Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Fall/Winter 2014

garbanzobean
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Indeed, when I said "new bottling," that is what I meant. I'm excited to try it. Bet it's delicious.

I found a dusty Talisker 175th Anniversary (bottled 2005) today for $89.00, so I brought it home with me.

Look forward to your report! Do you have an "older" 12 to try SBS?
Unfortunately, I do not. I've had the older bottling recently, but it is long gone. I think the folks at GlenDronach will do us all proud though.

"Old" bottlings of Glendronach are still in most stores. I've done a side by side and find the older stuff to have quite a bit more character and have more sherry influence. I did a side by side by side of the old 90's bottling of glendronach 15, glendronach 12 (18 years old), and new glendronach 12. The old 15 was the best BUT there was a whiff of sulfur that I could not get over and render the whole bottles almost undrinkable to me.

Look forward to your report! Do you have an "older" 12 to try SBS?

I found a dusty Talisker 175th Anniversary (bottled 2005) today for $89.00, so I brought it home with me.

GREAT price on some very nice malt.

whattttttt...mind me asking how much the tun 1401 was?

The Tun were $249 each plus tax. I've found quite a few around Wisconsin over the past year and I've rarely seen them higher than this. I picked up one at $269, but that's about as high as I've seen it.

Rescued these guys today from a shelf full of dust. :D

GREAT SCORE!!! I've never tried the Springbank 100 proof before, how is it?

GREAT price on some very nice malt.

I was very surprised to see it, and to see that they had marked it DOWN from its original (years ago) price of $98! This is a very small store that I suspect has a lot of odd old bottles lurking in the back room that occasionally make their way to the shelf.

My buddy is in IL at the moment and was able to pick up a bottle of Laphroaig 18 for me. It was about $40 cheaper then what I can find locally. Should have bought more but this was already a non-budgeted purchase.

Wanted to pick up a few things as a thank you to the store for holding a GTS for me for the day. Grabbed a Dalmore 12 and a Hart Bros Springbank 12, which was bottled in 2005.

Wanted to pick up a few things as a thank you to the store for holding a GTS for me for the day. Grabbed a Dalmore 12 and a Hart Bros Springbank 12, which was bottled in 2005.

That Hart Bros Springer is awesome. Seems sometime last year or earlier this year a distributor found a bunch of cases of the stuff and spread it out over the area. I've seen it priced from $50-$90. I bought as many as I could at $50 but $90's a bit high.

Picked up a K&L Longmorn 21 year. Checks all the boxes for me, sherry, single cask, cask strength. Too bad I missed out on last year's 20 year old longmorn first fill sherry, heard it was awesome. I eyed a cute little mini bottle of great king street blend but decided to grab a bottle of champagne instead, I have enough blended scotch at home.

Rescued these guys today from a shelf full of dust. :D

zpj6wqY.jpg?1

Wow, that's a great find! I would have done the exact same thing and brought everything home.

Wow, that's a great find! I would have done the exact same thing and brought everything home.

Me too, except I would be sure to sneak them in the back door so my wife wouldn't see...

Powers John's Lane. Just because I like to keep one of these open, it was the last one on the shelf, it had been taunting me to buy it for the past few months, and I'm curious to see if they get more or replace its spot with something else. By the way, in my area the price of Redbreast has shot up about 25%, to the point where the 15 is now over $90. Crazy, and I haven't seen any of the 12 cask strength lately.

Powers John's Lane. Just because I like to keep one of these open, it was the last one on the shelf, it had been taunting me to buy it for the past few months, and I'm curious to see if they get more or replace its spot with something else. By the way, in my area the price of Redbreast has shot up about 25%, to the point where the 15 is now over $90. Crazy, and I haven't seen any of the 12 cask strength lately.

The rapid rise of the Redbreast bottles is really annoying. Given that Powers John's Lane is coming from essentially the same source just with different barrel management makes me concerned it to will rise too but so far it doesn't seem to sell as fast and so I guess stores haven't had to buy more at presumably higher prices. I tend to prefer the JPL to the RB12 and 15 so I put several of the PJL's in the bunker so I am good for awhile. But no good replacement for the RB cask strength as there is little in the way of regularly available CS Irish whiskey, much less cask strength single pot still, so when it is gone I will have to consider if I want to pay the increased price presuming I can even find it.

Grabbed a bottle of Big Peat Christmas Edition, 53.4% abv for around $50. I think that puts it as one of the 2013 batches (it came in a cloth sack).

Decided to branch out from bourbon and picked up the Glenfiddich 15 based on articles that said its a good transition pour for bourbon drinkers.

While I enjoyed it, I think I definitely need to keep revisiting it. Look forwarded to trying some more pours.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.