What bourbon did you pass up today? Fall/Winter 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

x2

I want to pick up a bottle of Bookers but they go for 65-80 by me.

Why so expensive?

Bourbon boom + location. I found some for $40 here a couple months ago, but $50 seems to be the new minimum here.

Man, I would have been all over it at that price. It's always over $60 in these parts

i love bookers, but i only go through about a bottle and a half a year, so I only buy it when I see it on sale. Every now and then, I find it for $43 or so, and Ill bring one home. I dont need to reiterate my feelings on $50+ bottles....

midwinters night dram and saos 10 yo both at $79.99

Edited by typoerror

Passed up Beam BIB. Every time I have it in my cart, I end up passing on it when I think that I have an ample supply of 7 year 103 proof Kirkland Beam juice at $20/L.

Passed on a local FRSB OBSO for $55, for no good reason other than I don't really NEED one (but making a mental note for post-sampler weekend purchases).

Passed on the 2015 Booker's Big Man, Small Batch. Most places around me are charging a small premium for this while they've still got 2014 Bookers on the shelf. Sorry, I just can't see a reason to pay more for essentially the same thing.

Passed on MMCS for $70/750 last night. It was nice to finally see it up here, but I couldn't bring myself to pay almost 3x the price for a modest proof-increase in a whiskey I find adequate-but-overpriced to begin with. I also noted that the color was identical compared to the same sized standard offering (understandable given the humble increase in proof). I may change my mind, as I do love most barrel proofers, and I wouldn't bat an eye paying close to that for a good 4R recipe.

Passed on a local FRSB OBSO for $55, for no good reason other than I don't really NEED one (but making a mental note for post-sampler weekend purchases).

Mrs Fox and i stopped in a new liquor store today to grab a few bottles of wine and some woodchuck for a cookout with friends tonight. Everything was on sale at a good price........Bookers big man bottles for $46, KC for $26 with a $5 coupon on the neck, HMcKBIB for $26, and so forth. Didnt grab any, but will be going back in a few days. I do get a few when I see Bookers at that price, and KC for $21 is a no-brainer.

the Bookers was 2015-01. is this a roundtable batch, or are all the batches using this new numbering system now?

passed up a Stagg Jr. at $49. Probably should have picked it up...

Also saw the new green label Beam Rye for the first time in this area.

Edited by emr454

the Bookers was 2015-01. is this a roundtable batch, or are all the batches using this new numbering system now?

There have been other Bookers batches in 2013 and 2014 that used that numbering system but weren't roundtable batches. I haven't read anything that the new one is roundtable, but they're definitely putting more emphasis on the different batches with their new labeling.

Had to pass on a Weller SR today, at a price of $39.95 + Tax. It's the only one I've seen in my area this year. At the same shop, saw a 750 of EG 23yo. I don't know much about EG at all, especially the 23yo, however, I thought I may pick it up at a good price (I was thinking $100/$125) but the asking price was $229.00 + Tax. Hell, that may have been a fair price, but I just didn't know.

Had to pass on a Weller SR today, at a price of $39.95 + Tax. It's the only one I've seen in my area this year. At the same shop, saw a 750 of EG 23yo. I don't know much about EG at all, especially the 23yo, however, I thought I may pick it up at a good price (I was thinking $100/$125) but the asking price was $229.00 + Tax. Hell, that may have been a fair price, but I just didn't know.

Do you mean Elijah Craig 23? MSRP for that was $199, so $229 isn't crazy, but it is a lot of money.

Wow, that's steep for the WSR. You can get a handle of it here for $45.The store I was at today had boatloads of WSR and OWA handles but no W12 at all.

Do you mean Elijah Craig 23? MSRP for that was $199, so $229 isn't crazy, but it is a lot of money.

Yes, Elijah Craig 23

Ya, it's a lot of money and for me it's an unknown, as I have never had it, or any of the other EG offerings.

Yes, Elijah Craig 23

Ya, it's a lot of money and for me it's an unknown, as I have never had it, or any of the other EG offerings.

Try EC12 sometime, that'll give you an idea of the EC profile (and for under 30 bucks).

Edited by dcbt

Passed on a MM cask strength 750 at 57 and Stagg jr at 49. Not bad prices and happy to see them on the shelf locally but only had budgeted for one bottle today.

Passed on the new HW Bourye, a ton of Forged Oak, and some good sales on BT and 4RSB.

I also came across those new tequilas finished in ORVW, BT, and Saz barrels. Interesting, but I hate tequila.

Passed on the new HW Bourye, a ton of Forged Oak, and some good sales on BT and 4RSB.

I also came across those new tequilas finished in ORVW, BT, and Saz barrels. Interesting, but I hate tequila.

I also passed on the new Bourye today at $69. Curious to know the price around your neck of the woods.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!