About All Things Pappy/VanWinkle

wildcatdon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bottle looks to be sealed, soooooo, what's in the glass?

Lot B wasn't my favorite during the 2008-11 time frame. I thought PVW 15, 20 and 23 were better. However, Lot B is by far my favorite of the VW line the last two years. It has gotten much better and the rest of the line has declined. The current 20 and 23 are over oaked and very astringent. The 15 is good but not great. The current Lot B is a great whiskey. It reminds me a lot of Weller from 15 years go (yeah, I'm old). It's just one mans opinion, but when I was given the choice this year, I picked a 12. I'm opening it for friends at Christmas.

I'll put in a plug for Whiskyfest It's a great chance to compare one after the other. For the other MD people, they added one in DC next year.

Cheers,

Joe

The candle is lemon scented in case anyone wants to know.

Doesn't that interfere with the all important nosing of the bourbon?

Doesn't that interfere with the all important nosing of the bourbon?

As with wine their should be a guide to determine which candle scent goes best with which bourbon.

So my buddy stopped over on Friday for our usual tasting and jam session. He told me he got a 20 yr. old for..................$350! I thought he was crazy, but oh well if that's what he wants... go for it, he also said the store was selling (sold)Lot B for $169.00. I also told him your just adding fuel to the fire, but if he hadn't bought it someone else would have, he said the 23 yr old went for $1200 within an hour. Craziness....!

I have struck out the past two years. Not that I am really trying too hard. I only go to a couple of stores. I like getting in raffles becuase it is the least amount of effort.

Asked a store to keep me in mind for anything and got a call yesterday with Van Winkle Special Reserve 12yr old for $650:grin:

Well, last year I was able to get my 1st bottle of Van Winkle, the ORVW 10 yr old.

This year I was able to acquire the Lot B 12 year old -

post-10990-14489822959833_thumb.jpg

So I suppose at this rate, next year I'm on schedule to get the Family Reserve Rye 13 yr old [emoji1]

According to the bourbonr blog release map, Pappy was released to MS today. I think that map works by people reporting when they find/see a bottle.

Edit: Actually looks like several people got some Friday, so it's been available for a few days here.

According to the bourbonr blog release map, Pappy was released to MS today. I think that map works by people reporting when they find/see a bottle.

Edit: Actually looks like several people got some Friday, so it's been available for a few days here.

I think that means it was available on Friday and no longer is.

I think that means it was available on Friday and no longer is.

Haha yeah.. If i stumbled upon some I would totally buy it, but I'm not really actively looking for any so I'm okay with that.

Yes, it did release Friday in MS. A scant amount compared even to last years allocation. Stores I used to be able to get a couple bottles out of dried up long ago. Same goes for all LE's.

Yes, it did release Friday in MS. A scant amount compared even to last years allocation. Stores I used to be able to get a couple bottles out of dried up long ago. Same goes for all LE's.

This year, I didn't even call the places I got BTAC/VW from last year.

It seems like every year it's becoming a bigger and more extreme favor for them to sell me something.

I'm off the hunt for these until some strange turn of events takes the heat off of them. Nothing stays on top forever.

got a random call yesterday from a local ABC inviting me to a lottery on Saturday for ORVW 10 - it's not far and you must be present to win so of course I'm going.

I missed the TN release. It was last Wednesday and I was there on Monday. Bad timing, but had a friend pick up a WLW from a store there. $350... I would have passed anyways

I was fortunate to enter a raffle at a store that I frequent, and had a few choices of ORVW, ER17, Handy, and OFBB, I chose the ORVW for $52.59. I am not holding my breath for Pappy 15 this year, but have my name on a few lists. Happy Hunting everyone!

I just don't get it. Supposedly less bottles of everything this year, yet I see tons of people on instagram alone with multiple bottles of multiple whiskies (pappy, btac, and other HTF bottles) and I haven't even seen a bottle in any store this season.

Maybe more people know what pappy is now so now people proclaim it from on high when they score one.

I don't really know. I'm not searching any of them out. If one falls in my lap I would not pass it up, but I'm excited for my first try of ogd more than anything right now :)

I just don't get it. Supposedly less bottles of everything this year, yet I see tons of people on instagram alone with multiple bottles of multiple whiskies (pappy, btac, and other HTF bottles) and I haven't even seen a bottle in any store this season.

The kind of people who will go through the crap necessary to score a bottle are the kind of people who will also brag to the world when they get one. I suspect that something like 93.7% of all Pappy sales this year have been documented on social media.

Also, you're probably seeing the same bottles multiple times as they get flipped back and forth between flippers.

• fishnbowljoe unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.