Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Fall/Winter 2014

garbanzobean
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

After a taste in New Orleans at Tales and again in Atlanta thanks to Transtaffl I picked up two bottles of Nikka Coffee Malt Whisky. Sounds like some sort of weird coffee infused junk but the coffee refers to the still used, not the flavor. Delicious stuff.

Did you find it here in the US? I have seen the Coffey Grain but not the Coffey Malt.

To fill out my Nikka options I added a Miyagikyo 12yo in the bottles I got from K&L this week. This is presumably similar to the Coffey Malt but using the usual pot stills for distillation instead of the Coffey still at Miyagikyo distillery.

The two I got were the last two remaining at Masters of Malt UK. Couldn't find any in the USA.

Rumor is that the Nikka Coffey Malt will follow its sibling, Nikka Coffey Grain, to the US but it apparently hasn't happened yet. I will keep watching for it.

Springbank 10yo 100 proof for what seems like a reasonable $68. I can't remember ever seeing this before...but maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention

Springbank 10yo 100 proof for what seems like a reasonable $68. I can't remember ever seeing this before...but maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention

Dewar's Signature for $149 and Talisker 18 for $99.99 ... couldn't pass up those prices, regardless of what they were a couple of years ago (at least in the case of the Talisker).

Found a stash of Laphroig 18 for $85.99. One came home with me. And a Clynelish 14 for $52.99. I was look for the stray BTAC in the wild, yeah right, and was pleasantly surprised to find these.

Got a surprise FedEx today. Mrs. Jvd99 and my mother-in-law got me the Premium Whisky Advent Calendar from Master of Malt. I must have been on the really good list this year. Can't wait 'till 12/1. I'll make a few posts to let you all know what was in it.

Got a Bunnahabhain 12. Not had it before, looking forward to trying it.

Bunnahabhain seems to be the least talked about of the eight Islay distillers. Is it because it is generally milder and mostly unpeated? Are they really small in comparison to most of the others? Or maybe just not as good?

Bought 2 bottles of the Lagavulin 12 Year 2014 version. Haven't seen many (or any) reviews, will probably open one after I finish the Ardbeg open on my bar.

Bought 2 bottles of the Lagavulin 12 Year 2014 version. Haven't seen many (or any) reviews, will probably open one after I finish the Ardbeg open on my bar.

Serge gave it a 93, but he's a sucker for Lagavulin. I'm sure its outstanding.

Laphroaig 10 yr. New price is $39.99/bottle which is a great price for a rock solid Islay. Picked up a couple of bottles. At this price may load up the bunker.

Bunnahabhain seems to be the least talked about of the eight Islay distillers. Is it because it is generally milder and mostly unpeated? Are they really small in comparison to most of the others? Or maybe just not as good?

At $50, the Bunnahabhain 12 is one of the best deals in malt, IMO.

Added a Compass Box Orangerie on a bit of a whim. Seemed like a potential holiday type whisky to share and I generally like what CB does.

And a lot cheaper than Willett XCF...

I'm not a huge peat fan, to be honest. My decision to buy was it being on offer (in the UK at least), and some good reviews online. I'm not too up on my Scotches, must be said. But that does mean I go in with no bias!

Edited by beasled

Finally received my bottle of G&M Ardmore 15 CS for D&M. Really excited to crack this beast open soon.

Agreed. I'm a big fan of the Bunnahabhain 12.

Agreed. I'm a big fan of the Bunnahabhain 12.

Oh, I like it as well and have a bottle. I think it is very pleasant as well as a great deal. Or was, haven't priced one in a while! Just didn't seem to get much love in general that I had noticed recently.

Oh, I like it as well and have a bottle. I think it is very pleasant as well as a great deal. Or was, haven't priced one in a while! Just didn't seem to get much love in general that I had noticed recently.

I want to try it before I buy it, since it hovers at $60-$65 around here. Seems way higher than other locales.

Went on a hunting trip today while drivimg to my Uncles. Picked up a Berrys's CS Clynelish 15 for $60 and found Caol Isla 18 for only $70 in a dusty old shop. There were three more bottles left and I think I should have bought more!

Not scotch, but also bought an Old Monk Rum 12yr old and a Midwinter Nights Dram.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.