Orphan Barrel Lost Prophet

gooneygoogoo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Saw the new release will be 22 year 90.1 proof and $125. I think I'll pass at that price even though I really like Barterhouse and it would be fun to do a vertical with all of the releases.

At a buck and a quarter, I think I'll sit on the sidelines unless I see something that leads me to believe it will be a can't miss. That "something" will have to be "something" though at 90 proof.

Yeah - I picked up a Rhetoric thinking I'll buy one of each year to see how it ages, and made a sample for such comparison purposes. But I'm thinking more and more that I'll maybe buy ONE more of them. Just have way too much great whiskey to be paying over $50 for whiskey that is only "interesting" in some academic sense.

I saw John Hansell posted on Twitter that this was distilled at the George T Stagg distillery in 1991 with a 15% rye mash bill. Does that make this Ancient Ancient Ancient Age?

Ooooooh, I can hardly wait for it to show up in Michigan....

So, I can see which 'suckers' buy this (likely) dog.

I got sucked in on a Barterhouse when it came out. BIG disappointment.

Tasted the older one, and thought to myself; "Jeez I'm so damned glad I tried it before buying"... which never happened, of course.

I saw John Hansell posted on Twitter that this was distilled at the George T Stagg distillery in 1991 with a 15% rye mash bill. Does that make this Ancient Ancient Ancient Age?

Rhetoric release is kind of neat, depending on future release prices. This one for $125 I'll let someone else go first.

Looks like "Orphan Barrel" has more than Bernheim up its sleeve. I think the critics will like this one for that reason alone. Have to wonder just how many different ones they have if they're releasing 3-5 bottlings a year.

Looks like "Orphan Barrel" has more than Bernheim up its sleeve. I think the critics will like this one for that reason alone. Have to wonder just how many different ones they have if they're releasing 3-5 bottlings a year.

If that is true, color me intrigued. Is there a difference between that distillation and what is in BT #2?

My guess is Diageo wants to take advantage of the bourbon boom/bubble now and clear out their warehouses before it's too late. I expect we will see more like this.
Yeah. The "George T. Stagg" distillery provenance alone is likely to result in blind buys. It actually piqued my interest until my common sense kicked my love for shiny new objects in the family jewels (I don't generally like 20+ year old bourbon). If it were 6-7 years younger and about half the MSRP, I'd buy a bottle to try. As is, I'll probably just hope one of my friends buys a bottle so I can taste it.

If that is true, color me intrigued. Is there a difference between that distillation and what is in BT #2?

Assuming the info is correct and they haven't changed their mash bills since 1991, I'd say it sounds like BT #2.

Assuming the info is correct and they haven't changed their mash bills since 1991, I'd say it sounds like BT #2.
The whiskey will have to speak for itself, but this seems like a pretty cool thing for bourbon nerds to try.

The whiskey will have to speak for itself, but this seems like a pretty cool thing for bourbon nerds to try.
\

For someone who is downright in love with Mashbill #2, I am more than excited.

I love me some Mashbill 2 as well. I went from no interest to very interested. Wish the price were better as I've pretty much stopped all whiskey purchases in that range.

From the Whiskey Advocate:

The mashbill for Lost Prophet is 75-78% corn, 7-10% barley, and 15% rye. Serious whiskey enthusiasts will note that this is similar to the “high rye” #2 mash bill formula at Buffalo Trace—the mash bill similar to such brands as Ancient Age, Elmer T. Lee, and Blanton’s. It’s bottled at 90.1 proof (45.05% ABV) and will list for about $120. Similar to Old Blowhard, this will be a one-time release.

Most importantly, how does it taste? I’m happy to report that it’s easily the best of the four Orphan Barrel whiskeys released to date. It’s complex, balanced, easy to drink, and not over-oaked. Sure, the spice notes (clove, cinnamon), oak grip, and notes of leather are there (it is a 22 year old whiskey, after all), but there’s also a lovely lower layer of sweeter notes (honeyed fruit, soft vanilla, coconut custard) for balance, along with a nice creamy texture. It’s a complete package.

This is a 22 year old whiskey. If you don’t like well-aged whiskeys, you might want to try it before you buy it. But, when compared to other 20+ year old bourbons in this age range (Pappy Van Winkle 23 yr. old, Elijah Craig 23 yr. old, Old Blowhard 26 yr. old, etc.), this whiskey has them beat. And at $120, it’s a better value.

http://whiskyadvocate.com/whisky/2014/11/13/orphan-barrel-whiskey-release-4-lost-prophet/

Oh man, I hope this stays under the radar for everyone and stays on the shelves like the other Orphan Barrel releases because I don't want to have to fight for a bottle of this.

When is this supposed to be hitting shelves?

On Twitter, John Hansell replied to me and said he was told that it ships in December.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.