What bourbon are you drinking? Fall 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had a small tasting party today. Stared off with SB Blend, then HHSS #2, 4R SmB LE and ended with WTRR SB. All deemed good and worthy, but HHSS the hands down and far away winner.

I'll second that, we actually walked out of the place because of the prices.

Had me some WR,CEHT SB last night,tonight is tasting night from the bounty of the KBF that was muled back for me.

I went to Distil on Saturday evening and found the prices have actually gotten quite a bit better relative to what they were last time I was there. I found a few "value" pours that I ordered:

° Vintage 21yr rye - $9

° GTS 2010 - $13 (was a little short on the pour, so I was only charged $7)

° WLW 2012 - $12

I believe prices were for 1.5 oz pours, so not bad at all. Of course there were a few expensive bottles, which I didn't order, but that's to be expected.

I went to Distil on Saturday evening and found the prices have actually gotten quite a bit better relative to what they were last time I was there. I found a few "value" pours that I ordered:

° Vintage 21yr rye - $9

Tyler, that's a bargain! Would have been tempting to drain the bottle.

finished off a HHBIB and put it and an OGD114 out to recycle for tomorrows pickup. damn, that HH only lasted about 2 weeks.

Tyler, that's a bargain! Would have been tempting to drain the bottle.

It sure was! I had two pours, but will assuredly be back for more. It's a good thing the bottle was still 3/4 full when I left. :D

° Vintage 21yr rye - $9

° GTS 2010 - $13 (was a little short on the pour, so I was only charged $7)

° WLW 2012 - $12

I believe prices were for 1.5 oz pours, so not bad at all. Of course there were a few expensive bottles, which I didn't order, but that's to be expected.

I'm quite jealous, those are excellent prices. It's at least 3-4x your price and only 1oz pours.

I'm a little late in reporting, but Saturday night was our first tickets for this season at the Boston Symphony Orchestra. This was the big opening night, the premiere of new Music Director Andris Nelsons, the youngest in that position in over a century.

The opener was one of my favorite pieces, the Tannhauser Overture, perhaps more famous on the Internet as supplying some of the music in the Looney Tunes "What's Opera, Doc?" (especially the Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd love duet). Most of the rest of the concert featured operatic singing, and they closed with a big fanfare-type thing called "The Pines of Rome".

My favorite bartender was back, and the Knob Creek I ordered at intermission was, well, hefty (and I continued my tradition of tipping extra). A fine evening all around.

Last night was a nice pour of OWA while unwinding after chores. Must remember to make up some SB.com blend and set it aside to mingle.

Edited by Kalessin

Trying to clear out some bottles, having a pour of Willett Pot Still Reserve. If this is really a single barrel, and really a Kentucky bourbon, I'm having trouble guessing the source. Maybe Barton? Interestingly, the profile is somewhat reminiscent of the 2 yr WFE rye.

Anyway, not crazy about this. Seems like it could use some time in Gary's 5 liter barrel. Seems hot for 94 proof and tastes young. I think this is my new mixer. I'll save the HH BiB for sipping.

Tasting notes on the HHSS? I don't know about anyone else but I have 3 wheaters open right now and wheaters just don't have a powerful nose to me. They taste so good but I can't get my nose in there and get layers or flavors that I get on relatively rye heavy bourbons like four roses or BT mashbill 1 or 2 or scotch, cognac, tequila etc. Weller 12 has a relatively big nose (buttery wood and caramel) for a wheater for me but OWA and HHSS, I can barely get any notes off the nose, just tiny hints of fresh fruits, wood and alcohol vapors.

Had a small tasting party today. Stared off with SB Blend, then HHSS #2, 4R SmB LE and ended with WTRR SB. All deemed good and worthy, but HHSS the hands down and far away winner.
Edited by bin31z

A bit of 4R Small Batch tonight. Looks like my motorcycle trip coming up in a few weeks is headed straight through KY bourbon country. We're definitely planning some stops at some of the great distilleries along the way.

What do think about the FRSmB? Some nights I like it more than others. It also strikes me as pretty dry which seems in contrast to most people's experiences.

What do think about the FRSmB? Some nights I like it more than others. It also strikes me as pretty dry which seems in contrast to most people's experiences.

I don't experience as much of the dryness in 4R as compared to others. I find the Small Batch a bit sweet, with a nice leaning toward the rye blend that characterizes 4R. Of course, the single barrel offerings probably capture the subtleties of the flavors best.

opened the Fighting Cock a buddy gave me for my graduation present. you can always count on a guy friend getting one of these for you, just for the label.

I never know what to think on these. its almost like the selector took all the sweet and mellow 6 year stuff and put it in HH6BIB, and put all the 'hot' punchy stuff into the FC bottles. It always feels like a 110+ proofer too.

I'll never bunker these, but you can always count on one being here as a gift.

I've done the blind SBS with the single barrel twice. The results were different both times, but they're both good.

Tasting notes on the HHSS? I don't know about anyone else but I have 3 wheaters open right now and wheaters just don't have a powerful nose to me. They taste so good but I can't get my nose in there and get layers or flavors that I get on relatively rye heavy bourbons like four roses or BT mashbill 1 or 2 or scotch, cognac, tequila etc. Weller 12 has a relatively big nose (buttery wood and caramel) for a wheater for me but OWA and HHSS, I can barely get any notes off the nose, just tiny hints of fresh fruits, wood and alcohol vapors.

I'm only two pours into this bottle (not counting my friends), but immediately upon opening it was obvious that this HHSS #2 has a great layered and full nose. Wheater or not... plenty of dried fruit, vanilla, caramel, dry oak and slight ethanol.

Like you, I love the Weller nose (particularly the SB Blend), but this SS blows it away IMO and lingers lovingly in the empty glass long after it is gone.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.