Orphan Barrel Lost Prophet

gooneygoogoo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Can you point me to where there is first-hand info on the heavy filtering that Diageo used? I haven't been able to find anything on that.

Can anyone point me to where there is any first-hand info on the "heavy filtering" that any bourbon distiller is using? Has used?

I'm not trying to be obtuse in this, but frankly, I don't recall reading the term "heavy filtering" on these boards in my 11 years here. Chill filtering, and general filtering steps in bourbon production, sure. But, this "heavy filtering" that is claimed as being practiced with certain bourbons...no. All of a sudden, I'm seeing it everywhere. But, I haven't seen any specifics to its use, the procedures in its practice, evidence of its use, or anything else for that matter. Personally, I have my own theories in regards to filtering and its impact on the evolution of bourbon whiskey from the pre-glut era style to what we see today. I've done some minor research into the area, and have discussed it with other enthusiasts over the years. So, I'm not discounting the idea of filtering as integral in impacting bourbon taste profiles, at all. But, why all of a sudden is there such conviction that it is being used, and is the reason for certain aspects in a bourbons flavor profile to show (or not show :)), other than personal taste?

Can anyone point me to where there is any first-hand info on the "heavy filtering" that any bourbon distiller is using? Has used?

I'm not trying to be obtuse in this, but frankly, I don't recall reading the term "heavy filtering" on these boards in my 11 years here. Chill filtering, and general filtering steps in bourbon production, sure. But, this "heavy filtering" that is claimed as being practiced with certain bourbons...no. All of a sudden, I'm seeing it everywhere. But, I haven't seen any specifics to its use, the procedures in its practice, evidence of its use, or anything else for that matter. Personally, I have my own theories in regards to filtering and its impact on the evolution of bourbon whiskey from the pre-glut era style to what we see today. I've done some minor research into the area, and have discussed it with other enthusiasts over the years. So, I'm not discounting the idea of filtering as integral in impacting bourbon taste profiles, at all. But, why all of a sudden is there such conviction that it is being used, and is the reason for certain aspects in a bourbons flavor profile to show (or not show :)), other than personal taste?

Joe,

Here is one link that you might find to be helpful:

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2015/01/filtration-way-to-improve-whiskey-or.html

It is not precisely what you asked for, but it is what I was referring to in the above post.

Joe,

Here is one link that you might find to be helpful:

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2015/01/filtration-way-to-improve-whiskey-or.html

It is not precisely what you asked for, but it is what I was referring to in the above post.

Thanks for posting that, G. I have read that post. Good info and some interesting comments and discussions following it, as well. One of which I copy below:

I wrote about filtration because it is not usually in the discussion except for the handful of brands that boast 'not chill-filtered.' There, of course, you can't taste 'the difference' because there is nothing to compare them to.

Although filtration has gotten more sophisticated, it is still a blunt instrument. You can't fine tune a flavor profile as you might like, turning this up and that down like some kind of multi-channel mixer.

Not a fan. Decent but not great nose. It's watered down in terms of proof and flavor. There's something unpleasant on the back end. The finish isn't there. I much prefer Barterhouse.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect, but is there any hope of finding a bottle of Lost Prophet?  I actually really liked the one I got but sadly it's dwindling down quickly.  I know it came out almost 2 years ago, and was a "limited release", although with Diageo who knows. 

I like the BT #2 mashbill and like a lot of oak, so the LP was pretty in my book.

I guess the other thing that kind of throws me is I know in the copy it said a "once it's gone it's gone", but aren't they releasing a collection of the Orphan Barrel releases later this year?  I just started getting into bourbons in November so I haven't put in a ton of time (although I've tried a bunch) but have there been multiple releases or just the one in 2014?

Or are there other "higher rye", aged (15+) bourbons out there?  There aren't many that pop into my head.

On 6/17/2016 at 4:02 PM, fenderbender4 said:

Sorry to resurrect, but is there any hope of finding a bottle of Lost Prophet?  I actually really liked the one I got but sadly it's dwindling down quickly.  I know it came out almost 2 years ago, and was a "limited release", although with Diageo who knows. 

I like the BT #2 mashbill and like a lot of oak, so the LP was pretty in my book.

It is still on shelves around here, but for comically inflated prices.  $200-$300 I think.

1 hour ago, garbanzobean said:

It is still on shelves around here, but for comically inflated prices.  $200-$300 I think.

Ah yeah, I see some online vendors and yeah, not worth it at that price point (I mean is any bottle of alcohol?).  But I guess that means there are still a few places that have it.

Edited by fenderbender4

On 6/19/2016 at 3:46 AM, fenderbender4 said:

Or are there other "higher rye", aged (15+) bourbons out there?  There aren't many that pop into my head.

If Lost Profit is BT#2 then it's basically a standard rye recipe bourbon mashbill and so basically any extra (over) aged bourbon would fit the bill.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2016 at 5:55 AM, jsrudd said:

If Lost Profit is BT#2 then it's basically a standard rye recipe bourbon mashbill and so basically any extra (over) aged bourbon would fit the bill.  

Yeah, the only others I can think of that would be close would be KC2001 and WTMK or something and both of those have their respective "signature flavors" that I'm not really looking for.

Most of the other extra aged bourbons seem to be the lower rye variety.

Edited by fenderbender4

On 7/5/2016 at 9:54 AM, fenderbender4 said:

Yeah, the only others I can think of that would be close would be KC2001 and WTMK

Eagle Rare 17, Elijah Craig 18-23 and Evan Williams 23 are likely to be similar. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2016 at 8:39 PM, jsrudd said:

Eagle Rare 17, Elijah Craig 18-23 and Evan Williams 23 are likely to be similar. 

It'd be easier for me to find OBLP.

On 6/18/2016 at 3:46 PM, garbanzobean said:

Well if you consider LP was $150 originally, in my area at least, $200 for a "limited" 22 year old Stagg/Buffalo Trace whiskey that came out 2 years ago isn't entirely out of line with prices these days.  Now you could argue that $50 over MSRP is pretty significant when the MSRP was already higher than it should have been.  Then again, "what should this whiskey cost" is irrelevant in many cases because it really comes down to "what will I pay for it."

I bought a bottle because of the provenance and, upon tasting, enjoyed its uniqueness.  I then went out and bought another for the bunker, under the assumption that it was truly a limited offering (which appears to have been the case).  I don't reach for it often, so my open bottle will probably last a while.

To Fenderbender, if you haven't had OB Barterhouse, the age is very similar to LP so a lot of those over-oaked characteristics are there.  Granted it is Bernheim and not Stagg/Buffalo Trace.  Barterhouse is still on the shelves around me for $70-$80.

Jason

2 hours ago, jp_stargazer said:

Well if you consider LP was $150 originally, in my area at least, $200 for a "limited" 22 year old Stagg/Buffalo Trace whiskey that came out 2 years ago isn't entirely out of line with prices these days.  Now you could argue that $50 over MSRP is pretty significant when the MSRP was already higher than it should have been.  Then again, "what should this whiskey cost" is irrelevant in many cases because it really comes down to "what will I pay for it."

I bought a bottle because of the provenance and, upon tasting, enjoyed its uniqueness.  I then went out and bought another for the bunker, under the assumption that it was truly a limited offering (which appears to have been the case).  I don't reach for it often, so my open bottle will probably last a while.

To Fenderbender, if you haven't had OB Barterhouse, the age is very similar to LP so a lot of those over-oaked characteristics are there.  Granted it is Bernheim and not Stagg/Buffalo Trace.  Barterhouse is still on the shelves around me for $70-$80.

Jason

Cool, thanks for the heads up on the Barterhouse similarity.  Been curious but also hesitant about it.  I've tried the rhetoric 21 and 22, and were different than the LP to me, despite being similar in age.

20 hours ago, fenderbender4 said:

Cool, thanks for the heads up on the Barterhouse similarity.  Been curious but also hesitant about it.  I've tried the rhetoric 21 and 22, and were different than the LP to me, despite being similar in age.

Just for clarification, I think the similarity between Barterhouse and Lost Prophet are in the oaky, tannic profile due to age.  The mashbills are different, so if the higher rye % is what you enjoy about LP, Barterhouse (and Rhetoric, Forged Oak, and Old Blowhard) is 86% corn, 8% barley, and 6% rye.  Compare this to the 15% rye for LP.

Jason

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.