What bourbon are you drinking? Fall 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I went to Distil on Saturday evening and found the prices have actually gotten quite a bit better relative to what they were last time I was there. I found a few "value" pours that I ordered:

° Vintage 21yr rye - $9

° GTS 2010 - $13 (was a little short on the pour, so I was only charged $7)

° WLW 2012 - $12

I believe prices were for 1.5 oz pours, so not bad at all. Of course there were a few expensive bottles, which I didn't order, but that's to be expected.

Dude, check out The Palm tavern in Bayview. I went there recently and was astounded at their list and prices. Definitely worth a visit. Kinda the place that makes me sad I live in Australia!

Dude, check out The Palm tavern in Bayview. I went there recently and was astounded at their list and prices. Definitely worth a visit. Kinda the place that makes me sad I live in Australia!

Palm Tavern is a regular stop for me. Haven't been there in a few months, but it's one of the better places in Milwaukee. It's just not within walking distance for me, so I tend to venture there less often.

A Private Selection 4RSB that was gifted to me from a good buddy in the neighborhood. This pick has a nice rickhouse wood type finish to it, which I really like. This woodiness is faint but noticeable on the nose, fades behind a nice Goetze's caramel and dried flower palate, and really pops big time on the finish. Outside the norm for my palate from a standard Single Barrel pick, and so, a real treat for me.

had some WTRB while making dinner. now re-trying the Jailers TN whiskey i grabbed at half price clearance. i still maintain it's rather dickel-esque, and the color is rather light.

Having a little Ewsb 2003 while out of town. Haven't had this in a while and always surprises me how good this is. $23 bucks!post-10688-14489821503558_thumb.jpg

I really enjoy the 03

Having a little Ewsb 2003 while out of town. Haven't had this in a while and always surprises me how good this is. $23 bucks![ATTACH]19448[/ATTACH]

VOB6 and HMcK 10yr.

I really dig the VOB6 - a fine bourbon for about $13 a bottle.

Not as fond of Henry McKenna 10yr BIB. Some here love it, especially store select bottles. I don't dislike it by any means, but I can't get past the wood notes I get. Too strong. Not my favorite or one I need to repeat.

I've had some McKenna that was very good and some that was less so, maybe batching would iron out the inconsistencies.

Me too, but I've had more bottles of the latter than the former so I've struck it from my must have list. At least for now.

You can pay more and have more complex ones. But for 23 bucks, I'd challenge you to find a better bourbon.

I loaded up on a 2003 store pick last year and it's a fantastic value. I tried three different barrels and stocked up on a K&L pick that I found had more caramel and vanilla on the nose with a better finish. At first I thought I was going overboard getting 9 bottles but now I'm down to 4.

So my wife and I are expecting our first child. Due date was October 23rd. Yesterday they told us she was high risk and they needed to induce. So while packing I guess I was forgetting stuff, putting things in wrong places, and dropping things. She then out the blue says "hey you might want to fill up your flask and bring it". I respond good idea. And here I am sitting with a great wife and some great bourbon.

post-11551-14489821506519_thumb.jpg

So my wife and I are expecting our first child. Due date was October 23rd. Yesterday they told us she was high risk and they needed to induce. So while packing I guess I was forgetting stuff, putting things in wrong places, and dropping things. She then out the blue says "hey you might want to fill up your flask and bring it". I respond good idea. And here I am sitting with a great wife and some great bourbon.

[ATTACH]19455[/ATTACH]

Our better halves are so much cooler than us in stressful times! :D Y'all are in our thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted.

:toast:

She then out the blue says "hey you might want to fill up your flask and bring it".

[ATTACH]19455[/ATTACH]

If I ever get married again, I want one of those!

If I ever get married again, I want one of those!

Joe and Phil thanks for the kind words. Yea I must say I really lucked out. We went old school decided not learn the baby's gender.

By the way, I filled the flask with some Evan Williams BIB. It's been my everyday go-to since I got the bottle. I like both Heaven Hill 4&6 BIB better but the EW BIB is more accessible to me so I lean on it more.

Well, to keep the mojo going then, it's HH BIB 6 yr out of the fridge!

WR Double Oak. Like licking a copper spoon dipped in bourbon. Little ice and much smoother.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.