What bourbon are you drinking? Fall 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours of Anthony Bourdain and Old Blowhard. ... when younger I would o' been out & 'bout on a Saturday night, but maybe gettin' to Johnny Carson age because this is great.

pretentiously drinking gold HHBIB from a fancy glencairn, and not minding one bit!

You could have mixed/matched some VROHH 8 last weekend in the Gazebo...

Soaking up some HHSS #2 here with wall to wall sports on the tube.

Power packed night, starting with GTS '13 and currently on ECBP batch 5. Will probably follow with some OESQ.

Finished a bottle of Booker's with a final gigantic pour. Been sipping it for a couple hours. I never tire of the velvety mouth feel.

Sat down with a freshly cracked HHSS #2. Wow, this is so scary good that I may not be able to feel my legs by the time I get up. :falling:

You could have mixed/matched some VROHH 8 last weekend in the Gazebo...

a generous SB'er gave me two bottles of it months ago.....for free! I have yet to tear into them though....

thanks again BF

Had Woodford Reserve on a Delta flight. About to start leg 3 of a 6 leg round trip to South Africa. I predict I'll be drinking a lot of Woodford.

Lots of fun today in Lawrenceburg, Bardstown, and Louisville. Here's everything I had today:

Four Roses Yellow Label

Four Roses Small Batch

Four Roses Single Barrel

Rittenhouse Rye

Larceny

Elijah Craig 12

Rowan's Creek

Willett Pot Still

Noah's Mill

Willett Family Reserve 2 year rye

Maker's Mark Cask Strength

Booker's 25th Anniversary

Wild Turkey 112 proof

And just a few impressions. EC12 is the best bottle under $30 ever (but I already knew that). Willett 2 year smelled pretty great and was unique but I wasn't in love with the taste. Definitely brash and overtly harsh. Maker's Mark cask strength is kinda boring. No additional complexity despite the added alcohol. I will not be looking for a bottle. Bookers 25th was pretty well smoothened out for 65% but I wouldn't chase this one either. The new label Rare Breed is really nice... definitely better than the preview 108 proof version. And a special shoutout to 4R Yellow Label for officially going down in history as the first bourbon my girlfriend can tolerate! Hopefully this is the start of something...

First EW White Label BiB (yum)

Then JBDC (still not impressed with this one)

Then VOB BiB (ahhhh)

That Jim Beam Devils Cut does nothing for my palate.

I had some Evan Williams BIB as well. I really like the smooth vanilla/cola like notes that I get from it. It definitely hit the spot tonight.

Me and a buddy enjoyed pours of EC18 and MMCS while he brewed up 9 gallons of imperial stout to be filled in the barrel I brought home with me from KBF. I agree that MMCS is not very complex but my buddy and I really enjoyed it.

Tried some of the OF12 that was brought back to me from KY.,last night, I really like this stuff,should have got more,the only place he found it was at the HHGS.We also had some Larceny,and then ....yep you guessed it, vatted both of them... larceny 60/.. OF12/ 40, all I can say is WOW! this is a winner,had to have subsequent pours.

Did a sbs with hhss batch 2, dudgeon reserve cognac, sb blend w12/owa last night. The hhss is clearly a wheatear and has similar nose to owa, not as woody as w12. There are some obviously chalky grape notes like a cognac. The nose is a little closed tho, I would actually say both the sb and cognac had a clearer nose, more distinct as opposed to slightly muddled on the hhss. The palate however, hhss is one of the best bourbons I ever had. I tasted at barrel proof and every sip is like a roller coaster. Very light entry, for a second, almost tastes like a cognac, then flavor becomes very intense, huge sweet grape flavors, caramel, brown sugar, sweet and slightly acidic to balance. The finish is longggg and you get tons of the cognac barrel finish. Easy to sip at barrel proof. Water opens nose but diminishes the flavor explosion. Amazing stuff!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.