I've recently seen the 750's at just a tick under $50 in both KY and FL. This is a great trend IMO...

• 3 weeks later...
BTW, Costco has it in 750's for $49.95 per which is worth it in my humble opinion.

Yeah, Binny's in Illinois had it on sale for $49.95 recently, and I picked it up despite having some of my first bottle left. Great stuff.

Yeah, Binny's in Illinois had it on sale for $49.95 recently, and I picked it up despite having some of my first bottle left. Great stuff.

I grabbed one at Binny's while it was on sale. It is still around $64.99 in Indy. The Costco's in Indy carry Maker's Mark, MM46 and Kirkland. That is it. I am not sure why Costco's in other areas have a better selection.

yup, binny's sale on MMCS at $50 is going on until Aug 3rd, from what the tag said. just picked up some today

yup, binny's sale on MMCS at $50 is going on until Aug 3rd, from what the tag said. just picked up some today

SO IT IS. And here I bought a case of six at full price a month ago. When I bunker, I bunker hard. Or something. :bigeyes:

"Bunker less, drink more!" That would make a nice bumper sticker, eh?[emoji1]

SO IT IS. And here I bought a case of six at full price a month ago. When I bunker, I bunker hard. Or something. :bigeyes:

yikes, if you have the receipt go back to binny's and return it and buy at the cheaper price ;)

That is a great saying! Would make a great t-shirt too

Heh. I drink what I bunker, I just have more of it sitting around. :D

Haven't read the entire thread here, but I just got a bottle of the new 750 ML size. I hope they didn't dumb down the quality compared to the original 375 release. I'm going to compare the two soon.

Haven't read the entire thread here, but I just got a bottle of the new 750 ML size. I hope they didn't dumb down the quality compared to the original 375 release. I'm going to compare the two soon.

I had 4 bottles of the 375ml and have had two of the 750ml. Other than normal batch variation I have found no difference. The last 750ml I had was the best of all the bottles I have had. Looking forward to reading what you think.

Heh. I drink what I bunker, I just have more of it sitting around. :D

Uh huh. :skep: That's what we all try and tell ourselves Mike. :lol:

I had 4 bottles of the 375ml and have had two of the 750ml. Other than normal batch variation I have found no difference. The last 750ml I had was the best of all the bottles I have had. Looking forward to reading what you think.

Thank you, w-t. I liked the one 750 I purchased (still have some). I will not hesitate to get another, now.

FINALLY cracked my 'new' bottle of MMCS! I'm still not convinced I'm getting all that may be available, since 'recovering' (or not quite yet) from a sinus infection.

...BUT, I couldn't wait any longer to pour some of this out and sample it. I find it to be rather like regular MM; but considerably more!

That said, I've never found MM to be good value for the cheddar asked. MM is a nice wheater, but so is WSR, and especially OWA, for rather less cheese.

Anyway, the MMCS is certainly MORE of what you'd expect, and a very nice pour for what it is; just not not a great deal better (to my taste buddies) than OWA.

Is it worth the extra??? To my mind...probably not; But... am I sorry I bought it? No. It's a different take on a wheated Bourbon than the Wellers, and a pretty nice pour for sure. I enjoyed it a lot.

I just won't be grabbing another. It has a fairly narrow profile (as most wheaters do...to me anyway), exhibiting a good deal of vanilla, a bit of caramel, a lot of sweetness, and a pretty aromatic nose.

So, there you have it. Pretty nice pour, if it were available for around $40.... at $60 or so, I'll be passing it up.

Picked up a bottle of Batch 15-03 at Binny's. I like it well enough, but there's some things in this batch I didn't get with 14-01, a stronger presence of oak and a significant (and off-putting) flavor of tea leaves. If you've ever had the misfortune of drinking Firefly Sweet Tea Bourbon you know what I'm getting at. Otherwise, good nose, great mouthfeel, and as sweet as you'd ever want bourbon to be (if that's your thing).

Edited by Tucker

Thanks for the notes guys... I just haven't been in the right mood to pull the trigger on it (yet).

Thanks for the notes guys... I just haven't been in the right mood to pull the trigger on it (yet).

I hate to load up on you, Paddy, but . . .

We cleaned out upper shelves in our utility/laundry/pantry room today. I keep most of my bourbons up there. I looked right at the opened MM CS and decided it's just "too good" to just pour because I was in the mood after a day of weeding (AM) and cleaning (PM). I'm a high rye lover who sometimes drinks wheateds (thanks Joe, et al; I didn't know what I was missing). BUT, the MMCS is wonderful. I even gave away my basic MM but will now not be without at least one MMCS.

I'm a somtimes wheater man myself so when I ran across a bottle yesterday for $59 I grabbed it. This is a bottle that is still hard to come by in my neck of the woods.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.