About All Things Pappy/VanWinkle

wildcatdon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Your estimation might be pretty accurate. Most don't even know the difference between Buffalo Trace and Stitzel Weller.

Turns out the bottle of Pappy 20 I wouldn't buy sold for $900 an hour after I left the store.

These guys walk out the store grinnin like a possum eatin shit? Some things aren't meant to be understood.

The kind of people who will go through the crap necessary to score a bottle are the kind of people who will also brag to the world when they get one. I suspect that something like 93.7% of all Pappy sales this year have been documented on social media.

Also, you're probably seeing the same bottles multiple times as they get flipped back and forth between flippers.

I don't see the harm of sharing one's excitement with fellow bourbon lovers on this forum. I apologize if anyone thought that I was bragging when I shared my picture of Van Winkle Lot B on this forum after 2+ years of searching.

After years of bourbon drinking, I was able to source my FIRST ORVW this year (won in a raffle), I am excited, and in no way am I bragging. Just sharing in the excitement.

I don't see the harm of sharing one's excitement with fellow bourbon lovers on this forum. I apologize if anyone thought that I was bragging when I shared my picture of Van Winkle Lot B on this forum after 2+ years of searching.

I don't think the above comments were really a response to you; it's more a response to the people posting sweet PVW shots on Instagram (with awesome filters), for no other reason than to show off that you have it. No harm in being excited and sharing that excitement on a forum of enthusiasts!

I think he was referring to more of the mass social media. Not this forum in particular.

I just don't show and tell because:

A.) I'm way to private

B.) I don't know who's lurking around the forum.

Congrats on the find Sluggo.

Nothing wrong with it here, or anywhere for that matter. I just think it's crazy that this year's release is the lowest ever but I see it all over social media.

Thanks, I guess this forum would fad away if there were no posts or pictures of your collection. It's hard to interpret some peoples meaning in their posts.

I'm pretty sure this particular thread is private and guests can not access it so I think it's safe to share here.

I got a 10, a 12 and a 15 this fall. I may or may not have posted that I bought them in the "What Did You Purchase Today" thread; honestly can't recall. I'm sure I didn't post a picture. Not that I object to it, but as a general rule, that's not me. Plus, I'm technically challenged. Plus, I don't even have an InstaGram account, or a Twitter account. So I'm one of the chasking's 6.3%. Buying them near MSRP, buying them to drink.

I got a 10, a 12 and a 15 this fall. I may or may not have posted that I bought them in the "What Did You Purchase Today" thread; honestly can't recall. I'm sure I didn't post a picture. Not that I object to it, but as a general rule, that's not me. Plus, I'm technically challenged. Plus, I don't even have an InstaGram account, or a Twitter account. So I'm one of the chasking's 6.3%. Buying them near MSRP, buying them to drink.

I am happy that I still have several bottles of Pappy 15 and 20 from 2009 ($45 and $70), the last time I bought any. While I think it is a great bourbon, I won't pay the prices today because I don't think it is THAT much better. I do enjoy experimenting with some of my bourbon drinking friends:

1. I put Pappy 15 in an empty OWA bottle and OWA in the Pappy bottle. Nearly everyone proclaims how much better the "Pappy" is.

2. I put OWA in an empty Pappy 15 bottle next to a real bottle of Pappy 15. I have everyone try to guess the real Pappy 15 in a SBS. They have been correct about 50% of the time. I only pick the right one about 60% of the time.

Perception so influences many of us.

While I love my Pappy 15 (haven't tried the latest stuff though) is it really worth 4-5 times as much or more?

I am happy that I still have several bottles of Pappy 15 and 20 from 2009 ($45 and $70), the last time I bought any. While I think it is a great bourbon, I won't pay the prices today because I don't think it is THAT much better. I do enjoy experimenting with some of my bourbon drinking friends:

1. I put Pappy 15 in an empty OWA bottle and OWA in the Pappy bottle. Nearly everyone proclaims how much better the "Pappy" is.

2. I put OWA in an empty Pappy 15 bottle next to a real bottle of Pappy 15. I have everyone try to guess the real Pappy 15 in a SBS. They have been correct about 50% of the time. I only pick the right one about 60% of the time.

While I love my Pappy 15 (haven't tried the latest stuff though) is it really worth 4-5 times as much or more?

Blind SbS's are eye opening.....:lol:

Hey Tony ,what time you want me over, and what are the stakes?:cool:

My '29 BT delivery truck was working hard this year, she put on a lot of miles.

attachment.php?attachmentid=21820&stc=1

post-10789-14489822963488_thumb.jpg

post-10789-14489822963488_thumb.jpg

I love this. Well done. Need to try it on myself. While I'm sure I could pick out the real deal and its 40 layers of caramel, there's a reason why you do blind tastings.

i have been so humbled with the blind tastings me wife sets up for me at night.

Blind SbS's are eye opening.....:lol:

Hey Tony ,what time you want me over, and what are the stakes?:cool:

My '29 BT delivery truck was working hard this year, she put on a lot of miles.

attachment.php?attachmentid=21820&stc=1

i wish you would make and sell these....so cool.

Very cool. The truck and the bottles.

No one even asked for "the good stuff" last night - apparently caught up in the game/conversation and/or happy with the bottles I set out on the counter. I'm a bit surprised, but didn't get to try the Pappy switcheroo.

i wish you would make and sell these....so cool.

Well..... my name says it all.....you could try and google it. Thanks!

I think he was referring to more of the mass social media. Not this forum in particular.

This is absolutely correct. I was thinking mainly of a Facebook group I lurk on

On the topic of blind tastings, I think everybody should absolutely do blind tastings periodically just to keep themselves honest. One of the things blind tastings have taught me is that one's taste is not constant---a whiskey I loved in one tasting may just get a "meh" in another tasting a few weeks later, and vice versa. And, there are very very few whiskeys that can be consistently identified by flavor.

Not too long ago I did a blind tasting with a group of friends. We tried something from all the major distilleries, but I also included a ringer. Opinions had been pretty much all over the board, but almost everybody agreed that the last one was particularly good. It turned out that was an old SW Lot B. I think the SW whiskey is definitely different; I haven't had the more recent versions of that expression.

I figure this is the right thread for this fun little game...

The local shop that does a bourbon/rye raffle every winter posted this picture as a teaser for the event. Let's see if we can identify all the bottles:

attachment.php?attachmentid=21822&stc=1

Here's what I spied (highlight to uncover):

Lot B - 6

ORVW10 - 11

VW Rye - 1

PVW20 - 2

PVW23 - 1

Baby Saz - 3

OWA - 4?

W12 - 4

GTS - 3

WLW - 3

Sazerac 18 - 1

1792 Sweet Wheat or Port Finished - 4

JD SB BP - 5?

Jefferson's Ocean - 1

Yamazaki 12 yr - 1

WT Diamond - ?

FRSmB LE 2015?

Some wooden box behind the ORVW10, another next to the Baby Saz, and another box to the far left. Mystery!

post-11451-14489822964722_thumb.jpg

The box behind the ORVW10 looks to be RR 1998.

Ooh, good call. I am thinking that the narrow box next to the Baby Saz might be EC18.

Jason

• fishnbowljoe unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.