What bourbon are you drinking? Fall 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I welcomed fall today with a decent pour of OGD114 followed by a splash of GTS. The GTS is substantially superior, but OGD holds its own all things considered.

Meet a fellow SBer to swap some samples and split a couple of bottles. Ended up tasting a bunch

High West A Midwinter Nights Dram

Willett Family Estate 10 year K&L

Willett Family Estate 11 year D&M

Four Roses 2013 LE SiB

John J Bowman Single Barrel

Elijah Craig 23 year

I did a blind tasting of 3 different Four Roses recipes, but I got sidetracked by a phone call and neglected to mark the bottles I poured from.

I have no idea what they were, but I enjoyed them immensely.

Last night I had a couple pours of RRSB and WTRB 112. While I prefer the RRSB over the RB 112 I don't taste a $20 difference in them.

Last night had a Saz18 at a bar in the city. Also wanted to say that i believe i visited the best bourbon bar ever in Milwaukee last weekend (Distill). Their stock was so deep i think i would need at least a few visits to cover just the rare ones i wanted to try, plus a few more to cover the regulars i have not gotten to. But had pours of FR125thsmB, Vintage 17, Vintage Rye 21 and HW 21 Rye. I dont think any of them were over $20. I swear they had everything plus some, older vintages of BTAC down to a massive BiB collection.

Last night I had a couple pours of RRSB and WTRB 112. While I prefer the RRSB over the RB 112 I don't taste a $20 difference in them.

simple and to the point, on a question Ive been wondering myself. I like WT101 and new WTRB, and sometimes I think the $13 price difference is warranted, sometimes I don't. I've doubted there's enough difference between RB and RRSB110 to justify the $18-20 difference, and appreciate your opinion. I'll continue to wait to try it somewhere first, as I really haven't enjoyed 90 proof RR the several times I've had it, and wonder if its the same profile but higher proof.

HHSS Barrel 2. The nose has tons of creamy caramel and I was getting some mint and a nice smoke on the taste. The thick mouthfeel is great too.

My first ever HHSS, Barrel 2. Holy mother of caramel sweetness. Exceptional. Love this stuff upon the first pour and I suspect it will only get better.

A healthy pour of 1792 RR. The last of the bottle and it seems like the most enjoyable. Is it just nostalgia?

4RSB OBSK. 4R could market this stuff as a standalone along with OBSV, the herbal elements just explode.

I think I'm finally past this cold/bubonic plague that I picked up from my daughter, so I plan to get back into the swing of things tonight. Thinking about something strong like Stagg jr, but really considering popping the Parker's Heritage tonight instead...

Tried the mythical Kentucky Owl. I usually enjoy barrel strength but this was too far out of balance at BP so I duluted with a little water. Decent stuff reminds me of a woody four roses, I'd never pay the money on a bottle though with four roses barrel picks still around $50.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.